Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble finding telephone patch panel.

Hi!

I'm looking and having trouble finding a patch panel for a PSTN telephone line. I tried using a regular cat 6 patch panel and just daisy chaining every port together, but that didn't work so well.

I've found patch panels that are made for ISDN, but I don't have an ISDN line and probably never will. Eventually, we'll switch to VoIP, but that's still a ways away.

Right now, I'm just looking for a patch panel where I can run in the incoming PSTN line to and have it distributed to all the ports (hopefully, at least 48 ports), and then run my cat 5e line from the wall plates to the various ports on the panel, punch them down, and have telephone working.

Does anything like that exist and if so, could someone please help me try to find it? Maybe my search queries been wrong. I've been searching for PSTN telephone patch panel. I was hoping for one that supported 4 lines, 8P8C

Thanks!
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 11-24-2018, 09:40 PM.
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Trouble finding telephone patch panel.

Oh man, I think my college neglected to go over 66 blocks and 110 blocks. I mean, we went over 110 blocks, but we were just taught that's what regular patch panels use. When I heard people talk about 110 blocks, I didn't realize they weren't talking about ethernet punch down patch panels.

We found a nice article that describes 110 blocks for telephones https://tombuildsstuff.blogspot.com/...telephone.html

and how to wire them up, with the C-Clips, etc. I've never seen anything like that before, but will be purchasing one. It's not what I was imaging but I was attempting the same thing (with the bridges) using my cat 6 patch panel. I just didn't have c-clips.

If I understand what I read, if I want 4 incoming lines, 48 telephone wall plates, I'd need a 400 pair 110 block, right? The first 8 rows would hold the lines going to the wall plates, the next 8 rows would all be bridges. Is that correct?

I wonder if there's a more efficient way to wire those blocks where I don't have to dedicate one row of bridges for every row of lines used. That will add up super quick like. 400 pair block is going to take a lot of room in the rack.

Comment

no way.

look up "REN", line-load etc.

you cant have more than 3-4 phones on a line without some type of powered booster.
      look at auctions for an old company PBX setup - terminal-handset, slave handsets and control-box.

Comment

What do you mean we cannot have more than 3-4 phones on a line without some type of powered booster? Only one phone will be active at a time, maybe two.

4 pairs of wire in CAT 5e, that should mean up to 4 lines per cable. Right? I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/47603-18b

Supports up to 4 incoming lines, has 18 RJ-45 jacks for the lines going to the wall plates. It has an IDC input. A couple of those daisy chained together would be good. But I wanted something that was made for a rack. Those are made for a media enclosure. I could always mount them to a rack shelf I guess.

Comment

I read up on REN. Just so I'm a bit more clear, most of these phone lines will NOT have a phone hooked to them. We're installing them in each room, on the walls, so IF we want a phone hooked up, we can add one anywhere. For example, there is currently 4 active telephones in our house, but only one is hooked to the wall jack. They're all wireless telephones. Their ringers are not powered by the actual telephone line.

Does that clear it up a bit?

Comment

it does - you should have said outlets instead of phones.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              it does - you should have said outlets instead of phones.
              That's my mistake. Haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately and started making some stupid mistakes. I try to stop working at 10:30pm now, no matter where I'm at and try to make sure I get a full night sleep.

It's a real pain running wires. The shielded ethernet is much stiffer than what I'm accustomed too. The Belden 2412F F/UTP is just a little too big to fit into these BlackBox C6EZSP plugs. I think we should have been sold the BlackBox C6EZSP-STAG-100PAK ends, which say they're made for larger OD cables.

We make the C6EZSP plugs work, but we have to spend a good amount of time getting the cable in far enough to prevent cross-talk. Real pain in the butt! I'm tempted to just scrap these C6EZSP's and just buy the C6EZSP-STAG's.

I really wanted to the Belden R301602 plugs, but they're just too much money. They look real nice though. I'm trying to get Belden to send us a sample to try them out.

Comment

Working...
              X