Recalcitrant A8V Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recalcitrant A8V Deluxe

Testing this board on a wooden surface, sometimes it will start the power supply when I short PWR & Ground on its System Panel block, and sometimes it won't

For a given session, if it starts it'll continue to start after a power off, but if it won't start nothing I can do will persuade it to start (including a change of power supply)

During one of its cooperative phases I discovered that its LAN, although detected by an O/S, would freeze up the session if enabled in BIOS

This applied to both Windows XP & descendents, and Linux - not a driver issue, same setup worked nicely with another, pleasant, A8V Deluxe

Any suggestions ? - I'm tempted to try removing its LAN chip
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Recalcitrant A8V Deluxe

^
    I'd say give that a go. I've fixed a couple of boards which were refusing to power up that way (including the board in my current main PC)
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

change the battery before anything else.

Comment

I changed its battery before starting on this board

Have been trying it with my refurbished Antec Truepower 2.0 480W https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37794

Worked fine for a couple of days, then turned nasty again this morning - wouldn't start the power supply - and its LAN chip was slightly warm to the touch, compared to others like South Bridge which were stone cold

LAN amputation coming up soon
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

LAN chip removed

Expected to see LAN options gone from BIOS, but they're still there

However, even though LAN is enabled in BIOS, WinXP shows no network connection, so the freezing issue is gone

What isn't gone is erratic starting

I thought non-starting had gone constant, and put the board aside with a CMOS battery having ~3V some weeks ago

Picking up on it again, it started, albeit with the battery drained to ~0.5V

So I put another battery of ~3V in it, and now the damn thing wont start again

BTW, I'm not wasting CR2032 batteries - have one soldered to a CR123 no longer effective in my flashlight

I recall someone here fixing a problem with CMOS batteries being drained, by replacing a transistor or FET that was stuck open

Can't find that thread, but if that person reads this, could you please pass some expertise my way

Comment

Well I put the ~0.5V battery back in, and it still wouldn't start

Tried different power supplies - no go

It's now sat for a couple of days, still no go

Seems like whatever electronic switch is activated by momentarily shorting PWR & Ground pins, is stuck open

How do I track this down ?

Comment

follow the track rfom the battery + terminal to find the diode(s)

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                Well I put the ~0.5V battery back in, and it still wouldn't start

Tried different power supplies - no go

It's now sat for a couple of days, still no go

Seems like whatever electronic switch is activated by momentarily shorting PWR & Ground pins, is stuck open

How do I track this down ?
                There's some black magic going on with ASUS boards.....I've had this happen too with my P4P800-VM,and until I dissasembled and assembled the PC back I had to power it the AT/XT way,by wiring a rocker switch to PS_ON and a GND.

Give this option a shot,at least I had success powering on my board this way,and it POSTed.
                Last edited by Dan81; 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                  power it the AT/XT way,by wiring a rocker switch to PS_ON and a GND.

Give this option a shot,at least I had success powering on my board this way,and it POSTed.
                  Not an option with this board - when it's having one of its tantrums, if I turn power off at wall, jumper PWR & Ground, then turn power on, it still won't start

Comment

Not an option with this board - when it's having one of its tantrums, if I turn power off at wall, jumper PWR & Ground, then turn power on, it still won't start
                    I meant doing the ATX jumpstart on the board using a rocker switch.

Kinda like in this video,except you're supposed to turn it off through the rocker switch instead of front panel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYb7UaWip8w
                    Last edited by Dan81; 08-08-2014, 12:16 AM.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I think I have a similar problem with my ASUS CUR-DLS - sometimes it will boot fine, other times when I press the power button, the power LED turns ON, but then as soon as I release the power button, the motherboard turns OFF. Those are the cases where I have to press and hold the power button for a few seconds and then the motherboard might just turn ON. I have no idea what ASUS is doing with their motherboards, but I was never a fan of their designs.
                      Last edited by momaka; 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Last thing I did back in August, was put a CMOS battery having ~3V into it, but still couldn't get the thing to start, no matter how much cursing I used

So I left it until now, and it's again drained the CMOS battery but started without an issue

I replaced the CMOS battery and let it sit overnight, thinking it'd have a tantrum in the morning - but no, it still started without a problem

I recall someone here fixing a problem with CMOS batteries being drained, by replacing a transistor or FET that was stuck open

Can't find that thread, but if that person reads this, could you please pass some expertise my way

Comment

Working...
                        X