Need help - 3 Caps replacement for EVGA 780i SLI motherbord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help - 3 Caps replacement for EVGA 780i SLI motherbord

So I was having issues with my computer lately, tested my gpu/ram, nothing. Formatted, put a fresh copy of win 8 in, still blue screening, stress tested the cpu and found core0 failing, got the cpu today, went to put it in, and found 3 blown capacitors.

So I just need help finding replacements for them, I think I found them and just wanted assurance, thanks.

2x blown: 6.3v 2700uf MFZ T0712 105°C PET
    1x blown: 6.3v 1500uf SAMXON GC(M) W4A 105°c8

and these are the caps I found:

Nichicon 2700uF 6.3v Ultra Low ESR Electrolytic Capacitor:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=149

Nichicon 1500uF 6.3v 10mm Ultra Low ESR Electrolytic Capacitor:
    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=147

Will these work? I also found some on another site if not, here:
    6.3v 2700uf: http://goo.gl/OkSLhw
    6.3v 1500uf: http://goo.gl/UGwWQh

Thank you for the help.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help - 3 Caps replacement for EVGA 780i SLI motherbord

Ouch, something must have gone bad to kill a Rubycon like that, even if it is a 2007 cap. If it wasn't a chain reaction caused by those Samxons, check the power supply, as it could be worse in that, especially if it's the original one. I'd be expecting to see a few dead Teapo caps or similar brands in a seven year old PSU...

If not, maybe Windows 8 really is bad enough to cause hardware to become suicidal.

Comment

I run a pretty hard overclock on the system, wondering if that caused it. But I'll check the PSU too, good call before firing up the board with new caps.

Comment

Check PSU and report back (better yet, post some pictures of it or at least tell us what brand and model it is).

It may also be that your overclock is pushing the motherboard too far, making the MOSFETS and coils for the CPU VRM overheat, thus causing the caps to blow. If that's the case, you might have better luck if you replace those electrolytic caps with polymers. However, if the CPU VRM is running so hot that it cooks caps, you may also have to implement something to cool it down (a fan directed down on the board in the CPU VRM area would do). Hot-running MOSFETs and coils are never a good thing!

Which leads me to this... the problem could also be caused simply be inadequate cooling on the motherboard. Many CPU coolers nowadays pull air from one side and push it out the other parallel to the board. While this does indeed allow for a better overall cooling in the PC case, it may not provide adequate cooling for some of the components on the board.
        Last edited by momaka; 02-07-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Ok so I took apart the PSU and didn't find any problems. Here's some pics.
          Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MikeM84; 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM. Reason: PSU model

Comment

I see many Samxon GF. Not a very good thing. While this may not be the cause of your problem and yours still appear to be good, just keep in mind that they do fail a lot.

That said, I'm more inclined to think your caps probably failed because of reason 2 and 3 I gave above (or a mix in between). So try turning down that overclock a little or try adding a fan to keep the CPU VRM cool (after replacing the caps, of course).

Comment

Keeping the cpu cool shouldn't be an issue now that I've installed a corsair h60 with in push/pull config, runs around 30c now.
              And the VRM has a built-in copper cooling radiator:
              http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...i/evga_lrg.jpg
              Last edited by MikeM84; 02-13-2014, 02:37 AM. Reason: pic

Comment

Just keep in mind that a closed loop water cooler like that removes allot of airflow that would otherwise go over the mainboard.
                On my own system I installed a fan cooling the motherboard for this reason (I have a custom built water cooler)
                Without it the motherboard VRM heatsink got too hot for my comfort zone...
                But it looks like on one of the pics you already have a fan on the VRM heatsink?
                If so you should be good, just make sure it makes good contact with the VRM's
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

If the PSU has Samxon GF, replace those capacitors too, they're horrible anyway.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

yes as the samxons are on borrowed time.cwt does a good job of selecting crap parts.they have a near perfect track record of it!
                    Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                    If the PSU has Samxon GF, replace those capacitors too, they're horrible anyway.

Comment

You over clock but cant clean your system, and you wonder why the caps blew? Clearly HEAT is your best friend next to dust......................................
                      X99 5930K
                      X99-gaming 9
                      EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                      Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                      SSD'S
                      Corsair AX1200

Comment

Originally posted by Philly Cheese Steak View Post
                        You over clock but cant clean your system, and you wonder why the caps blew? Clearly HEAT is your best friend next to dust......................................
                        The system is not that dusty at all. Unless you'd like me to get down on hands and knees with a toothbrush and clean every part.

The dustiest part was the inside of the PSU. Which didn't blow anything.

Anyway,
                        It's been awhile since I ordered the replacement caps, I have them, but am finding it difficult to replace them. I don't think evga used tin solder. I've been through a bunch of soldering irons, up to 70w 1200F, and they wont un-solder.

Any advice for swapping these? Should I take the board to an electronics shop or something?

Comment

It's hard to do multilayer boards if you have never done it before. Preheating and good tools help a lot. Huge amounts of heat do not necessarily help, as they can often just make things oxidise faster and become dirty, and make everything harder.

Practice on some old boards if you need to. Or yes, you could take it to a shop and get them to swap the parts for you.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

I find a dab of flux on each of the legs helps with heat transfer, and I usually add a bit of solder to aid in desoldering. I heat one leg and then gently pull on the cap away from heated leg , then heat the other leg and pull the other way. Repeat a few times and the cap can be "walked" out.

Comment

Working...
                            X