New genuine ACER laptop battery VS No-name ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New genuine ACER laptop battery VS No-name ones

I own one not that old TravelMate 2410 laptop which I really love how well designed it is regarding staying cool, and be fast enough due HDD / CPU / Ram updates.

The problem is that I have not truly enjoyed a battery for it that it did not fall apart in 14 to 20 months ( eBay generic ones).
    Before five years the original ACER battery for it had a value of 140EUR = extremely expensive and therefore not an attractive option.

About two times I tried my luck with batteries from eBay, the first survived with good capacity for about 18 months and collapsed at 24 months.
    The second got up to 11 months with good capacity and collapsed after 13 months.

I am some how trained regarding Li-on batteries and I am aware that if the cells are not fresh their lifetime degrades by the year even by be unused.

Now days ACER probably waked up and become reasonable?
    The company offer replacement batteries by their logo at around 60$ ( 8x Cells) with one year warranty.

Some how I got convinced to spend the cash for a genuine battery, as I did find a seller in Germany which made the shipping cost relatively low.

What I need is feedback from other people who have buy branded ACER batteries and their experience over time.

There is no need to say that the battery comes in original ACER carton box with serial number.
    What makes me wonder is if ACER still uses Panasonic cells in them.

Re: New genuine ACER laptop battery VS No-name ones

The generic batteries suck. The original Acer battery should be better.

My dad bought a generic battery for his laptop a while back. When it was new, it lasted as long as the 6-year-old original Toshiba battery. After a few weeks, Windows gave the low battery warning almost immediately after booting. Also, the battery didn't fit properly, causing the computer to suddenly shut off. Unfortunately, the genuine batteries are expensive, as you mentioned. They usually get more expensive as the computer gets older.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post

About two times I tried my luck with batteries from eBay, the first survived with good capacity for about 18 months and collapsed at 24 months.
      The second got up to 11 months with good capacity and collapsed after 13 months.
      As if you got conned and received NiCad batteries instead.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Kirakos, don't you have anyone there in Greece that is reconditioning batteries professionally? I did that, as my dell battery was very expensive, and you can't get a generic one. It is not a rocket science. Pry the battery apart, recell, and the most tricky part: reset the controller (requires kind average cost adapter, expensive software, and moderate knowledge), therefore it is way to expensive if you want to make just a few for yourself. It may not work as long as a new one would, but it is still okay.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          As if you got conned and received NiCad batteries instead.
          I am opening up every battery pack that fails.
          No I did not see NiCad in them, but I did see copper cables which do not deserve the description of been a cable.

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
            Kirakos, don't you have anyone there in Greece that is reconditioning batteries professionally? I did that, as my dell battery was very expensive, and you can't get a generic one. It is not a rocket science. Pry the battery apart, recell, and the most tricky part: reset the controller (requires kind average cost adapter, expensive software, and moderate knowledge), therefore it is way to expensive if you want to make just a few for yourself. It may not work as long as a new one would, but it is still okay.
            I am familiar about the controller lock-up, I was close to rejuvenate the last battery pack by replacing faulty cables with out disconnecting the old and trigger the controller lock-up.
            But one of those poor quality cables cut in half before I manage to solder a better cable over the connection points.

No there is no one in Greece to reconditioning laptop batteries professionally.
            Possibly this happen all around Europe, because it is impossible to compete regarding pricing.

Unfortunately my ACER battery buying experience ended prematurely by an out of stock message from the seller.

40$ shipping from USA is not an option either.
            In a way I have stuck again.

Comment

Aaaaah, sucks when it happens.

Well it means there is a a possible business option in Greece. I had my batteries done in Lithuania, when was back there in summer.

Comment

That battery looks a lot like a dell laptop battery from a few years ago. Very similar. You might check into this to see if they are the same. Should be cheaper to get Dell since more of them are sold. I will try to dig up an old one and see what the stock number is on it.
                Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                  I am opening up every battery pack that fails.
                  No I did not see NiCad in them, but I did see copper cables which do not deserve the description of been a cable.
                  the tiny wires are just the balancing taps.no real current through those.
                  the real surprise i got a while back was 2 noname replacement packs i got free out of a recycling bucket.were marked bad from new.
                  these had 9 real panasonic 3400's in each but were missing the switch mosfets on the control board.18 brand new cells free!
                  2 very nice homemade led camping lights were built with the cells.
                  most noname packs have cheap cells that are soso new and nosedive after about 15 cycles.

Comment

I have 14 usable 18650 Li-ion, before three hours I got from ebay few PCB so to build also a rechargeable pack for a flash light and a battery booster ( additional battery for my motorcycle as assistance in cold weather).

1X http://www.ebay.com/itm/321186098541...84.m1497.l2649

2X http://www.ebay.com/itm/180674611172...84.m1497.l2649

5X http://www.ebay.com/itm/200964338091...84.m1497.l2649

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
                      That battery looks a lot like a dell laptop battery from a few years ago. Very similar. You might check into this to see if they are the same. Should be cheaper to get Dell since more of them are sold. I will try to dig up an old one and see what the stock number is on it.
                      Externally most of them look identical, the tricky part is the position of the power connector, and the most critical is the order of the pins ( wiring order) if something is not identical the motherboard will die.

And so this Dell battery suggestion is extremely risky.

Comment

Working...
                      X