Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus A7N8X Deluxe - 6 bad caps, but board still stable

Here's my Horror Capinet:

It's the infamous Nichicon HM(M) series...

Looks really bad, doesn't it? And I even have already removed most of the stuff some months ago, it just kept coming again.

The weird thing is just that my system is still running stable (albeit from the usual Windows problems). It's basically running 24/7 and I haven't experienced any instability so far. No blue screens or freezes.

Should I replace the caps nonetheless? Can they destroy the mainboard completely, or damage any other computer components, due to wrong voltages for example?
    Attached Files

Re: Asus A7N8X Deluxe - 6 bad caps, but board still stable

thats got to be the worst accumulation of crud i have ever seen on a vented cap.look for ant trails near the system as i think the hills are on the caps :-)
    i would replace those asap while it still runs.might cost you the board and cpu if you let it go too long.

Comment

Yeah, I'll do this. Better some work now, than a dead PC later.

I'll just have to search a new home for my ants...

Comment

buddy,

is that a version 2.0 or a version 1.X board. These problem don't seem to occur on 2.0 boards only on 1.X boards.

Comment

Nope, it's definitely a rev 2.0 board.

But I was also wondering why I have these Nichicon HM(M)'s on my board anyway. Reportedly they have been mainly used in Dell, Intel and Apple boards.

Probably I have caught some minor edition.

Comment

Oh just push them down and smear glue over the leak, they'll be fine.
            Jim

Comment

Mine failed also, Nichicon HMM, I also had some smaller 1000uf caps fail above the memory slots.

Comment

Alex,

are all ur ost still ok? Only the nichicons failing? It seems funny because most failed nichicons were on rev. 1.06 boards. Can u tell me when u got the board? I have an A7N8X DX as well and nichicons still ok but i am doing 12 hrs per day on the machine. BTW. I got mine in Oct. 2003. U might have the newer batch of a7n8x.

Better recap them fast. United Chemicons KZG/KZJ should be good nuff.

Comment

Well, those pics seems to cover the rumor that those caps have got a little too mutch elektrolyt during production.

Comment

Originally posted by nsx29
                    Alex,

are all ur ost still ok? Only the nichicons failing? It seems funny because most failed nichicons were on rev. 1.06 boards. Can u tell me when u got the board? I have an A7N8X DX as well and nichicons still ok but i am doing 12 hrs per day on the machine. BTW. I got mine in Oct. 2003. U might have the newer batch of a7n8x.
                    Yes, it seems only the Nichicons are bad, all others are OK.

Got mine around June 2003. I think that's when the first rev 2.0's came out.

Originally posted by nsx29
                    Better recap them fast. United Chemicons KZG/KZJ should be good nuff.
                    Yes, thanks, but I'll have to see what I get here for a reasonable price.
                    Last edited by Alex77; 07-13-2006, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                      Well, those pics seems to cover the rumor that those caps have got a little too mutch elektrolyt during production.
                      Yes, I read that, too. That's probably the case, rather than bad electrolyte.

Comment

Well Alex, in Germany you can obtain Chemicon KZG, Rubycon MBZ, Rubycon MCZ from HK and Panasonic FC.

At ebay somone sells some NOT low esr caps, wich are IMHO not that suitable for that board.
                        If you have problems sourcing those caps, i can give you those shops i ordered from.
                        It was a pain in the ass to looking for them.

BTW: wich state is Bielefeld? Im from Stuttgart, BW.
                        Last edited by gonzo0815; 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Gonzo, yes it's a bit tricky to find caps with just the right specs (if you don't wanna spend 4€ per cap ). I've found a message in a hardware forum from a guy who says that he has a bigger number of Rubycon MBZ left for sale. I'll try this first, could be the cheapest way.

Bielefeld is in NRW (Nordrhein-Westfalen)

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
                            Oh just push them down and smear glue over the leak, they'll be fine.
                            Beastly! You own stock in Intel, I take it.

Comment

Well, i ordered some MBZ, Panasonic FC from segor.de. But they don`t state the correct manufacturer, only some pics can tell if it is crap or not.
                              http://www.elektronikbauteile.de, i hven`t ordered yet.
                              http://shop.zeg-shop.de dito.

For larger quantities i recomend www.waifong.com, but 16% tax will be added from Germanies custom.
                              But still the only place to get MCZ.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                Well, i ordered some MBZ, Panasonic FC from segor.de. But they don`t state the correct manufacturer, only some pics can tell if it is crap or not.
                                Hey thanks for the address, I didn't know that shop before! But I'll keep it in mind if I need anything in the future, they seem to have a big sortiment at fair prices. At least my needed Caps were by far the cheapest at this shop, compared to the other ones I checked before (13,40€ for 10 pieces Rubycon MBZ, including shipping).
                                But now I'll get them from a private guy. (10,50€ for 12 Caps, including shipping, also Rubycon MBZ.)

Comment

Yes, the price is ok, whereas waifong is probably chepeast on the absolut lowest ESR caps MCZ (but rated life is only 2000h @105°C). But due to the shipping this is only for more than 50 pcs relevant.

Comment

My 1.4 board looked about the same, except that all three caps at the AGP were wasted, and hence the comp would crash frequently, especially when running 3D applications (read games hehehe)

Comment

YAY! Thanks to this site, it's up and running again!
                                      Looks like a mushroom cultivation since I had to use 12.5mm caps instaed of the original 10mm, but it's prefectly stable

I'll add pictures once I get my hands on a camera...

Comment

Originally posted by Alex77
                                        Gonzo, yes it's a bit tricky to find caps with just the right specs (if you don't wanna spend 4€ per cap ). I've found a message in a hardware forum from a guy who says that he has a bigger number of Rubycon MBZ left for sale. I'll try this first, could be the cheapest way.

Bielefeld is in NRW (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
                                        And...how did that go? Did you contact the guy? I am stucked with 8 bulged caps A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04

Comment

Working...
                                        X