corsair hx620 hissing/rattling sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corsair hx620 hissing/rattling sound

hi can someone guide me on what to check?

already did check the fan so its not the fan that makes noise also the voltage of the 12v is somewhat low

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=21b8ys6&s=6

Re: corsair hx620 hissing/rattling sound

I see 12.12V on the video there, which is perfectly normal. If it's not the fan making the noise, then the only other source would be the coils, but that's unusual on a Seasonic built unit with entirely jap caps.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

coils? can i make the sound go away? what if the scenario is once i put a load let say a motherboard or just even a fan then it shuts itself off, what do i need to check?

thanks c_hegge for the reply

Comment

The coils are the only thing in a PSU which can make noise (apart from the fan), but it's usually a hiss or a high-pitched whine. That banging sound is very unusual. I've never heard a PSU make that noise before, other then when a stray wire was hitting the fan blades.

It could be as simple as a bad joint somewhere, but I don't really know. hopefully, someone with a bit more knowlege desinging PSUs than me (like Th3_Un1qu3) will chime in.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Briefly unplug the fan and try without it.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

@tom66 already tried that still thesame

does this have a relay or something?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=v8orkg&s=6

Comment

Is it just me or does that sound like pulsed arcking?
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                That's what I was thinking

Comment

Use a thin nonconductive tube as a stethoscope to see where that sound is coming from. It sounds like arcing or a faulty protection circuit that's attempting to shut it off in bursts.

Comment

what could be the reason when no load it produces that sound, just now i just tried to plug it on the motherboard with processor and mem, no harddrive it boots up and the noise is gone, now i tried to short the pin to power on then the noise came, its like the psu likes to have a load so noise is gone,

Comment

It may well be that it somehow "gets the hiccups" with no load. At least some PSU's do indeed need some sort of minimum load at least on one of the rails, to be able to regulate (properly).

If there's no unusual noises with some load attached... I see no problems
                      Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

@ khron666 will further test tomorrow with complete pc parts and try to load an os

thanks for the reply

Comment

A PSU shouldn't be making loud sounds like this. I bet that a snubber cap is arcing over. With almost no load the voltage across the snubber cap can go very high.
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

@ben7 what do you mean by snubber cap? whats that?

Comment

Originally posted by techman2012 View Post
                              @ben7 what do you mean by snubber cap? whats that?
                              Usually it is used with a diode and a resistor, and it absorbs spikes of high voltage on the transformer primary to keep the switching transistors from getting damaged. They are film capacitors.
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

i see i think i saw some first is on the main input then on the primary and manymore near the coil with ferrrite choke, where do i need to check and begin? btw how to test it if good or bad? thanks

Comment

I bought a used Corsair HX620W psu today for 35 euros and I have the same problem with techman2012. I already connected the psu to a motherboard and the noise went away. I then proceeded to connect it to a normal PC and test it thoroughly. All voltages were rock solid and very close to the nominal values. The psu itself got barely warm. The max power consumption of the testing PC is ~220W though.

Do you think it's just due to no load?
                                  Last edited by goodpsusearch; 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Most likely it is due to the no/low-load. But IMO that is either a bad design or something has failed. To have an electronic component make so much noise means something must be physically moving or vibrating quite a bit - which likely isn't healthy at all for the PSU.

Perhaps try taking the PSU out of the case and try to run it again in a dark room to see if there is arcing going on anywhere. To me, this sounds like some kind of arcing going on due to the PSU working in burst mode due to the no/low load.

Comment

Working...
                                    X