Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

Same Aldi, same Medion.

Comment

If it is this one, well it is the same:

http://www.aldi.de/

Comment

The 'High Power' 300w looks like either a rebadged Enlight or a copy of one, based on the label.
        You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
        Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Highpower/Sirtec is the OEM for Enlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
            Highpower/Sirtec is the OEM for Enlight.
            Not all Enlight. Some were Sparkle. More recently ATNG.
            Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Right - that's what I get for posting before I completely wake up

Comment

I also have a pic of one of the "M" logos, can anyone identify this cap?
                Panasonic (Matsushita) TS-UP series. Good stuff.

WRT the "Peak Power = 300W", WTH does that mean? A one-hour peak? A one-minute peak? A 1uS peak? Look like 200W-250W realistic, continuous, power.
                Last edited by PeteS in CA; 07-23-2006, 01:45 PM.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Recently, I put in an new ANTEC SL350 into my system since old HEC is getting old (5yr and powered numerous previous sytems)

Current sytem spec:
                  AXP 3200+, ASUS A7N8X DX (power cpu through 5V line), 1GB ram, 2x120gb drive, 9800 pro (power hungry).

the antec built in late 2004 can not power my system reliabily. 5V dipped below to 4.63V or so and when I game or run 100% load, it rebooted.

I put in the 5 year old HEC 350 LD-T (2001) back in and the 5V is at 4.83V idle and 4.76V load still within atx standard. The HEC is even rated lower than ANTEC on all rails. 3.3V (antec: 33A, HEC: 28A), 5V (antec:35A, HEC:30 A), 12V (antec 20A, HEC: only 15 A)

From a japanese site, it showed that the HEC have 2X 1000uf 200V main cap while antec SL350 only have 2x820uf 200V. Damn! Antec 2004 loses to HEC 2001 both are equal classed 350 watts yet one is under designed and the other is built to last.

And I thought new is better
                  Last edited by nsx29; 07-30-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx29
                    And I thought new is better
                    I think you'll find the problem with the Antec is not the primary caps, but the ones on the output, which are often Fuhjyyu . These have given much grief in the past to many people who believed in the CWT-built PSU's long-term reliability. You should check this.

Comment

Don't want to lose warrenty. I want to see if they will rma me one with better cap.(unlikely)

Comment

Originally posted by nsx29
                        Don't want to lose warrenty. I want to see if they will rma me one with better cap.(unlikely)
                        But can you see what caps are inside without opening it? I don't think all Antec units are Fuj...

Comment

I took a peek and it's all blue fuj. with 2 teapo. I sent an ticket to antec regarding their psu underperforming when compare to another unit and that the 5V rail dipping way too low.

They just closed the ticket on me. I guess ANTEC is a shady company after all. Who would trust these ppl. claiming they now use good caps after many ppl's antec blew up.

Closing a ticket on the customer is just LOW. They must be shitting in their pants thinking: "Damn! everyone knows up use crap in our psu. We must think of another plan to promote our shit"

By the way, I also ask if they would kindly exchange my unit for a real 350 watt.

Comment

posted pics of an a-power and a manattan.
                            looks like they forgot a few parts in both.
                            the guilty party behind the apower forgot to remove the break out section with the name and engrish!
                            every one of these i have seen had that part snapped off.missed one!
                            the manhattan is a first class piece of junk.
                            running a vp6 on it +12 was 11.25v
                            +5 was 5.7v
                            this is measured with a fluke 75 and a old beckman.
                            both these meters are in good shape and are trusted.
                            started f@h and as soon as it started folding +5 dropped to 4.65v and it rebooted.
                            rifle target!

Comment

I dont see how A power makes money. The units fail in 3 months or less. We email the distributor every 2 weeks with the number of failed units we have, they dont even want the old ones back, they just send more at no charge. I keep telling people not to buy them, they are junk, but few listen, they see 480W Gamer Edition with lights for $15 and think its the deal of the century.

Comment

Just Re: my High Power PSU. I was looking through these photos with some friends on AIM last night, and noticed something unusual...

It looks as if one of the input caps is taller than the other. They're both Teapo, but what does this mean? Is one of the caps bulging? Have they mismatched the two input caps? If the latter, it's a sure-fire recipe for failure...

The PSU is back inside the machine right now, otherwise I'd take a look at the details on the side and check if they were mismatched.
                                You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Is the taller input cap also narrower than the shorter one?

I had some identical model Leadman PSUs where the input caps, all 680uF and either HEC or JEE, were thin and tall in some and slightly fatter and shorter in others. They seemed to have been built in the same week of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41
                                    It looks as if one of the input caps is taller than the other.
                                    Difficult to say if they really are different though, from that photo. The cap that appears taller may be mounted such that it is leaning a few degrees diagonally away from the camera, making it appear longer. If that were the case, you would see the base of the cap lifted from the PCB by a millimeter or so, but this is hidden behind all that glue.

In any case, it is going to be an indicator of poor workmanship, one way or the other.

Comment

The early Xbox had problems with power cable connecter breaking solder joints. Instead of recalling the Xbox, Microsoft sent you a GFCI cable. The ps would still die, but would kick the breaker so your house would not burn down! Burned completly through the board. I went a little large on awg for the wire to fix it, but with that and some hot glue, I don't think it will be a problem anymore.

All the low esr caps in the Xbox were Nichicon PW with UCC KZE for processor vrm. There were a bunch of small Nichicon VR 85c caps also.

Comment

Microsoft's remedy to the problem by offering free "circuit breaker" leads was not good enough... My reaction: I would not sell the Xbox!
                                        It should have remedied by getting a free service with a new power supply PCB with a fuse - the original units did not even have one
                                        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

If I were to fix the Xbox for someone else or sell it, I would recomend one of the after market ps that fix the problem.

kc8adu, how much did that fsp350 cost and where did you get it? I have a cheap 120mm fan that looks just like that. Maybe I'll cut a big hole in my Enhance 350 and put it in there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X