Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone running SSD's yet?

I recently had an AMAZINGLY fucked up time with a SSD just a few days ago

customer had bad sectors appearing on her old drive, lock ups and wait times, took the computer home, it was seagate going bad (seatool confirmed it with basic test)

Had to get a new drive for this system (HP /w Phenom II X4 8xx series). Frys had a 860 Pro 512GB for $149 (also had a 1TB on sale for $199! but I didn't take it, they weren't using much space, mainly used the computer for email (outlook) and facebook (chrome). Win10 upgrade

Installed Win10 fresh from flash drive. Used windows built-in driver finder on the ahci controller (update driver button) an it installed as I expected the usual "AMD SATA Controller". Driver from 2010. This is when problems started. It seems with this motherboard (AMD 785G/SB 700), loading the driver on an SSD will cause a bus "reset", or in other words, cause windows and programs to freeze for 20 seconds, every minute or so. So I tried an even more updated driver (2013). When I tried to load it, it failed saying "invalid data". Well damn, ok, so I tried to reinstall the original generic ahci driver. Same thing, "invalid data". Deleted the driver. Booted back with it (after this I attempted to restore the original generic ahci driver...invalid data). Set a restore point and set to "delete the driver". I've had windows 7 in the past boot to generic doing this. But it didn't work. Took a few seconds of the wheel to get the dreaded "invalid_boot_device". Booted to USB win 10 installed to go back to a restore point I specifically set before doing this. Unable to set restore point. Hooked the ssd up to my other system to try to copy the "regback" registry files....they were all 0b. aaaand fuck

wiped and re-installed win-10, this time installing with the latest sb700 driver from amd (2017)....Same fucking lockups.

But this time, It let me go back to the generic driver and work flawlessly. Only a little slower than the AMD driver on boot. Still very fast.

I think this system was not built for the kind of SSD bandwidth this thing put out, and having so much over. The error I was getting in windows logs was "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." Even though there was no raid enabled, I think this bandwidth confused amd's driver and the bios (which I updated to latest when this first started happening) thinks there is something wrong. I researched this and tried all kinds of power stuff but pretty much all of what I saw didn't relate to this chipset. Or even win10

How I know. When I got the 2017 driver in, it actually locked up much less, but I used the speed tester with the samsung magician software and thats exactly when it started resetting, when it bus was seriously full.

I don't think it's a win10 issue. I think it's a motherboard bios issue in the end. Win10 works great from a fresh install. It's what they've been using since the free upgrade offer
    Last edited by Uranium-235; 11-16-2018, 01:51 AM.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Re: Anyone running SSD's yet?

hp system huh? im just going to put it down to oem bios weirdness causing all sorts of strange fockups. guess the too new and modern ssd isnt compatible with the hp system...

have u tried swapping the sata cable tho? i had a bad/dodgy sata cable causing data transfer errors during high disk throughput. if the sata cable quality is dodgy, it can cause udma crc errors and sata link resets during heavy disk io throughput if the controller detects too many data transfer io errors.

Comment

Working...
      X