• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have experience with this ic chip silicon touch PS223

Here is the data sheet for this chip

This ic chip is on a little daughter board with pins to the main board

This is in a SPI 350PFB with a FSPXXX-6XPFB main board

This is one of the ones that I have and want to know if the voltage output rails can be modified and if so is there any post that someone has done with this exact daughter board if so can you please post it for me

Thanks

This is the little daughter board that this ic chip is on and how it mount to the main board

If you need pictures of the main board let me know and I will post them
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-08-2021, 01:10 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Does anyone have experience with this ic chip silicon touch PS223

there are sold on small boards on aliexpress, a friend had some.

Comment

I think there's confusion with the TPS223 touch sensor IC, and this PS223 power monitoring IC.
      The PS223 monitors 4 voltages for being hi/lo and 4 currents, for 12Va, 12Vb, 5V, 3.3V rails.
      It has the voltage dropping resistors built-in, so you could only increase the thresholds adding a resistor, for that rail.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        It has the voltage dropping resistors built-in, so you could only increase the thresholds adding a resistor, for that rail.
        I was referring power monitoring ic chip

Would adding some resistance in front of these pins would up the voltage to about 14.5 volts because the data sheet says on page 5 the maximum voltage is 14.5 volts I would keep just under this voltage it does have an adjustment pot but for some reason the voltage on all rails are not proportional to each other rail another word let’s say that the 12 volt rail goes 0.500 volt above 12.00 volts the 5 volt rail only goes up 0.200 of a volt and the 3 volt rail might go up 0.100 volt higher and for the most part the -12 volt rail would jumping around -0.100 to +0.100 volts or so and sometimes even more of a swing than that

The -12 volt is my main concern because it not stable for some reason which I have not figured out why this happens when you adjust the voltage on the 12 volt rail up 1/2 volt it affects all three power rails but only the -12 volt rail seem to have the issue about staying stable but this might be from the fact that I did not load the the five volt rail I will have retry the test again but this time load the five volt rail and possibly the -12 volt rail as well and see if this makes a difference or not
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-08-2021, 04:20 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

The PS223 +12V rail monitor has stock 13.78V over-voltage and 9.05V under-voltage trip points. Max. spec is 14.5V it depends on how accurate the IC is, it's +/-5%.
          Adding a series resistor to VS12A (pin 12) or VS12B (pin 8) to move up the trip points for that particular rail (my math):
          14.5V OV, 9.5V UV with 10.4k ohms.
          14.6V OV, 9.6V UV with 12k ohms.
          14.8V OV, 9.7V UV with 15k ohms.

If you are making a battery charger, it might undervoltage trip into a dead battery?
          I thought you could put a 12V and 5V winding in series to get more voltage, I'm not sure you can go from 12V to 14V with much current. Most 12V SMPS do not crank up to 14V at full output current.

The adjustment pots look like they're for the fan control? I would need bits and pieces of a schematic to see what the pots are about.
          Usually the PSU regulation is a hodgepodge summary of the high current rails. So an IC looks at +12V, +5V , +3.3V rails and regulates based on those. The -12V rail is low current, not so important I thought. Might search for the PSU schematic or something similar to see how that's done.
          Last edited by redwire; 02-08-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
            The PS223 +12V rail monitor has stock 13.78V over-voltage and 9.05V under-voltage trip points. Max. spec is 14.5V it depends on how accurate the IC is, it's +/-5%.
            Adding a series resistor to VS12A (pin 12) or VS12B (pin 8) to move up the trip points for that particular rail (my math):
            14.5V OV, 9.5V UV with 10.4k ohms.
            14.6V OV, 9.6V UV with 12k ohms.
            14.8V OV, 9.7V UV with 15k ohms.

If you are making a battery charger, it might undervoltage trip into a dead battery?
            I thought you could put a 12V and 5V winding in series to get more voltage, I'm not sure you can go from 12V to 14V with much current. Most 12V SMPS do not crank up to 14V at full output current.

The adjustment pots look like they're for the fan control? I would need bits and pieces of a schematic to see what the pots are about.
            Usually the PSU regulation is a hodgepodge summary of the high current rails. So an IC looks at +12V, +5V , +3.3V rails and regulates based on those. The -12V rail is low current, not so important I thought. Might search for the PSU schematic or something similar to see how that's done.

I have not been able to find a schematic for this model number but what I am going to try to do is reverse engineering circuit diagram on this ic chip and it's supporting components to the main board and post circuit diagram
            when I am finished with it might be a few weeks before I might get this done
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

To change the output voltage, it's two things to mod. The Supervisor trip points for OVP/UVP, and the voltage regulation loop.

I think the hardest part is the regulation loop, if it uses a TL431 or just mixing resistors to the SMPS IC for sampling the main three rails.

elecktrotanya has some FSP schematics.

Comment

Working...
              X