Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recapping Dell SX280

I have got a SX280 which 2 bulged caps which are

2200uf 6.3v which i am going to replace with Nichicon HM Series (http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/pro...sp?sku=2113081)

820uf 6.3v I can't seem to find a replacement whithin the UK. The best i have found is a panasonic FM series. Will this be OK? If not which would you use, but it must be available whithin the UK.

Thanks

Re: Recapping Dell SX280

Go with the HM if at all possible. IIRC those SX280s usually had Nichicon HN or Ruby MCZ. Even the HM will be a slight downgrade. The panny FM more so.

Alternatively, you could try poly-modding it (http://uk.farnell.com/nichicon/plg0j...-3v/dp/1580599).

Do you have any pictures of the board? Which caps are bulging?
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The ones i mensioned in the OP are the only ones which appear to be bulging.

It has Nichi HM for the 2200 6.3 which I would replace with the same caps again.

The 820 6.3v is a rubycon MBZ would a Rubycon ZLH be a good enough replacement.

Thanks

Comment

ZLH may not be good enough.

If you want, I can mail you some Nichicon HN 820uF 6.3v (8x11.5mm) and 2200uF 6.3v Nichicon HN (10x20mm) - I have my own personal stock here.

0.5$ for 820uF ones, 0.75$ for the 2200uF ones and 2$ for the postage, should reach you in UK before the end of next week if you want them. Probably have around 10-15 pieces of each of these.
        Last edited by mariushm; 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Would these "Rubycon 820uf 6.3v MCZ series Capacitors Pack of five" be OK to replace the Rubycon MBZ?

c hegge you where correct about the MCZ caps there are some on the VRM side of the board.

Comment

^
            Where is that "Rubycon 820uf 6.3v MCZ series Capacitors Pack of five" Coming from?

If they are genuine Ruby MCZs, then yes, they will work fine in place of the MBZs, but most suppliers of genuine parts don't sell them in packs.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

They where off ebay "http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubycon-820uf-6-3v-MCZ-series-Capacitors-Pack-of-five-/320781738888?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab014e388"

He has good feedback so i would assume they are genuine.

Comment

Ordered the replacement caps now.

Nichicon 2200uf 6.3v Pack of 5 105°C Low ESR HM Series

Rubycon 820uf 6.3v MCZ series Capacitors Pack of five

Comment

The feedback is never a good indication, but from the pics, those caps do look genuine. I can't see the vent stamps, though. Just make sure when you get them that they have the rubycon "K" vent

Comment

you do realize I have a kit for this board, and will ship to the UK.....

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=12
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      you do realize I have a kit for this board, and will ship to the UK.....

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=12
                      I did see that but the unit cost me £10 so don't want to spend alot on it.

Its only going to be a HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        The feedback is never a good indication, but from the pics, those caps do look genuine. I can't see the vent stamps, though. Just make sure when you get them that they have the rubycon "K" vent
                        Do the Nichicons look genuine? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207390203...84.m1439.l2648

What should the vent stamp look like?

Thanks
                        Last edited by jamesfreddie; 08-31-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          The feedback is never a good indication, but from the pics, those caps do look genuine.
                          I agree. Feedback is not always a good indication if something is real or fake. Many people who buy capacitors off ebay just don't have the knowledge to tell if it is real or fake. To them as long as it works now, they leave positive feedback. No one is going to come back 1 year later when the caps fail to write a follow-up.

Sellers can also use a picture of the "real thing" and then always ship out counterfeits. Your average cap buyer will probably not know the difference or check the vent, font, bung and date code. Needless to say, the average buyer has no ESR meter.

Some sellers purposely do not show the vent or bung to hide details away from experienced/knowledgable people.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by jamesfreddie View Post
                            I did see that but the unit cost me £10 so don't want to spend alot on it.

Its only going to be a HTPC.
                            ...so then buy the individual caps you need...so nice of you to support the site....

so you come here in search of something I stock....but instead you spam us with questions about known ebay junk, and a quick search here would have told you quick that most caps on ebay are fakes and not to waste your time. If you dont want to buy from Badcaps.net, fine....but just do yourself a favor, read the stickies, and buy from a reliable UK vendor in our list of known reputable ones and forget you ever saw the cheap garbage on ebay.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

You're right.

I already offered to send him the capacitor he needs at the same price he'd find at Digikey or Farnell, and with minimal postage costs ... yet he's still stuck on using eBay and sellers with whom he has no relation.

Well, I guess he'll learn a valuable lesson if the stuff he receives turns out to be fake.

Comment

All the replacement caps arrived today and they look genuine.

The Rubycons have the K printed in the top.

Just installing Win 7 on it now. Hopefully it all goes well.

Comment

Hello, I too had a Dell SX280 with bad caps. I just replaced 4 of them and the PC boots again, so that's good. I'm wondering if I have additional caps that should be replaced?

-- 6.3v 2200uF, red lettering says 49IIITW, has a letter M in a square
                                  -- 6.3v 1800uF, red lettering says 48IIWY
                                  -- 6.3v 150uF, A425
                                  -- 6.3v 820uF, Rubycon MBZ T0419
                                  -- 16v 220uF, Nichicon VR(M) B0435
                                  -- 16v 1500uF, Nichicon HN(M) H0431
                                  -- 16v 1000uF, KZG 49 B(3) (these are maroon colored)
                                  -- 25v 22, has a letter R in a square, also says ZA with A0429

FWIW, this SX280 was manufactured some time in 2004. Thank you kindly in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by badsx280 View Post
                                    -- 6.3v 2200uF, red lettering says 49IIITW, has a letter M in a square
                                    -- 6.3v 1800uF, red lettering says 48IIWY
                                    -- 6.3v 150uF, A425
                                    -- 6.3v 820uF, Rubycon MBZ T0419
                                    -- 16v 220uF, Nichicon VR(M) B0435
                                    -- 16v 1500uF, Nichicon HN(M) H0431
                                    -- 16v 1000uF, KZG 49 B(3) (these are maroon colored)

-- 25v 22, has a letter R in a square, also says ZA with A0429
                                    Only the caps highlighted in red might give you a problem in the future.

The brown KZG are made by Chemicon. Chemicon is a Japanese caps that makes very reliable caps. However, their KZG and KZJ series are just not good and do go bad quite often.

Nichicon is another reputable Japanese company. However, they had a problem with their HN and HM series between 2001 and 2004 so any on their HM and HN caps with date code "H01xx" (where "xx" can be any number) to "H04xx" is affected.

The ones with the letter "M" with curved-in legs that's in a square are actually made by Panasonic. Those are very very reliable caps.

Comment

Working...
                                    X