What fast food does to electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What fast food does to electronics

As some of you may know, I work at a burger king. Today one of our credit card machines went down as the power supply sat in a puddle of water on the ground for an extended period of time and stopped working. We replaced it with a unused power supply from an unused credit card machine and everything worked fine. I took home this power supply to see if I could get it working again, and this is the horror I was confronted with when opening it:

Holy.

Butt.

Nuggets.

I sprayed down the PCB front and back with Simple Green and soaked the case in vinegar and wire wheeled the corrosion off of anywhere that had it, and it starts up now.
    Attached Files

Re: What fast food does to electronics

yuck! that looks disgusting
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

WTF! I'm showing this to my sis, brb.

Edit: She compared this to a simulation of what happens to your arteries.
      Last edited by Ami Sapphire; 08-27-2011, 07:26 PM.
      Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
      I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Most of it looks like mineral deposits from hard water or water with chemicals (cleaners) in it.
        If the casing is aluminum it might be aluminum oxide.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Yeah it's all just corrosion. The brown stuff is the aluminum corrosion mixing with the rust from that little bolt that holds a diode to one of the heatsinks. I just thought it was funny that this came out of a burger king. Kind of impossible for it to get grease in it, as it sits on the other side of a huge stainless steel wall that keeps the fryers out of view.

Comment

I'm always amazed at how far devices can be away from the kitchen and they still fill up with greasy dust. It's in the air.

Supersize me!
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Looks like sour cream and cheese! Eww!
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

One person at work used to service equipment for fast food places, and some french fry machine controllers had an internal setting to select one of ten different songs (he'd clean out the grease and reset all of them to "Yellow Rose of Texas"), and the power supply was double isolated, with one 60 Hz stepdown transformer feeding another 60 Hz stepdown transformer. He said McDonald's had their equipment sent to a Panasonic facility in Illinois that also fixed monitors. I had one of those refurbished monitors, and I hope Panasonic was more careful with the McDonald's equipment.
                Last edited by larrymoencurly; 09-11-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I would consider this unit a write-off.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                  X