ASUS P5AD2 Premium Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS P5AD2 Premium Recap

Decided I wanted to set up a linux / test bench machine up and my P5AD2 is the best board I have around that I've got a vid card/memory, etc for.

Unfortunately the reason I stopped using it is the caps are in horrible shape almost to the last. Somehow it's still running (don't ask me how), but I need to recap the board completely.

Anyone have a list of the caps needed so I don't have to pull the system apart before I'm ready to pull the trigger?

Thanks gents.

Re: ASUS P5AD2 Premium Recap

Originally posted by Leetwanker
    Anyone have a list of the caps needed so I don't have to pull the system apart before I'm ready to pull the trigger?
    That's a good way to risk killing a perfectly functioning motherboard. Seriously, pull the plug now before those caps kill something else.

As for kits, I don't see anything in the BCN store kit section nor any threads mentioning what caps you specifically need to replace.

So, unfortunately for you, you will have do some work here to help us help you . Provide good focus pictures of the motherboard (that is, *your* motherboard, not a picture from the net).

If possible, also note down the, voltage, and capacitance info of all of the bigger caps around the CPU, NB and/or SB, and RAM area - those are the important ones. Ignore caps smaller than 470 uF for now - unless you see many small ones bulged too.
    Last edited by momaka; 01-02-2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Re: ASUS P5AD2 Premium Recap

List from my 3 - P5AD2-E boards several years ago. Total 51 caps of which I replaced 34 or 44. See *** below.

Listed this way:

Qty - uF - Volts - diameter (mm) - replaced with series - manufacturer

17 - 820 - 6.3 - 8 - HN - Nichicon
      2 - 470 -16 - 8 - HN - Nichicon
      13 - 100 - 16 - 5 - FR - Panasonic
      1 - 1500 - 6.3 - 8 - HZ - Nichicon
      1 - 330 - 6.3 - 6.3 - FM - Panasonic

NOT replaced:

2 - 680 - 6.3 - 10 - Fujitsu "Bumblebees"
      5 - 1000 - 16 - 8 - MBZ - Rubycon
      10 - 680 - 4 - 8x8 - FL - Matsushita (Panasonic) ***

*** These surround the CPU socket. On some versions, these are OST or Ltec and need replacement. You can not exceed height and width of 8x8. Use SEPC type here if needed. Poly caps by OS-CON (Sanyo).

T

PS: Does your board have the STACK COOL board on the underside of the CPU area? If so, your in for a bit of a challenge removing any caps there. Patience, flux, fresh solder, and at least a 45w iron with a 1/4" chisel tip. If all else fails, get some Chip Quik.
      Last edited by Toasty; 01-03-2015, 01:31 AM.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
      X