X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GA-P67A-UD4-B3 No Boot

Hi All,

This is the second MB I have to repair.

Given to me for free. I have no history on it.

It came with an i5 processor and 8Gb RAM. It doesn't boot. The CPU fan LED is inconsistent in its operation.

All 6 Stage LED's light up.

I examined the CPU socket and there were some bent pins, which I managed to bend CAREFULLY back. I found one had snapped already, but this appears to be a VCC pin, so shouldn't affect operation (so I am advised).

Pictures attached.

I haven't checked VCore, VRAM or 3.3V rails yet. All capacitors are high reliability types (not the usual electrolytic types), so fingers crossed!

I did find DQ34 transistor had some physical damage, but it seems to check out with my tester (it gives the same readings as other identical transistors on the board)

I haven't got a PCI Port80 tester - yet

Any thoughts on the socket pins anyone?
    Attached Files

Re: GA-P67A-UD4-B3 No Boot

You are correct about a broken Vcore pin, it should't cause a problem. Are you 100% sure that pin is Vcore? Measures resistance from the broken pin to the VRM coils?

I would be tempted to change that broken transistor - or at the very least unsolder it and test it out of circiut

I've seen a lot worse LGA sockets than that, which were still working. So the board powers up when you press the ATX power switch, but does not boot? if you then hold in the power button does it shut down? Yepp?

Which processor are you using? Is it supported by your BIOS revision?
    Do you have any RAM fitted?
    Did the CPU and RAM originally work with this motherboard before it failed?
    When you power it up, does the CPU get warm?
    Is there an onboard speaker, or can you plug a speaker in, and do you here any bleeps (with/without ram fitted)

Rich
    Last edited by dicky96; 02-18-2021, 05:06 AM.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

HI Rich,

I will answer where I can.

Please see answers below:

Are you 100% sure that pin is Vcore? Pretty Sure from the CPU layout diagram I studied.

Measures resistance from the broken pin to the VRM coils? Not Checked as cannot I get on to the broken pin to check continuity.

So the board powers up when you press the ATX power switch, but does not boot? Correct - it will power up, but, it will switch off after about 15 seconds, and repeat permanently - all without further button presses.

If you then hold in the power button does it shut down? Yes - if Power Button is held for 4 seconds.

Which processor are you using? Intel Core i5-3450 3‎.10GHz 6‎MB 7‎20 MHz Ivy Bridge 2‎2nm

Is it supported by your BIOS revision? Supported from BIOS F8 - but I cannot tell if the BIOS is Rev F8 (stock is F4) as I cannot boot - I don't have another compatible CPU to try - yet.

Do you have any RAM fitted? Tried with and without RAM and different RAM brands/sizes too - same result

Did the CPU and RAM originally work with this motherboard before it failed? I cannot find this out at this time.

When you power it up, does the CPU get warm? With a a big cooler and it not staying on for long, it is tough to give an accurate answer.

Is there an onboard speaker, or can you plug a speaker in, and do you here any bleeps (with/without ram fitted)? I plugged in a speaker, but no sounds under any conditions.

The CPU fan I am using has an LED inside the fan (its the only LGA1155 Cooler I have). The fan comes on, but the LED only comes on briefly at switch on - I tried the same fan on another LGS1155 MB, and the LED stays on permanently (as expected).

Regards

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ17 View Post
        HI Rich,

So the board powers up when you press the ATX power switch, but does not boot? Correct - it will power up, but, it will switch off after about 15 seconds, and repeat permanently - all without further button presses.

Regards

Russ
        Hmm OK in my not totally vast experience - this type of problem is often a fault with the SIO or more likely the Northbridge (PCH or whatever they like to call it these days) or it could be related to that broken pin in the LGA socket.

As you can't easily get to the pins around the NB, I would suggest have a look at the pins of the SIO that are related to the sleep states (S3, S5 that sort of signal) and see if it is turning Vcore and the ATX PSU on and off

The board view file should help here - do you know how to use that? if not I can guide you and promise it will be a revelation! It's worth experiencing board view even if you don't fix this one. It will also tell you if that broken CPU pin really is Vcc

I know some folks will say no, no, no, or shoot me down here.... but with that CPU type I would remove the CPU heatsink, put one finger on top of the CPU right in the middle, put another hand on the mains on/off switch to the ATX PSU ,and put a third hand (lol) on the ATX PS_ON switch, turn it on and see what happens. If the finger on the CPU gets real hot real quick, switch the mains power off fast with hand number two. If it don't the CPU ain't running
        Maybe one of the other guys here can advise or correct me, I'm still learning too, I'm just a little way ahead of you as I started earlier lol
        Last edited by dicky96; 02-19-2021, 04:51 PM.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

As far as I know a 6-series chipset board will not boot with an Ivy Bridge CPU if it didn't receive the BIOS update for Ivy Bridge. I'd use a Sandy Bridge CPU or flash the BIOS externally at the very least. And in any case flashing the BIOS can be a good idea at this point if it's confirmed not to be a RAM or CPU issue.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
            As far as I know a 6-series chipset board will not boot with an Ivy Bridge CPU if it didn't receive the BIOS update for Ivy Bridge. I'd use a Sandy Bridge CPU or flash the BIOS externally at the very least. And in any case flashing the BIOS can be a good idea at this point if it's confirmed not to be a RAM or CPU issue.
            Dear Piernov,

You make a good point.

I think the most sensible approach is to buy an i3-2120 CPU, and see if that works, as this is supported from the first release in the Gigabyte MB, and I can also use it in a HP IPISB-CH2 "Chicago" motherboard I have, which also won't boot, but I think this is because I only have the i5 3450 CPU, which is not supported.

I contacted the person who gave me the Gigabyte MB, and he said that it was working to the best of his recollection.

Will report back once I have tried the i3 2120 CPU in both MB's.

If the Gigabyte will boot with the i3 2120, I will then update the BIOS to F8 version, which will add support for the i5 3450 CPU.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Working...
            X