This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

I have uploaded the firmware from one on eevblog.
    Yes it has a menu where you can select the basic modes of operation, including only ESR.
    If anything's missing just compile your own
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-06-2018, 05:27 AM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

@STJ,
      Did you investigate the AY-AT firmware further? (See message 928)

Comment

no.
        and that machine is sketchy as fuck - i think a harddrive is failing.

Comment

Hi i was going to arder AY-AT tester with case but seen a post where it says this one maybe a better choice and is newer https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M644...ceBeautifyAB=0
          can this tester be upgraded with later firmware etc if needed and has anyone found a case too fit them thanks

Comment

ask here:
            http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/5025/

it looks o.k. but a colour display would have been better.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              ask here:
              http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/5025/

it looks o.k. but a colour display would have been better.
              Yes true no colour screen on these, so a ay-at it is then as aliexpress has a sale on and these can come with a case etc, too save me reading loads of pages in the eevblog thread lol, do you know what if any parts are recommend to swop out? before i update the firmware, i will also keep too a 9v battery as fits in case nice.
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

only the voltage reference really, like last time - i think you have spares of the lm4040

beware of the case, if it's the acrylic ones they crack.

Comment

btw, i ordered one of these in the sale.
                  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...814430302.html

i'm thinking with a mask on the end to reduce the aperature, i can check how hot chips are without using the "finger test"

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    btw, i ordered one of these in the sale.
                    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...814430302.html

i'm thinking with a mask on the end to reduce the aperature, i can check how hot chips are without using the "finger test"
                    yes got spares of the lm4040 so thats ok what crystal does the ay-at come with is it worth upgrading? and yes that looks like a good ir thermometer i will have a good look through there site whilst the sales on, i was going too make a post asking if anyone had spotted anygood bargains etc we all like too build our test equipment/parts stock up.

Comment

upgrade to a 16MHz crystal too.

Comment

GM328R firmware attached containing latest SVN version 798 of Karl-Heinz firmware.
                        This time 16Mhz and 20Mhz builds are included, I have tested both.
                        Attached Files
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

@STJ

Is your old machine still sketchy ?

Comment

worse,
                            drive is dead
                            i know why - the motor driver ic is shorted (ST smooth series) - i'm looking for a donor drive to get another chip.

Comment

component testers

just did a fresh build
                              not tested yet.

GM328 - every option on, low bat @7.2v

AY-AT no BJT / PUT testing - i tried real hard but there is simply not enough flash.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Re: component testers

Are you going to show any pictures of the unit that you are building
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply
                                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

i did, nothing has been added since.

the way i see it, there is no point building one if it costs over twice as much in parts as buying one from china and upgrading the crystal.

i will buy a new one when i see one with an atmega664 or 1284 and a colour display that i like.
                                  i wont buy or recomend any atmega328 based stuff now, they just dont have enough memory for all the features.
                                  Last edited by stj; 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Anyone have a PUT or UJT to play with on these testers?
                                    SCS?

I suppose DIACs are more available but testing such on these things are going to be tough?

Comment

maybe a diac works - i dont have one to try.
                                      not even seen one for decades.

in theory it may be detected as 2 diodes.

Comment

I have a few UJTs in my junk pile, but not PUTs or SCSs. Yeah probably should show up as two diodes or something to that extent. (Incidentally, how could SCS be tested? has more than 3 pins...)

DIACs I have a couple and they're still being made/used, but I don't think they could be properly tested. They might detect as a funky high ohm resistor or something? Not sure. I don't have one of these testers to try.

Comment

a diac would probably show as a pair of zeners.
                                          i think i may have one on an old switching psu for halogen lamps - maybe i will be able to test that theory.

Comment

Working...
                                          X