my zombi-puter has finally died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my zombi-puter has finally died.

OK, so this wasnt the board I recaped... Anyway, the SB has obviously had a hot life.
    Attached Files
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
      OK, so this wasnt the board I recaped... Anyway, the SB has obviously had a hot life.
      Yep, that's an ASUS- can you guess how I know?

Also, it's been "cost reduced" per Intel. The chip has no heatsink and the area for that MOSFET(?), while being silkscreened for a larger one, has a smaller-than-original one.

I'd try replacing those KZGs.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

one thing that always drove me nuts was the fact that it only supports 2gb RAM, this new(to me) one supports up 32gb. plus the two extra cores and extra 50meg of speed are nice. then there is the onboard RAID, the ability to boot from add on cards, and the slots for my Quantum Bigfoots
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

one thing that always drove me nuts was the fact that it only supports 2gb RAM, this new(to me) one supports up 32gb. plus the two extra cores and extra 50meg of speed are nice. then there is the onboard RAID, the ability to boot from add on cards, and the slots for my Quantum Bigfoots
          Cost reduced indeed.
          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
            Cost reduced indeed.
            also doesn't supply 3.3v to the PCI(-e) cards.

should i dump the output of a few hardware listing commands here? they're sitting in the infrastructure that was built by me and this one cat who is an engineer from Comcast, which we obviously have access to 24/7.
            Last edited by goontron; 10-16-2014, 09:46 PM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

also doesn't supply 3.3v to the PCI(-e) cards.

should i dump the output of a few hardware listing commands here? they're sitting in the infrastructure that was built by me and this one cat who is an engineer from Comcast, which we obviously have access to 24/7.
              Not needed. No 3.3V PCI, yet it's new enought to have a 965 chipset?

I thought Netburst was bad...

That was a junky system 10 years ago.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Not needed. No 3.3V PCI, yet it's new enought to have a 965 chipset?

I thought Netburst was bad...

That was a junky system 10 years ago.
                Netbust/netburn/Netbroke/Netbork/Netbunk is bad. but its nice compared to this thing.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

^
                  Netbust was always my preferred term.... I have ONE P4 level netbust system still in the fleet, old HP d530 slimline.... There's a netbust xeon system in the mix as well, but that one is out in the garage on a workbench.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

netburst cpu's will be worth more than gold when the global cooling kicks in and you need to heat your pc to stop the harddrives freezing.

Comment

I've got an Intel Q8200 that keeps my living room warm in winter. Seriously, that thing puts out a lot of heat. Makes me sweat sitting next to it in summer. I keep a fan in the corner to get cool air over here.
                      sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

My (thank goodness, retired) P4-3400 definitely gets quite warm but my video cards are just as bad, if not worse... The Radeon 8500DV AIW in that machine makes the system a venerable heater.

My i7 and Q9550S don't get that warm at all by themselves...

However I recently stuck my Radeon5770HD in my i7 to get a bit more GPU speed. That video card almost doubled the i7's total power consumption when idle... Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          netburst cpu's will be worth more than gold when the global cooling kicks in and you need to heat your pc to stop the harddrives freezing.
                          The Kentsfield processors will do a good job of that! (65 nm Core 2 Quads)
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

UPDATE: got my new rig, thread coming soon!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Do you think the chipset had poor heatsinks/lousy cooling, to where the BGAs got stressed over many heat/cool cycles?
                              Based on the symptoms, that would be my guess as too... Well either that or the CPU socket BGA. Most (if not all) standard Intel and AMD heatsink retention mechanisms after the socket 370 and socket 462 era rely on the motherboard's flexing force to hold down the CPU heatsink (which is a very poor design, IMO). As a result, many motherboards end up getting warped from the CPU heatsink. If the CPU ever ran hot and was cycled many times, I wouldn't be too surprised if this fractured the CPU socket's BGA.

Same applies for the chipset BGA, and especially for Intel-built motherboards, since some of their chipset heatsink retention mechanism designs were just as poor (a few Intel D845 motherboards come to mind here, among others).

And lastly, while the chipset heatsink may seem to run cool to the touch, the chipset could still be quite hot. If it's got a small die and the heatsink is aluminum, chances are the thermal coupling is not very good.

As for the rotten netburst press-hot, who cares?
                              Hey, don't be dissing the Netburst! While not very efficient, it's probably the only CPU from the early years in the millenium that can still handle Adobe Flash fairly okay (especially the HT variants). Also good for video encoding/decoding (thanks to the long and narrow architecture, which is well fit for that task).

Originally posted by stj
                              they are reliable, unlike modern seagates.
                              What?! Those 5" quantum bigfoot HDDs have terrible reliability - bad sector galore at best. Large platters have complex problems that are hard to overcome. I'm not surprised at all that 5.25" HDDs did not catch in the industry.

Originally posted by goontron
                              maybe i like the sound of them running.
                              Heh, yeah they do make a cool sound when running, and especially when the HDD initializes. My 3.2 GB makes the case vibrate in a funny way .

Originally posted by stj
                              I have one of these:
                              http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentiu...3000FT%29.html
                              Just scroll down on that page and check out the TDP!
                              Yup... 130W TDP . And maxes out at 150-ish Watts. I tried it on a small mATX ASUS motherboard, and it made the whole board nice and very warm to the touch .
                              Last edited by momaka; 10-25-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

got my new rig, will post thread after CPU heatsink replacement.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Q6600 at 3.3 apparently maxes out at 250ish!
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

update: new rig https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=496260

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Yeah, I see those SB chips discolor the other side of the board too. I usually throw a heatsink on there and that helps quite a bit. I agree that Pentium D's aren't that bad. The 65nm ones were a lot better. As long as they have RAM to work with, a good heatsink, and a PSU that can handle the 12V load

My parents still use a Pentium D 940 as their main machine, with 4GB DDR2 667, 7 Home, and an Intel 240GB SSD. The thing boots up in about 20 seconds

Comment

Working...
                                      X