Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel D850EMV2 Recap project

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
    Both their KZG and KZJ have issues but avoiding their other series due to that is foolish.
    Their KY series for instance is common in better PSUs and I've never even seen a bad one.
    Sorry, I meant for motherboard re-caps.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      Sorry, I meant for motherboard re-caps.
      Same-same with mobos.
      KY show up on mobos too.
      KZE are common on mobos including Intel Server boards and they were even used in Vcore in PC133 and older vintage boards.
      Chemicon for the small 4 & 5 mm is common in about anything.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

VR don't have an ESR rating they are GP caps. Go by the ripple.
        Use LXZ, FC, PW or similar.

I've posted pics of 2 or 3 Intel boards with VR that actually bloated in the forum here.
        It's been a problem on Intel boards from at least skt 370 thru 775.

Make a list of ~all~ that caps you want to replace.
        Look up and write their ESR & Ripple [& diameter] on the page.
        THEN go shopping.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          VR don't have an ESR rating they are GP caps. Go by the ripple.
          Use LXZ, FC, PW or similar.

I've posted pics of 2 or 3 Intel boards with VR that actually bloated in the forum here.
          It's been a problem on Intel boards from at least skt 370 thru 775.

Make a list of ~all~ that caps you want to replace.
          Look up and write their ESR & Ripple [& diameter] on the page.
          THEN go shopping.
          I've seen shopping around that some caps have an impedance value, others have an ESR value and many more don't have either. So, you usually go by a capacitor's ripple rating?

What I did at the onset of this little project was examine the board, count caps, and make a list. But after looking around at all the caps available, it dawned on me that I didn't measure the one on the board. There are a few caps that have identical voltage and farad ratings. But the ripple and esr (or impedance) were different based on the physical size of the cap. Truly an important consideration!

So, I did find the two PWs I need (25v 22uF and 25v 100uF), now I get to play the waiting game while GE does their "background check". Thankfully, I should be getting to work in the next two weeks. And all the other caps on the board I found right here. The other board I might try out those Samxon caps, we'll see.
          If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

It's covered in a number of threads but here's a quote from a PM I sent.
            ['cause I'm feeling too lazy to write it all out again tonight....]

>>>>>>>>>>

Yes there is a difference between Impedance and ESR but at 100kHz it doesn't matter.

Impedance = Z
            Equivalent Series Resistance = ESR
            Capacitive Reactance = Xc
            Equivalent Series Inductance = ESL

[Sorry I can't do a proper square root symbol here, the whole side right of the = should be under it's bar.]

Z = [square root of] (ESR)² + (ESL - Xc)²

At roughly 100kHz the ESL = Xc
            ESL and Xc cancel each other out so we end up with:
            Z = [square root of](ESR)²
            so by squaring both sides
            Z² = ESR²
            and thus
            Z = ESR

At other frequencies it would be different because Xc and ESL and ESR all change with frequency.
            That's the reason the data sheets use 100kHz as the standard for that spec.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

.... And why some data sheets say Impedance at 100kHz and others say ESR at 100kHz.

Watch out for caps spec'ed at some other frequency.
            Don't usually come across them when looking for low ESR mobo caps but you can.
            There is usually a conversion factor in their data sheet to get to what they would be at 100kHz.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-23-2011, 11:45 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Just an update. Received the caps for the board (minus the (3) 16v2200uF LXZs and 10v 1500uF KZE). Put in the bigger caps and working on the (12) 25v100uF and (17) 25v22uF caps. Looks like this board will be up before my main computer with failed PSU. I should hopefully be done later today, if not tomorrow. Pictures to follow>
              If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Well, the recapping went well though I didn't replace the (2) 10v 470uF VR (forgot to order?), (3) 16v 2200uF LXZ, and the 3 KZEs on the main power circuit. I doubt they will go bad any time soon, but I will likely replace them before putting it back into full service. I pushed this to semi-completion early due to my next "project" Hipro PSU off my main PC. Thanks to you all for your help, I couldn't have done it without ya!
                Attached Files

Comment

Congrats. [Fun ain't it!]
                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 07-12-2011, 03:59 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

I think I might be an addict!

Next priority is getting the Hipro PSU going. After that, I'm planning on doing the second D850 board. At that point I'll probably replace those other caps on this board (C18361). After I source some PC1066-32P RDRAM modules and that 3Ware 9500 card/some more HDDs, this board will be ready to serve as my new domain controller. It's funny though; after so much time on a machine with 3gb of RAM, one forgets how much of a hit you take with paging operations on a board with only 512mb! But, a 3.06gHz P4 is still viable and I think with the upgraded RAM @533mHz FSB, it'll be a touch faster still.

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Technophile View Post
                      I think I might be an addict!

Next priority is getting the Hipro PSU going.
                      I like Hipro. Good luck.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                      X