Can't connect laptop to hidden network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect laptop to hidden network

Good day folks. This issue has been driving me up the wall lately and I decided I'd have to discuss it with someone else, since I couldn't possibly solve it myself. I've got a laptop which refuses to connect to hidden SSIDs. It's a pretty nasty thing - it's got an Atheros wireless card on it currently...been through the "reflow" oven a couple of times, managed to bring it back from the dead a couple of times....that's beside the point. The point is I CANNOT get this thing to connect to hidden SSIDs: it always says "was unable to connect to"...I tried manually creating a profile, reinstalling the wireless card, even changing the card and nothing helped...it's got win7 Pro running on it. There's probably some small quirk that I'm missing, like you know when browsers refuse to display pages because the date is off - that sort of stuff.....any ideas ?
    Yes, if I unhide the SSID, it works and virtually every other device in my house works without a problem with it hidden. Please don't suggest unhiding the SSID and leave it like that...the question is why would a device NOT connect to a hidden SSID in general
    Wattevah...

Re: Can't connect laptop to hidden network

are you setting the channel number?
    if you arent broadcasting the ssid then how will the laptop know what channel to be on?

Comment

I managed to get it going eventually with a third WLAN card. How can you set the channel number in Windows ? I don't remember there being such option.
      Wattevah...

Comment

..but now I've ran into another issue: it takes it a very long time after startup to connect on its own. It does it eventually, but only after like 3 minutes :|
        Wattevah...

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
          ..but now I've ran into another issue: it takes it a very long time after startup to connect on its own. It does it eventually, but only after like 3 minutes :|
          Sounds a lot like a bad cat. cable. Is that with wifi? If everything otherwise looks fine, then I would do a real-deal fresh reinstall of the OS! If it's with wifi, run a command prompt as administrator and run tracert!

Reply with the tracert results. If there's packet loss, then you're on the same kind of boat as I was, which is most likely a bad wifi receiver and transmitter.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-05-2018, 03:46 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
            I managed to get it going eventually with a third WLAN card. How can you set the channel number in Windows ? I don't remember there being such option.
            The channel is set on the transmitting device not the receiving. It's in the router settings.

The question for me is why hide the SSID in the first place. It's more likely to attract skiddie hack attempts due to it being hidden and does nothing to improve security.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              The question for me is why hide the SSID in the first place
              I dunno...it's more of a mental comfort than anything, since I'm perfectly aware it's useless otherwise...I got MAC filtering going on too, which I reckon is a step-up.
              Wattevah...

Comment

MAC spoofing isn't hard. A decent admin password and wifi password using WPA2 + AES is usually all you need.

I think hiding the SSID has the opposite affect, it's more likely to attract attention.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  A decent admin password and wifi password using WPA2 + AES is usually all you need.
                  Got that too
                  Wattevah...

Comment

change the ssid to look like a printer or some other "connected" junk - that may put a few people off.

Comment

Such as Nest-Thermostat-3
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I had that happen today on a Windows 7 laptop that I was cleaning up too. But it only happened once. After I pulled up the wireless list and tried again the second time, it connected fine.

Meanwhile, none of my XP machines have ever had a problem with that. I'll just chuck that as another random Windows 7 bug that will probably never get fixed, among many others. Or is it not?

Comment

Working...
                        X