Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the rule for Poly mods? (Half the capacitance?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the rule for Poly mods? (Half the capacitance?)

So my onboard LAN died, so I had to get a new LAN card. It's a decent card. I even outfitted a VGA RAM heatsink on the main chip. The problem I have most with it are these crappy little lytics it has. Capacitor selection has become an obsessive disease lately. Something that I might have considered in the past is now becoming inferior with my new knowledge of capacitors.

Anyway, just for the hell of it, I want to replace these caps.

I can't find that thread I think either PCBONEZ or someone else made that had a lot of info on that. Maybe someone could direct me?

Otherwise, what is the rule for replacing electrolytics with polymers? Half the capacitance?

The card was only $10, so if it doesn't work, It's not that much off an offset.

Thanks.

Re: What's the rule for Poly mods? (Half the capacitance?)

Half capacitance of the lytic is a good rule of thumb, but sometimes its just trial and error.

I just got done polymodding some GX745's, good trial, no error.....and they should last damn near forever!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Thanks Topcat!

By trial and error, you mean: It might actually be closer to the lytic capacitance than you think?

Comment

When I say trial and error, I mean using what you have on hand, as long as you aren't over-volting them. Then seeing how it works, measuring ripple, and the best test of all, seeing how stable the system is afterward.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          When I say trial and error, I mean using what you have on hand, as long as you aren't over-volting them. Then seeing how it works, measuring ripple, and the best test of all, seeing how stable the system is afterward.
          Oh...Well, maybe I'll just get some Nichicon HZs or something. Should last just as long. Maybe not theoretically, but for its own lifetime.

How do you measure ripple? O-Scope?

Comment

It's not that easy.
            -
            The 1/2 the uF as a thumb-rule only applies to VRM's and it's based on a tech doc discussing VRM's.
            IIRC it was an application guide for a VRM controller IC chip. Kc8 posted it here a few years ago.
            In essence, he was doing poly mods and I asked him how he knew how much uF to use.
            He answered saying 1/2 the uF and posted that PDF file as the proof.
            -
            The '1/2 the uF thumb-rule' is also based on lowing the ESR more than a little bit.
            There are now some lytics that have lower ESR than some polys.
            That is due to lower grade polys coming into the market since the rule was 'invented' when I asked kc8 for one.
            Any ole poly won't do.
            You STILL have to check specs on new and old just as you do with lytics.

IOW: The rule -assumes- you are working on a VRM.
            It does not blanketly apply to any application because in some the uF might be critical to the circuit's operation.

If it's not in a VRM you either:
            - trace the circuit, look up the chips coils and caps, and then do the math.
            - cross your fingers and jump in a blind leap of faith.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
              It's not that easy.
              -
              The 1/2 the uF as a thumb-rule only applies to VRM's and it's based on a tech doc discussing VRM's.
              IIRC it was an application guide for a VRM controller IC chip. Kc8 posted it here a few years ago.
              In essence, he was doing poly mods and I asked him how he knew how much uF to use.
              He answered saying 1/2 the uF and posted that PDF file as the proof.
              -
              The '1/2 the uF thumb-rule' is also based on lowing the ESR more than a little bit.
              There are now some lytics that have lower ESR than some polys.
              That is due to lower grade polys coming into the market since the rule was 'invented' when I asked kc8 for one.
              Any ole poly won't do.
              You STILL have to check specs on new and old just as you do with lytics.

IOW: The rule -assumes- you are working on a VRM.
              It does not blanketly apply to any application because in some the uF might be critical to the circuit's operation.

If it's not in a VRM you either:
              - trace the circuit, look up the chips coils and caps, and then do the math.
              - cross your fingers and jump in a blind leap of faith.

Thanks for the explanation but I think I'll just use some high quality lytics.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9466

I gave two GA-7VA motherboards a FULL poly-mod (replaced EVERY single cap with polys). I used half the capacitance for the VRM caps, but for the others, I reduced it slightly, but not down to half. Where there were originally 1000uF caps, I used 820uF polys.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hmmm...I am intriguing.

However, even a bunch of OSTs would be an improvement over whatever rubbish is on this card right now.

But VERY nice job on the full poly mod.

AH! So confusing. Maybe I'll buy a trial card. (It was like $10 on Newegg) I'll try some polys on those.

If I don't burn the card into oblivion when soldering it 6000 times, I might try it for real on the good card.

Comment

Shucks...I have a Weller WLC100 station and the stock iron it came with (that I am using), doesn't have a grounded tip. According to the badcaps FAQs, I need. One.

Anyway to ground it?

Comment

That's fine.
                      Concern over static on the tip when you are working on caps is rather silly.
                      Caps charge and discharge by design. Static won't hurt them.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Ah...Good. Though that Weller isn't considered to be one of their professional units, it still wasn't all that cheap...and to see my investment not be able to do something would make me sad.

I'm just curious why that is written up on this website under the Recapping tutorials...Hmm...

So let's try to find some decent caps and give it a whirl!

Thanks.

Comment

For the same reason you shouldn't use a cell phone in a gas station.
                          We wouldn't want that little Ultra High Frequency "UHF" transmitter [that you hold right against your head] to set the gas on fire, now would we?

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                            For the same reason you shouldn't use a cell phone in a gas station.
                            We wouldn't want that little Ultra High Frequency "UHF" transmitter [that you hold right against your head] to set the gas on fire, now would we?
                            Liability?

Comment

Well meaning yet clueless 'rule makers'.

I the entire existence of mankind there has not been a single instance of a cell phone transmission causing a fire.
                              [Walkie-Talkies either for than matter.]

- Know why?
                              .. It's not physically possible for that little bitty x-mitter to put out enough energy to get anything hot or make a spark.

- But damned it! - We have a law just in case!

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I understand.

I need a 10uF cap and 4 22uF caps.

They are all rated for 25V currently, though my multimeter shows that <5V are running through them at any given time. But I suppose, what's the difference...

So for replacements. For the 10uF, I'm looking at a 50V Nichicon PM and for the 22uFs, I'm looking at some 50V Panasonic FRs.

Are Nichicon PMs any good for motherboard/PCI card use?

The name of the capacitor company on the card is TWBOR. Not sure if you've heard of them. http://www.twbor.com/Enproduct.asp

In regards to ESR, the bigger the capacitor, the less the ESR?
                                Last edited by TheLaw; 01-15-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                                  Are Nichicon PMs any good for motherboard/PCI card use?
                                  Nichicon PM are low ESR, but not very low ESR. In other words, they're on the high ESR end of the low ESR range. They may be usable for specific applications, but I wouldn't say they're the best choice in general for motherboard use. See the next point below...

The name of the capacitor company on the card is TWBOR. Not sure if you've heard of them. http://www.twbor.com/Enproduct.asp
                                  What series is the existing capacitor? With that info, we can look up the specs of the original capacitor to see if your proposed replacement is good enough. You want the same or lower ESR, the same or more ripple. I usually try to keep it with reason...going from a general purpose cap to a low ESR cap with many many times the ripple handling ability and a fraction of the original ESR may cause issues in certain circuits. Generally, I assume the existing capacitors are good enough as far as ratings go. I try to find a replacement with better real-world reliability, which is different than the lifetime spec.

In regards to ESR, the bigger the capacitor, the less the ESR?
                                  I'm assuming you mean bigger as in larger physical size, as opposed to a larger capacitance rating. Within the same series (and more strictly the same voltage rating, but we'll ignore that for now), this is true. Taking Nichicon PM, since you mentioned that earlier... a large Nichicon PM will have less ESR and more ripple handling ability than a small Nichicon PM.

Comparing size to ESR relations across different series does not work. A large Nichicon PM may have more ESR than a smaller Rubycon MCZ or other ultra low ESR capacitor. (Disclaimer: I did not actually compare the specs, it's just a hypothetical example.)
                                  Last edited by yyonline; 01-15-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                                    Nichicon PM are low ESR, but not very low ESR. In other words, they're on the high ESR end of the low ESR range. They may be usable for specific applications, but I wouldn't say they're the best choice in general for motherboard use. See the next point below...

What series is the existing capacitor? With that info, we can look up the specs of the original capacitor to see if your proposed replacement is good enough. You want the same or lower ESR, the same or more ripple. I usually try to keep it with reason...going from a general purpose cap to a low ESR cap with many many times the ripple handling ability and a fraction of the original ESR may cause issues in certain circuits. Generally, I assume the existing capacitors are good enough as far as ratings go. I try to find a replacement with better real-world reliability, which is different than the lifetime spec.

I'm assuming you mean bigger as in larger physical size, as opposed to a larger capacitance rating. Within the same series (and more strictly the same voltage rating, but we'll ignore that for now), this is true. Taking Nichicon PM, since you mentioned that earlier... a large Nichicon PM will have less ESR and more ripple handling ability than a small Nichicon PM.

Comparing size to ESR relations across different series does not work. A large Nichicon PM may have more ESR than a smaller Rubycon MCZ or other ultra low ESR capacitor. (Disclaimer: I did not actually compare the specs, it's just a hypothetical example.)

Thanks for the response.

There are no markings on the TWBOR capacitors other than capacitance, voltage, and 105C. They are black and grey...Sorry.

Alright, I'll try to see if I can find some capacitor other than the PMs. I can't find any 10uF Panny FRs but I did find a 10uF Panny FC. How about one of thise?

And thanks for clearing up the general theory of ESR/physical size. And yes, I meant physical size.

Comment

Alright, I'll try to see if I can find some capacitor other than the PMs. I can't find any 10uF Panny FRs but I did find a 10uF Panny FC. How about one of thise?
                                      FC is slightly better than Nichicon PM, but not much. It might be a perfectly good replacement, but without knowing what the originals were, I can't say for sure. FR would likely be an excellent replacement, as it has excellent specs. If you can't find them...what is your location? We may be able to suggest somewhere you can purchase appropriate replacements online.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
                                        FC is slightly better than Nichicon PM, but not much. It might be a perfectly good replacement, but without knowing what the originals were, I can't say for sure. FR would likely be an excellent replacement, as it has excellent specs. If you can't find them...what is your location? We may be able to suggest somewhere you can purchase appropriate replacements online.
                                        New Jersey, USA.

Maybe I'll try to see if I can find some Rubys or continue my search on Mouser. I'm no pro with capacitors yet, though I do have a bit of an understanding.

Comment

Working...
                                        X