Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC'ing a motherboard from 1998(sarcastic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OC'ing a motherboard from 1998(sarcastic)

Hi all. I'm OC'ing a motherboard from '98, and I want to show you how it's done. It's going to be awesome, and photos/instructions are coming later.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: OC'ing a motherboard from 1998(sarcastic)

1998 huh.... Let me guess DIP-switches to set the frequency?

Comment

I remember swapping crystal oscillators once to overclock... this was circa 1994, however.

Comment

Nothing for a month, is it time to bring out the violins for the brave old Pentium III who wanted to run at two jiggahertz?

Comment

Why not a K6-III+ at just 1 jiggahertz?

Comment

Or a Pentium III at 1.2GHz?
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

I overclocked my P3 so much it says %&2 MHz.

True story.

--

Actually it's not really overclocked much. Nor do I don't recall what characters it printed there, but the multiplier and FSB speed combo isn't in the table of supported frequencies so it went past bounds and printed garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                Or a Pentium III at 1.2GHz?
                A pentium3 won't be 1998 era, thats more 2001-ish.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Oh the old times... I remember my first PC ever with AMD K6-2 333 Mhz ( ? x 66 mhz) and overclocking it to 350 Mhz by going with 100 mhz bus and 3.5x multiplier.

The board was also one of the best in my country at the time, a PC Chips Elipina m577 : http://www.amoretro.de/2011/11/pc-ch...on_pm9900.html

Good times...

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                    Oh the old times... I remember my first PC ever with AMD K6-2 333 Mhz ( ? x 66 mhz) and overclocking it to 350 Mhz by going with 100 mhz bus and 3.5x multiplier.

The board was also one of the best in my country at the time, a PC Chips Elipina m577 : http://www.amoretro.de/2011/11/pc-ch...on_pm9900.html

Good times...
                    I had the same CPU in my first PC, I don't remember the motherboard, but i do remember paying £200 for a 2x CD burner for it.

Comment

O.o

Today, you can get a Blu-Ray burner for about $100!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

A year or so after my parents bought that system with k6-2 cpu (which had a 24x cd-rom) , i was given an older 486 for free which came with a Mitsumi 1x cd-rom on SCSI with the ISA based SCSI card from Adaptec.

That was cool stuff, you pushed on a button on the drive's case (similar to the ones on ball point pens) and a cartridge would come out, then you lift the top cover and put the cd in, close the cover and push the cartridge back in.

Yeah , it was pretty much this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUBeHWVHh9U

The guy that owned the company my parents bought the computer from had a 2x external HP CD writer, which was transferring data to the drive using the parallel port.
                        Slow as hell (took something like 40-50 minutes to burn a CD), but quite something for that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          A pentium3 won't be 1998 era, thats more 2001-ish.
                          And anyone that encounters a pre-2000s Pentium III is encountering a "Katmai". "Katmai" was the first generation Pentium III that's pretty much a Pentium II with SSE! They aren't socket 370 at all!
                          They are cartridges! (slot 1) "Katmai" came out in 1999, IIRC...
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 08-18-2016, 07:54 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have a 1.2 GHz Celeron from 2001, it's the same HP Pavilion 500a with the dead Bestec PSU that I posted on here a long time ago - sat for nearly a decade, wouldn't work when I took it out of the wardrobe. Found a ton of bloated JPCE-TUR caps that weren't like that when I put it up there. I had a spare SFF PSU for it so it's working again, but it's back in storage since it's all but useless today, and the Intel 810 chipset (82810E) and PCI slots only means it doesn't have a hope of being used for even retro gaming (24-bit on the desktop/GDI and 16-bit in D3D/OGL - no drivers in the world will give this one 32-bit graphics).

The other P3s and P3-based Celerons are mostly all Slot 1 though (I have a few other Socket 370s, but nothing to write home about, and most of them also have bad PSUs, all being from that era when caps had the lifespan of a fly).

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                              I overclocked my P3 so much it says %&2 MHz.

True story.

--

Actually it's not really overclocked much. Nor do I don't recall what characters it printed there, but the multiplier and FSB speed combo isn't in the table of supported frequencies so it went past bounds and printed garbage.
                              That what usually happened when a Board Bios was older than a newer design CPU . If the manufacturer is keen on customers welfare , an update would solve the problem , but most just didn't care .

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                and PCI slots only means it doesn't have a hope of being used for even retro gaming (24-bit on the desktop/GDI and 16-bit in D3D/OGL - no drivers in the world will give this one 32-bit graphics).
                                The GeForce 4 MX and GeForce FX 5200 were also available in PCI. Just sayin'.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  The GeForce 4 MX and GeForce FX 5200 were also available in PCI. Just sayin'.
                                  Add to that the Pci Nvidia GF 6200 LX..

Comment

All of those are (or were) worth more than the PC and PCs two generations newer.

PCI video cards were generally always more expensive than their AGP equivalents for some reason. The Intel 815 chipset added support for AGP video cards - on mine, the BIOS already supported AGP, but the 810 chipset didn't and the board didn't even have solder pads for an AGP slot, it had chips and other surface-mounted stuff in that area - I've seen other non-HP 810 boards that actually put the ATX connector there!

Comment

talk about proprietary designs

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                        PCI video cards were generally always more expensive than their AGP equivalents for some reason
                                        It was an incentive to upgrade mostly. They had to have a bridge chip, but that alone doesn't justify the cost.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                        X