Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG OLED55C6P-U Turns on, vertical lines, then turns off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG OLED55C6P-U Turns on, vertical lines, then turns off.

Hey guys. New here, but have been a long time reader. I originally posted this in a different OLED repair thread, and was given the suggestion to try starting a new thread, and I agree. I got this LG OLED55C6P-U TV on craigslist for cheap as not working. Seller stated that after a lighting strike during a storm (which we have been having lately in TX) it stopped working.. An hour later. Which tells me it probably wasn't lightning damage if it worked for a little while after (I could be wrong).

Once I took off the back cover, I found some sticky red stuff that looked like maybe one of his kids spilled some kind of drink on it, and the stuff went into the vent on the rear cover. Some drops of it were on the first power board (the small one, buffer board maybe), the tcon board under the heat sink, and on the far right side cable going from the tcon down to the driver board on the display, it just dripped down. There didn't appear to be any below the tcon cable connector on the driver board thankfully, but it got in the connectors on both the tcon and driver boards for that far right ribbon cable. I cleaned it all off with rubbing alcohol and q-tips thoroughly, and reassembled everything. I also did not see any sign of damage on the main board or power board either, no bad caps or burn marks on anything, at least no visible damage. Although I do not have an ESV to check for any non visible damage.

Nothing changed, same issue. If I disconnect the bottom LVDS cable going from the tcon to the main board, then it powers up and stays powered up, but of course the screen is blank. With everything plugged in correctly, it just powers up, flashes the vertical lines in the center, and shuts off. I also tried the POWER_ONLY service remote wav file trick, which does the same thing as just powering the TV on regularly, so no change there.

I am tempted to buy a tcon board off ebay, but I feel that there is more that I could do first to rule out the possibility of a bad main board, or.. a bad panel. No cracks, but I am learning that OLED panels don't have to be cracked to fail. I would hate to throw money at just different boards in a shotgun approach hoping one of them fixes it, only to find out it is the panel and I wasted money on boards.

I am just a hobbyist, with no real special training, although I have repaired quite a few TVs over the years from craigslist buys, never have I delved into an OLED until now. I will post a video up of exactly what it is doing. Maybe someone has an idea of what direction I should go in. Here's to hoping it isn't the panel. Also, sorry for the lengthy post. And thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljquuu74Vag
    Last edited by Goombastamp; 09-25-2018, 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: LG OLED55C6P-U Turns on, vertical lines, then turns off.

Also, I forgot to mention, but it has 3.5v standby when off, and 12/24v steady when powered on.

Comment

Re: LG OLED55C6P-U Turns on, vertical lines, then turns off.

And one more thing again. If I unplug all of the tcon cables going into the driver board EXCEPT the far left cable, the set will power up, and stay powered up, with colored vertical lines in the same spot as the white ones before, and also since it isn't shutting down like this, the main board seems to properly power up, because the optical audio out LED lights up red. However I cannot test for audio out of the speakers, as it will not respond to the remote, I can't even turn it off with the remote (or the main button on the TV either), and actually have to unplug the TV to turn it off.

But if I try leaving any other single driver board cable plugged into the tcon (except for the far left one), then it exhibits the same behavior as before. I hate that the driver board is basically inaccessible on these models for any testing. Also, sorry for not having photo's on here, I can upload any if need be, I just haven't copied them over yet.

Comment

Working...
      X