Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DD-WRT software help.

Originally posted by goontron View Post
    i think he is seeing something like this.
    Thanks goontron; exactly that, i was trying to do a screenshot of the desktop in winxp but can't do it, i was able to do it once before but now can't do it, in Linux is so easy.

Comment

Hi guys: i have Good news: I was able to figure out this DD-WRT configuration on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54,and Updated the Firmware from build 13521 to build 21286, and i've set up a Secure WPA2 and you know what All my wireless machines work great and have a very good Wireless signal,i almost screwed everything if i went with Tomato that has no secure we-pa,besides i probably would brick the router.so i'm very stubborn never give up that's lots of work but that pays off.
      thanks you all that tried to help.
      Last edited by ivtec; 01-26-2015, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Stick with DD-WRT.

I just tried to flash Tomato, it won't work. It will give you a message "Incorrect Image File".
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Glad you got there in the end, from your screen shots it was clear you were almost there even if your terminology was a little off.
          If your devices support it, just use AES and not TKIP for your WPA2 encryption.

Comment

Was searching high and low, all I had to do was change the .trx to a .bin extension for it to flash in DD-WRT.

I would say DD-WRT is better for the router I was using, (Linksys WRT54GS v1.0), but Tomato is better for the Buffalo. If DD-WRT doesn't work out for you, you know what to do.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
              Hi guys: i have Good news: I was able to figure out this DD-WRT configuration on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54,and Updated the Firmware from build 13521 to build 21286, and i've set up a Secure WPA2 and you know what All my wireless machines work great and have a very good Wireless signal,i almost screwed everything if i went with Tomato that has no secure we-pa,besides i probably would brick the router.so i'm very stubborn never give up that's lots of work but that pays off.
              thanks you all that tried to help.
              Good news. I'm glad you got it working.

By the way, there are ways to unbrick a router from a bad flash by flashing via JTAG connections and a "wiggler" LPT cable.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                Good news. I'm glad you got it working.

By the way, there are ways to unbrick a router from a bad flash by flashing via JTAG connections and a "wiggler" LPT cable.
                Well,i bought this Buffalo WHR- router 5 years ago for 60 bucks at Amazon and Flashed DD-WRT firmware,but i could never make it work ,so i put it on my scrap, to tell you the truth i thought i had bricked it,and could never get it to Factory Buffalo Firmware,all this because of lack of understanding English and DD-WRT configurations of Firmware and software,besides i went with the Crappy Verizon DSL and Phone and with Verizon Routers never needed another wireless router,so by necessity i just started to reed and Google about the matter,and at this time i understand a little more about Computers and software and that helped a little bit as so the clues i've got from forums like badcaps forum.
                I've resorted last to Buffalo cause i tried to Use these Routers that i also had in my scrap, but could never do a secure Wep or WPA ,Toshiba WRC_1000, Net gear WNR2000,
                Belkin F6D4230-4 v1, these old routers only worked ok on my old machines open Secure protection,and i had to shutoff the routers when in use with wireless to avoid worse damage by someone using my Wireless,also these routers open secure only gave me 4gbits out of the 30gbits that i have,happy ending.

Comment

Hi guys; update on DD-wrt on my Sony Vaio Pentium M WinXP sp3,
                  the Wireless on DD-WRT is great,but i can't get the Wire LAN working! when i boot to Linux Mint 17.1 xfce it works great on both Wireless and Wire Lan,when i connect the wire cable, i can see the wire connectivity activation icon with good connect.i don't mind it just working on wireless, but as i'm geek perfectionist,i will not sleep till i have everything working 100% right.even if i have to re-install WinXp again.
                  Is there anything i can check, also when i restore to an early date it works,but i get all my browser set up all screwed,internet explorer 8 won't let me install Google chrome, so i have to revert to this restore point which is working great, thanks.
                  Last edited by ivtec; 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Press the windows key and r and in the run box type cmd. In that type ipconfig/all and post back what it says under ip address.
                    Is it a clean install of Windows XP ?
                    Last edited by diif; 02-01-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

fixed i.p. or iritating DHCP ?

Comment

This sort of thing is commonly caused by malicious software, which as we know Windows and IE out of the box are quite vulnerable to. If this is the case (and in my mind there's no doubt about that) the appropriate course of action is:
                        Remove computer from network.
                        Clean install of Windows (activate later)
                        Install good current version of anitvirus from an offline full installer
                        Install Chrome or Firefox from an offline installer
                        Get on network
                        Update antivus
                        Activate Windows
                        Update Windows
                        Do not run IE. Ever.
                        Last edited by SteveNielsen; 02-01-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

This sort of thing is commonly caused by malicious software, which as we know Windows and IE out of the box are quite vulnerable to. If this is the case (and in my mind there's no doubt about that) the appropriate course of action is:
                          Remove computer from network.
                          Clean install of Windows (activate later)
                          Install good current version of anitvirus from an offline full installer
                          Install Chrome or Firefox from an offline installer
                          Get on network
                          Update antivus
                          Activate Windows
                          Update Windows
                          Do not run IE. Ever.
                          Thanks; it's not virus or malware, i solved the issue by entering in, Internet Protocol TCP-IP-Properties , and ticked box,

Changed to; Obtain an IP address Automatically, Obtain DNS Server address Automatically.

What happened was when i tried to flash DD-WRT with TFTP, i went in TCP-IP and changed IP address to run TFTP, and did not change it back.
                          Last edited by ivtec; 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Ah, yeah that happens once in a while I'm glad you found and fixed it.

Comment

On the topic of DD-WRT firmware I have run into an issue using:

Router Model
                              Netgear WNR3500L v2
                              Firmware Version
                              DD-WRT v3.0-r27520M (07/17/15) kong
                              Kernel Version
                              Linux 3.10.84 #67 Fri Jul 17 08:06:51 CEST 2015 mips

What happens is after some hours of use, which seems to depend on how much wifi traffic there is over time, the login to the web page of the router itself fails to connect and requires a reboot of the router to fix. This appears to be a known issue on the DD-WRT forum but has not been resolved quite yet but Kong is aware of the issue and I think still looking into it.

As a temp work around I have cron reboot the router every 24 hours and that mostly works unless wireless traffic is heavy for a while and then the page not found error resumes at login.
                              Last edited by SteveNielsen; 12-02-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I also have a wnr3500l, I'm using ' DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-usb-ftp - build 14929 ' and have never seen the web page problem - I have been using it for 2-3 years so far without any complications.

Comment

On the topic of DD-WRT firmware I have run into an issue using:

Router Model
                                  Netgear WNR3500L v2
                                  Firmware Version
                                  DD-WRT v3.0-r27520M (07/17/15) kong
                                  Kernel Version
                                  Linux 3.10.84 #67 Fri Jul 17 08:06:51 CEST 2015 mips

What happens is after some hours of use, which seems to depend on how much wifi traffic there is over time, the login to the web page of the router itself fails to connect and requires a reboot of the router to fix. This appears to be a known issue on the DD-WRT forum but has not been resolved quite yet but Kong is aware of the issue and I think still looking into it.

As a temp work around I have cron reboot the router every 24 hours and that mostly works unless wireless traffic is heavy for a while and then the page not found error resumes at login.

I used to use that router with dd-wrt and from what i remember some of the builds had a problem with the usb driver. Some kind of memory leak wich would make it slower over time. Just turn the usb feature of if youre not using it and see how that works for you.

Comment

That's interesting. I haven't been using the USB at all and I'll look into that. Thanks.

USB is already disabled.
                                    Last edited by SteveNielsen; 12-03-2015, 05:07 AM.

Comment

maybe try this?
                                      http://www.gargoyle-router.com/index.php

Comment

It's not on the list of supported routers, v1 is but v2 is not and they are apparently different enough to need different builds. It's kind of a bummer because I bought this router specifically because it is supposed to be OpenWRT compatible. I may try Tomato or another type but I am used to DD-WRT and like it.

Comment

Thought - would enabling the log show anything relevant to this problem? I'm gonna try that and see just for the heck of it. I'm gonna look at some different open source OSes for this thing, I'm not totally against trying something new to me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X