This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello All: I found this Forum by accident. I was looking for some dianogistic help in figuring out what is wrong with my Vizio 48 inch. Meanwhile I found my solution. As I was reading some posting here I realize that I may have found the Forum that could help me get my 286 running again. Before I get to it I'll give some back ground of me.

I began my computing journey in 1973 when Computer Science 101 was a required course. It fasinated me for I was able to apply my math knowledge. I think the programming language was Algol. I realized I wanted a computing career so I enrolled in a Technical programming school. Got my 1st job as a mainframe operator, then got a programming job, and continued my programming career with the Boeing Company. Enough of that boring stuff and more into my personal computing interest. I have kept all my personal computing hardware. I'll start with my Concise Circular Slide Rule, Then my Post Slide Ruler, Then HP-35 Calculator, Then a Radio Shack Color 4K Computer know as the CoCo. On the CoCo I wrote a custom income reporting system that kept Monthly, Quartley, and Yearly total for an individual logging company. It used the cassette to store data. Let see I have my Radio Shack Model 3 with duel 5 1/4 flopppies 360 K. Them I got the Gateway DX2 66 MegHertz, a screeming machine at that time. Then I got the Millienum OS PC then the Vista OS PC. Yes I kept it all and they all still work except the DX2 66 I keep getting a boot up error. I'm hoping that maybe someone on in this group could help me resolve it. I'll get it out and copy the error message and post it here. I also have a calculator before the slide ruler. Omega Pocket Adding Machine, I'll post a picture. I also have my family's Abacus but I'n not really good at it. It has 5 disc on the bottom not the standard 4. I can find instruction how to use the 4 but not the 5. Beside that I'm into Restoring a 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300, 1976 Chev Luv (Origional Owner) 1976 AMC Pacer ( Mother owner owner) 1969 Kawasaki 90 G3TR (Origional Owner), 1974 Yamaha YZ125 (Origional Owner). As you can see I like to keep what I purchase. Well as soon as I find my DX2 66 I'll post my error message.

Comment

Oops forgot to post my Omega and Abacus. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey everyone. I'm about to experiment with soldering today! I consider myself generally tech saavy when it comes to electronics. I've built several PCs, but soldering individual components is a whole new level. Even understanding circuitry and what each component does is a whole new level I can't imagine I'll ever get to. I never really had a need to solder until my 22" LCD died and googled for ways to fix it. What got me excited was reading about the capacitor plague and finally bumping into this forum. It seemed easy enough and I always wanted to learn to solder, so I couldn't pass the opportunity up. I know there's no guarantee replacing the caps will fix my LCD, but I figure the price of parts is worth the gamble. I also rushed to buy another LCD at a goodwill, but it turned out to be broken. Pictures dies in 2 seconds So now I got a second one to work with but... from what I read for that model, seems way too complicated. I opened it up as well, but no bulging caps, and I probably won't do a whole recap on it since the problem might be elsewhere. At least my old monitor clearly had 2 bad caps so I'm feeling good about resurrecting one of them. Still though, I'm totally new, watched a few youtube videos to bring my confidence up, but things can go wrong. Wish me luck. I bought a cheap soldering iron from Radioshack. It's 30W. Hoping it does the job. Broke out an old board from an old CRT to practice on. If I can work with the leads from old capacitors, I might cannibalize parts. I know it's not recommended but digikey was pretty intimidating, so I'll probably end up procrastinating ordering from there, and it might turn out I suck at this and fry my boards, so rather not invest more money than needed :P

Comment

Hello everyone I too am a tinkering junkie. So forum just be enough to put me over the edge of sanity.

Ant

Comment

Hello,
            I am new to this board today - 5/26/2013.
            I am a main frame bigot - supporting the very large machines - I have been in the business for 40 years - mostly in infrastructure support for the large data centers.
            I tinker with things in my spare time - chasing what appear to be bad power supplies in a series of Viewsonic monitors.

Comment

Hello everyone!
              I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself...

My name is Roberto aka "Robert" and I am a former Live/Studio Sound Engineer and electronics technician. I have had the privilege and blessing of having worked with some of the most top notch people in (both the sound/music and electronics) industry. I made my living mixing sound and fixing electroinc equipment to include pro audio and music gear as well as tv's, vcr's and most other consumer electronics goods aka brown goods.

I've also had the privilege of owning/operating my own business' in both industries and am now semi-retired from it all and working for Cirque Du Soleil as a power and electronics technician.

I joined this forum because someone gave my son an LCD tv that was not powering up and I needed help getting it fixed. That being said, I want to take a moment to thank each and everyone of you that have shared your knowledge and wisdom with others like myself.

Take care and thank you again for all your help.

"Great minds talk about ideas
              Average minds talk about things
              Small minds talk about other people"
              Silent Scorn

Comment

Well, I finally busted out the soldering iron. I bet most of you could have salvaged and replaced 2 caps in 5 minutes. It took me probably close to an hour because I was nervous and my my soldering iron was a cheap 30W and halfway, and I had a lot of problems getting the old solder to flow. Took me a while to remember you should put some new solder on top of the old one. Well good news. I got my old monitor to work. I know I used crappy capacitors. Not only were they from a CRT older than 10 years, but they were Elite brand at 85*. The old ones were 105*. Not sure if this means if these caps will blow very soon or if it's dangerous. I'm just glad my first attempt resulted in something.

Comment

Hi everyone!
                  My first day in these forums, but not my first day in electronics!
                  I have been studying electronics for about 5 years, and i already know a lot, but i also know that i am still only scraping the surface...
                  I love bringing old machines back to life, as i did with a ~40 year old Decca-Sound amplifier.

PS. i may be a newbie, but i do know how to tell the good caps from the bad caps

Comment

Hi
                    My name is Peter - I'm new to the forum. Looking forward to the knowledge and experience everyone brings. I'm trying to fix my Mom's 43" Samsung Plasma TV and knew that this problem wasn't likely novel - so found this forum and was grateful. I think I've already found the tread I needed to fix it! Anyhow, thanks to everyone in advance for having me.

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hello everyone. Stumbled upon here looking for TV repair info, and it looks like this place is actually full of real, useful information. I have some component level repair knowledge, as well as reflowing / reballing equipment which I currently use for game console repair - but I'd really like to learn how to identify faulty parts the right way.

Comment

Hi all, I finally got in. Let me start by saying thanks for allowing me to join your forum, I am not much on these as this is the only one I belong to. My name is Stan and I live in North Carolina near the Outer Banks. I work in Virginia which is about 40 mile commute everyday where I work for a contractor. I like fixing Tv's and old Tuners, mainly Pioneers from the 70's. I found some interesting things here and hope to get good advise as I am only an amature when it comes to repairing electronics. I do however know how to use the basic test equipment meters and so what. Well I hope to get to know alot of members here and share some idea's. I am currently working on a couple of TV's, one is my mom's and one was given to me from a guy who said it was struck by lightening. I can't wait to read some of the threads as they look interesting. Once again thanks for allowing me to join this Forum.

Stan

Comment

Let me introduce myself, and hopefully not get banned in the process. I used to work on TVs, but quit when they went solid state and went to work on Stereo equipment. Yes. a LONG time ago. Recently, I had do repairs on my 35" Sony CRT monitor and got to relive all the things I HATED about TVs. More recently, I have been working on DLP TVs and now I am STUCK on a Mitsubishi WD-62531. As soon as I can formulate some coherent questions, minus profanities, I will try to get some answers. PS I know the Mitsu is NOT a DLP... but I really am stuck...
                            Last edited by opsuper3; 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

My name is Many, I'm Cuban and I'm Electronic Engineer graduated in Russia in 1980. More than 30 years experience in many electronic fields like radio, tv, radars, computers, etc, etc...this place seems to be very familiar to me and I want to say Thanks!!...thanks a lot!!...

Comment

A little bit about myself. Im a recently divorced father of one with a knack for repairing anything with nuts and bolts. For TOPCAT, Im a mechanic by trade, Im the guy who gets the car calls. Thought I'd try my hand at repairing some other things as well. I have found this website to contain a wealth of knowledge without having to sift through meaningless posts.

Comment

Hi I am new here, I have a knack for breaking down components as a hobby looking to get into rescuing tv s, help out some folks and learn about some tips for it thanks

Comment

Hi guys

Comment

Hello everyone and thanks for the welcome

Comment

well i know a lil bit about computers,have put a few together but i guess you could call me a novice.

Comment

Well folks i hate to come in and leave suddenly. but dinner is a callin see youins soon

Comment

Working...
                                          X