Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GE70 - MS-17561 - short

Hello guys

During this crazy period, Im taking a look at some old stuff I have here lying around
    This MSI GE70 turns on , but no image.
    No cpu or gpu vcore. Cant find schematics. Already flashed bios with a clean dump, same thing.
    I finally got somewhere, I have 0 ohm resistance in Pchoke5 coil.

Removed it, but when I inject current (1V, 1.5 A) cant find anything getting hot.
    Not sure what is the voltage at this coil, so im a bit afraid to go up and blow it for good

Does anyone know or have a mobo like this one that could help me know more about this coil or voltage here?

A pic with the wire on the side of the short, and the coil removed on the side.

If not, ill just close the case, RIP.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by magneh; 03-23-2020, 01:09 PM.

Re: MSI GE70 - MS-17561 - short

Well Ive been again investing some time on this one, and even with 4A I cant find anything hot...which is amazing.

Also I noticed a bubble on the chip7.

What would you do with it?

RIP right ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Has it been reflowed?
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I think the pch chip is dead

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          Has it been reflowed?
          Hi Piernov!

If it was, not by me
          But I would say no, does not seem like.

Could the PCH chip be causing the short?
          Still should be getting hot with 4A right?

Oh well...anyways chip is not good for sure with that popcorn bubble...

Comment

Popcorn at that spot should not happen randomly but rather by applying an excessive amount of heat (like when trying to reflow). Also the underfill around the die looks darkened.
            If someone tried to reflow it improperly, for sure it destroyed the balls under it and could be causing a full short to ground directly on the balls.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
              Popcorn at that spot should not happen randomly but rather by applying an excessive amount of heat (like when trying to reflow). Also the underfill around the die looks darkened.
              If someone tried to reflow it improperly, for sure it destroyed the balls under it and could be causing a full short to ground directly on the balls.
              Yeah someone could have done some crap with the PCH before I got this laptop...shame...

I have 1 logicboard probably repaired (found 1 capacitor in short) that could be compatible with this machine, but needs another CPU.

Anyways this one will stay as a donor, as I dont replace BGA chips.

Merci Piernov

Comment

From my experience - when you have short with 0 and no heat - balls or underlayers are the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sicilianul View Post
                  From my experience - when you have short with 0 and no heat - balls or underlayers are the problem.
                  Yes Sicilianul, makes totally sense.

I think its the case here.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X