Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300-145 that overheats and shuts down the CPU reaches over 95º and then shuts down,at idle it works in the 60-70º range.
    but as soon as I run the CPU at 100% it quickly jumps from 60-95º in less than 5 minutes.
    I have reapplied thermal paste and cleaned fan and heatsink vents but to no avail ,my only work around at the moment is to reduce my CPU speed in windows vista from 100% to 80% on an Intel T2390 which relates to a speed reduction from 1.8 to 1.3 GHz. at 1.3 it reaches a maximum temp of about 85º.
    I'm thinking that it's related to heatsink but it seems to be working well, as you can see in the picture section C lies on top of CPU ,D on video card I turned on the computer with the heatsink in the position in the photo and felt the areas with my finger the results were the following with fan spinning:
    Section C ,D very HOT
    Section B warm
    Section A cool.
    To me this seems normal unless someone else knows better.
    I would like to get the laptop working at it's full speed again and not run reduced.
    Any replies would be helpful.
    Attached Files

Re: Toshiba Satellite L300 overheating ,bad heatsink?

any damage to copper pipe section (crack or dents etc)?
    have you replaced thermal pad under D?

Comment

Hi
      I have removed thermal pad and tried paste with same result I then put back the original thermal pad.
      There seems to be a long scratch where C is on top like the picture but doesnt seem to be deep enough and not sure how it even got that scratch since I have never scratched it.
      It gets hot though.
      By the way I couldn't take a picture of my heatsink so I found this one instead.

Comment

heatsink has 4 screws around C to hold it tight and flat to CPU,
        this is not the case with D, there is always a gap of about one sixteenth of a inch, so paste wont do the job, some advise a copper shim there,
        I would never put a copper shim there,
        reason being, if you take a feeler guage to the gap you find that they can have a greater gap on oneside than on the other side, so a shim can never be flat to chip and heatsink
        I think it would be worth replacing thermal pad with new one, especially now that you have taken off the old one at some point

Comment

Here is the bottom of the heatsink

Image taken from:
          http://www.laptech24.co.uk/store/Tos...000120610.html
          Attached Files

Comment

Now this is how it connects to the motherboard:
            Area C and D has 4 holes that are placed on 4 metal shafts that protrude from the motherboard.
            Section A is attached to section D without screws as it hooks on and section B is bolted down with two screws on C the heatsink only uses two screws.
            The heatsink is lowered down with pressure and attaches itself to graphics chip and CPU.

When I tried with the paste on the graphics chip there was evidence of contact between the two as it was smudged.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fabiog; 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The heatpipe is supposed to be a low resistance heat conductor.
              I was cleaning an A200 heatsink by passing hot tap water through the fins. After 5 seconds, the CPU plate was painful to hold on to. This test can also be done with a hot air gun set to 100C.
              If there is a leak in the heatpipe, maybe it can be found by freezing the heatsink then submerging it in hot water and looking for a tiny stream of bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by rievax_60 View Post
                The heatpipe is supposed to be a low resistance heat conductor.
                I was cleaning an A200 heatsink by passing hot tap water through the fins. After 5 seconds, the CPU plate was painful to hold on to. This test can also be done with a hot air gun set to 100C.
                If there is a leak in the heatpipe, maybe it can be found by freezing the heatsink then submerging it in hot water and looking for a tiny stream of bubbles.
                I agree with this. You can alternately run hot and cold water through the fins, and the other end should change temperature almost instantly, much faster than regular thermal conduction through a block of metal.

Comment

Can you take a pic of the motherboard underside?
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

thanks for the replies so it seems likely to be a heatsink or fan problem.

Here is a picture of the motherboard bottom side.

Image taken from:
                    http://www.buy-motherboard.com/produ...productid=8418
                    Attached Files

Comment

No, the other side... I want to see the VRM caps. Also, I'm not sure all L300 boards are the same. Take one of yours specifically. Toshiba switches OEMs with minor model revisions.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                        thanks for the replies so it seems likely to be a heatsink or fan problem.

Here is a picture of the motherboard bottom side.

Image taken from:
                        http://www.buy-motherboard.com/produ...productid=8418
                        You said "Section A cool". There is no need to suspect the fan.

Comment

This weekend I will try the water solution and see what happens.
                          mockingbird my camera has horizontal bands going through and the pictures won't be good to look at.
                          In the meantime here is a photo from another post on this site:
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...highlight=l300

I have same board layout except I have replaced the big square black Nec/Tokin cap that sits under the cpu with 4x tantalum as described on another thread on this side because it had a shutdown ,hanging problem and works fine.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have same board layout except I have replaced the big square black Nec/Tokin cap that sits under the cpu with 4x tantalum as described on another thread on this side because it had a shutdown ,hanging problem and works fine.
                            Aha! What did you replace them with? What brand and series of Tantalums?

Comment

4x 2.5v 330uf tantalum, don't know the brand it was a chinese brand lol.
                              Original was NEC Tokin OE907.
                              It's the second time I did the replacement after almost a year of good work.

Comment

Ok, this might be your problem... You can't just use -any- tantalum cap. It has to be low ESR. If you can't afford good quality tantalum caps (The ones you need cost $3-$5 each), use ceramic caps. Look in the Nec/Tokin thread, somebody posted the ceramic mod and sources for purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                                  I agree with this. You can alternately run hot and cold water through the fins, and the other end should change temperature almost instantly, much faster than regular thermal conduction through a block of metal.
                                  Do you mean the fins by the CPU or by the fan?
                                  I ran water by the CPU and VGA fins it got hot quick and then passed cold water over it and that part cooled down quick too since water was applied to that area specifically.
                                  It seems fine I guess.
                                  Section B gets hot and takes few second to get cold if water is not applied straight on top of it.

I have not tried the freezes solution technique though.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    Ok, this might be your problem... You can't just use -any- tantalum cap. It has to be low ESR. If you can't afford good quality tantalum caps (The ones you need cost $3-$5 each), use ceramic caps. Look in the Nec/Tokin thread, somebody posted the ceramic mod and sources for purchase.
                                    Do you really think this could be causing the excess heat?
                                    Maybe the caps not controlling voltage ,ESR or CPU power management correctly.
                                    Last edited by fabiog; 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I'm no expert, but it sure wouldn't hurt to rule it out. The ESR of cheap tantalum caps is significantly higher than the reference design calls for.

So far I've seen people using T520 series from Kemet and NTP series from Nic Components, both which are excellent ultra low-ESR tantalum caps but run anywhere from $3 to $5 each.
                                      Last edited by mockingbird; 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fabiog View Post
                                        Do you mean the fins by the CPU or by the fan?
                                        I ran water by the CPU and VGA fins it got hot quick and then passed cold water over it and that part cooled down quick too since water was applied to that area specifically.
                                        It seems fine I guess.
                                        Section B gets hot and takes few second to get cold if water is not applied straight on top of it.

I have not tried the freezes solution technique though.
                                        Have you tested the heat pipe also to see how well it conducts heat?

Comment

Working...
                                        X