Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sparkle Power Supplies

Model FSP400-60GN
    1000uF 200V Teapo LXK - Both bulging at the top.

pics? i wanna see bulging 200v.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I thought Sparkle was supposed to have good Nichicons and Rubycons. At least an old 250w AT does....
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

i have seen inside many premium psus and all crap caps. if you find a current one with good caps then please tell me cos i will buy it. server psus are the exception though.

Comment

some large caps have a plastic disk shrinkwrapped to the top.
          often they bulge but the cap is ok

Comment

here's ya a bulging 200v willawakee
            Attached Files

Comment

ROFL.........i dont think that one is gonna make it.

Comment

Caps with 'VENT' on them. They've done so. :P
                The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

oh shit. look at the fan!!

i think the fan died, unit overheated the caps past the spec, blew the caps, and shut the SMPS oscillator stages down.

Comment

Originally posted by mbates14
                    oh shit. look at the fan!!

i think the fan died, unit overheated the caps past the spec, blew the caps, and shut the SMPS oscillator stages down.
                    If the fan had died, and then the unit overheated the caps to the point of failure, the fan *still* wouldn't be in such horrendous shape. That fan is melted beyond belief. I would be surprised if a re-cap and fan replacement were all that would be required to restore that power supply to working order.

Comment

ok, a fire would be more feasable.

Comment

Re: Sparkle Power Supplies

Originally posted by Fomhoire
                        Model FSP400-60GN
                        1000uF 200V Teapo LXK - Both bulging at the top.

Those aren't Teapo LXK. Looks like Fuhjyyus.
                        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Damn, that's impressive! Nothing else to say about it.

Comment

I have a new version of this PSU, and want to recap it before putting it into service.

The two AC filter caps C1, C2 are 200v/820uF Fuhjyyu and marked LXK. I can't find this cap in any of the Fuhjyyu literature, so I'm having a newbie issue cross referencing this cap to a premium substitute.

The series PSU looks pretty easy to recap for the noob. It has more open space than an Antec PP412 I have open on the bench right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatal0E
                              here's ya a bulging 200v willawakee
                              looks like the one i pulled at a customers shop.
                              it made a loud buzzing noise and spit flaming plastic out onto the desk and carpet.
                              lucky it happened with someone around who knew how to put out a fire.
                              we pulled all those cheapies and sledgehammered them.
                              after our little "meeting" with the kid who built these boxes i doubt he will spec such crap again!

Comment

I finally found a data sheet for LXK. They are Teapo, not Fuhjyyu caps, but not listed on the Teapo web site. I found a bunch of Teapo PDF on the www.cbs.it website.

Damn, it is hard to type Fuhjyyu... not intuitive at all.

Comment

105C capacitors should have been used...
                                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

There is no justification for replacing those caps. It is obvious the overheating state popped them, and anything you would replace them with would fail the same way when a PSU gets THAT hot.

The necessary change to that specific PSU is to replace the fan or periodically relube it. Unfortunately Sparkle/FSP has used two drastically different quality grades of fans, some of their PSU use any random generic sleeve bearing fan (like Yate Loon) that is quite likely to fail, and other models use very high quality dual ball bearing NMB or Nidec fans which run multiple times as long. That pictured fan isn't an NMB or Nidec, at least not one made in the past several years.

Also, that pictured PSU appears to be a Deer, not a Sparkle. Because of this it would be good to rename the thread title and other incorrect info.
                                    Last edited by 999999999; 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Oops, I was mistakenly thinking the linked Deer PSU was supposed to be a Sparkle too. My apologies. I would still suspect overheating to have popped the caps though, or just a random defect. A good friend of mine at a PC shop has sold hundreds of systems built in AOpen cases for years that come with Sparkle PSU and they don't typically vent the high-side caps unless the fan had failed and the system (was) kept running in that state.

Comment

I poped a Sparkle FSP 350 three years ago. It got same Teapo caps. I was overclocking this Athlon XP old Pally style at 1.8ghz. CPU was running P95 at 60 Degrees. The PSU was trying to get rid of heat. THen I heard a pop. The main caps are gone.

I think most PSU are good now (except those with Fuhjyyu). The PSUs are overworked. ie. provide power and must get rid of heat from the CPU.

Comment

Working...
                                        X