´Could this be an internal USB port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

´Could this be an internal USB port?

I've disassemble an Acer Aspire 1650 for a friend of mine to reball the VGA chip because it's showing random vertical lines/dots and doesn't work except with XP's default VGA driver, and I noticed a place where a 4pin connector could exist.

Could this be used as an internal USB port? I ask because this Acer doesn't have a camera, but I have a broken Acer with a camera and the LCD frame fits this one nicely. I tested pins 1+4 and it outputs about 3.4v.
    Attached Files

Re: ´Could this be an internal USB port?

USB uses 5V, not 3.3V.

Comment

Its probably for the camera but not a usb, most laptop cameras only use 3.3.v and the similar pinout to usb, so it could be a port for a camera connector to solder onto.
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

I think a service manual would reveal the purpose of that connector.

Comment

Originally posted by ddscentral View Post
          I think a service manual would reveal the purpose of that connector.
          The service manual doesn't show a connector in that place, but it does show a shadow identical to the other connectors, it just isn't outlined.

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
          Its probably for the camera but not a usb, most laptop cameras only use 3.3.v and the similar pinout to usb, so it could be a port for a camera connector to solder onto.
          Thanks for that info. I also have an Acer Aspire 1680 (aka Travelmate 4000) that doesn't output image though VGA or S-Video out due to a shortcut when it was connected to a TV, otherwise it works fine. It's also missing exactly the same type of connector on a different place, and I was already suspecting it could be used for a camera. I'll have to find some free time to play around with a soldering iron and see if it makes the camera work. If it does work, it's a nice bonus!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by johnye_pt View Post
            The service manual doesn't show a connector in that place, but it does show a shadow identical to the other connectors, it just isn't outlined.

Thanks for that info. I also have an Acer Aspire 1680 (aka Travelmate 4000) that doesn't output image though VGA or S-Video out due to a shortcut when it was connected to a TV, otherwise it works fine. It's also missing exactly the same type of connector on a different place, and I was already suspecting it could be used for a camera. I'll have to find some free time to play around with a soldering iron and see if it makes the camera work. If it does work, it's a nice bonus!
            Yeah Im sure its for a camera, as they would have taken a standard oem motherboard that has all the standard pinouts but when they built the laptop they didnt include a camera so they removed the connector of the motherboard.
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Working...
            X