Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard help

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone would have some input on keyboards. I've been using budget keyboards all my life, but they've started wearing down a lot faster than what I'm willing to keep paying (the last one died within 3 months).

I went and googled around, looked for lists of keyboards that are decent and affordable. I found this site: http://www.yourgamingsetup.com/7-bes...ard-under-100/.

My question is which of the keyboards here would be the most "bang for my buck" as people would say? I'm looking at the Razer because it really looks nice and I know it's a well-known keyboard, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Keyboard help

Because they use the word "gaming" in the name they aren't always better quality. I have a lower range Cherry Keyboard for gaming withought leds and it has been working great for seven years and there's no sing of wear on the keys.
    I also have mechanical keyboards and they are usually reliable but are more expensive and you have to like the noise they do.
    Is a mather of tastes and very dificult to recomend.

Comment

just dont install any "drivers" that come with some.
      they are just spyware!

Comment

Corsair keyboards are pretty robust, even the entry level priced ones, I've used one for some time now, a Raptor K40. Other than occasionally cleaning it and putting a little silicone lube on the odd sticky key it's been perfect.

Comment

I would recommend the IBM KB 9900 with multimedia interface , which i've used since like 20 years and expecting another 100 years , lol , but I think it's probably the last one in its specie . A one of a kind of robust monster . But Even IBM or sites related and specific to IBM keyboards do not mention it , they don't have any picture even . I would appreciate if someone here has its picture and upload .

Maybe I'll sell it as antics one day

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely be looking into some of these models. I realize that gaming keyboards don't necessarily mean they're premium products and that most of the time they more premium in price than quality (lol), but I like the glooooow the amazing glow.

Anyway, thanks again! I will probably get a corsair since I am hearing a lot of people talking about how strong the build quality is.

@Jiroy, don't sell it. Keep it as a memory!

Comment

Curiosity - how are keyboards breaking?

I've never had one "break" yet except via spills, and even then they have been recovered. I have one keyboard ("cheapo" Logitech integrated desktop with wireless mouse - I think it was on closeout when I bought it) I've used for almost a decade now IIRC, it still works just fine - except most of the qwerty section key legends have been rubbed off from the extensive use... Some of the keys have started to wear past the paint and developing artificial bumps.

Most of my disposed keyboards are because I despise the layout. I only pretty much keep keyboards that have the IBM Model M layout (which I have one of, too)...

Comment

BTW, after using low travel keyboards (including the plastic capped chiclet/island keyboard) these are fairly fragile; I've got two laptop keyboards with broken keys. One I repaired with a bit of epoxy, other one is missing the cap. So it was a lie; however the discrete full travel non-island keyboards for desktops, I've not had a failure yet.

Comment

I don't know friends , but when I used to play Driver or Motocross (some 15 years ago ) , I was always the winner and others breaking their ones , lol .. Not all keyboards take easily two commands at the same time like this non clicking kb 9900 , trust me on this . Whom are Driver Professionals will understand what i'm talking about .. Drifting .
                  No way a label can disappear or blur on this one .. They probably made it from another planet materials , lol ..

One day , I had this idea of bugging and nagging at IBM to make a W7 64 Bit driver for the Multimedia interface , since Help now opens the Calculator
                  but , no response .. Can't blame them anyway

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    Curiosity - how are keyboards breaking?
                    Well, they can break because of this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...006#post692006

More seriously though my Corsair keyboard that I mention in that post.
                    It started developing this super annoying "double letter" thing: meaning I'd press "D" once but get: "DD"
                    I got a new replacement keyboard from the place of purchase last week though so that was nice.
                    Especially so since it was a very random and intermittent issue (making it all the more annoying!)
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Maybe it also depends on they availability on your zone, because I never saw a corsair keyboard, Logitech is the brand around here, and for "gaming" I saw a lot of Gigabyte keyboards, but never saw one failing, and Cherry is the premium brand I saw most.

Comment

i have had some real shit in the past,
                        i learned it's better to spend the same amount on a used professional keyboard and build an adapter to use it.
                        my fav is SUN Type-5
                        but i will give 2 warnings:
                        1: they are BIG
                        2: they use a non-standard interface so you need to build a ps2 or USB adapter.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by stj; 01-27-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          i learned it's better to spend the same amount on a used professional keyboard and build an adapter to use it.
                          my fav is SUN Type-5
                          but i will give 2 warnings:
                          1: they are BIG
                          2: they use a non-standard interface so you need to build a ps2 or USB adapter.
                          I 100% agree with that.
                          I've bought an IBM model M for 1 euro It does not have the cord but, it smells quality in every corner, even it's weight says something...
                          But they are not fancy gaming keyboards with leds, so they may not be an option for hannah.

Comment

Lucky bastard for getting an M for €1 ... I need a keycap for one of my M's...

I just cant type without the M layout when it comes to \ and backspace. The M has been around since 1986, it doesn't have the F-keys along the side like the Sun keyboards or the older IBM keyboards (both XT and original AT had F-keys on side; oddly enough, I forgot that the original AT keyboard did not have F11/F12...)

Comment

atually there are a number of "M" versions - atleast 2 do have lots of extra keys.

Comment

Hmmm, I don't think I can make any recommendations. All of my keyboards are old, used PS/2 affair. If I need USB, I just use those PS/2 to USB converters. However, I simply CANNOT stand the shallow keystroke depth of modern keyboards. The only keyboards that piss me off more are the ones with shallow keystrokes *and* flat keys - I can't type worth a shit on those.

Some of my co-workers last year thought I was over-reacting about the crap quality of modern keyboards. I found this nice-looking gaming keyboard at work that wasn't used and I decided to replace the cheapo USB keyboard on my desk. Within a week, I switched back. I couldn't stand how flat the keys were. And the shallow stroke depth made it very easy to rest my fingers on the keyboard and press keys accidentally. Then one of my co-workers borrowed it, because the keyboard looked nice and had LEDs and whatnot... but he returned it to my desk within the hour - said he could not type at all on it. Then someone else borrowed it, and the same thing happened.

So let's be honest - no one can type well on flat keyboards.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                Most of my disposed keyboards are because I despise the layout. I only pretty much keep keyboards that have the IBM Model M layout (which I have one of, too)...
                                I keep all keyboards, but personal use, I am with you on the IBM Model M layout: I can't stand keyboards with a small bastardized Backspace key. I've also seen a few odd ones keep the Backspace key full size, but then shrunk the right Shift key and put the "backslash" next to it in order to make the Enter key big. Then there are all those keyboards with the 3 extra Power/Sleep keys above Insert/Home/PG_UP, which makes the Delete/End/PG_DN keys one row lower - that messes me up quite a bit as well, because I use the Delete, Home, and End keys VERY often when typing.

So far, one keyboard that I have found that I really like is the Dell QuietKey model RT7d5jtw - both in terms of layout, keystroke depth, and keystroke feel. They are also pretty damn reliable. Note that the beige Dell QuietKey keyboards are made by several different manufacturers. The RT7d5jtw model is just one. I think another good model(s) is the one that starts with "SK-" and then followed by a number - those are just as good, in fact.

Originally posted by jiroy
                                I would recommend the IBM KB 9900 with multimedia interface , which i've used since like 20 years and expecting another 100 years , lol , but I think it's probably the last one in its specie . A one of a kind of robust monster .
                                My Logitech SK-720 / Y-SA2 is about the same age as yours - we got it back in 1999 with our first personal computer (before that, my mom had desktop work computers issued from her job). And guess what, I still use it today, along with its companion mouse: a Logitech M-S34. The mouse has needed quite a few surgeries on its left button, but overall it can take a lot of abuse between "service intervals".

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                I don't know friends , but when I used to play Driver or Motocross (some 15 years ago ) , I was always the winner and others breaking their ones , lol .. Not all keyboards take easily two commands at the same time like this non clicking kb 9900 , trust me on this . Whom are Driver Professionals will understand what i'm talking about .. Drifting .
                                ^ This

I absolutely despised cheap keyboards that couldn't take more than 2 keystrokes at once when I was a kid (well, I still do!) In driving games, I couldn't shift gears if I was turning and accelerating.

Then one time, my cousin and I tried to race together on Need For Speed High Stakes with the option of a split-screen (i.e. race against each other on the same PC). Boy, was that funny to see! If one person was steering and accelerating/braking, the other person could not do anything with his car. The best thing we could do is drive in a straight line together. It was more of a challenge who would crash the least instead of who would win the race.

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                                No way a label can disappear or blur on this one .. They probably made it from another planet materials , lol ..
                                Yup, that's the Dell QuietKey keyboards I mentioned above - they have laser-engraved print on the keys. Only once you wear the plastic on the key down to the engraved surface, then the print starts wearing off. Now *that* is quality!

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                More seriously though my Corsair keyboard that I mention in that post.
                                It started developing this super annoying "double letter" thing: meaning I'd press "D" once but get: "DD"
                                Or maybe your keyboard learned what kind of women/pr0n you liked better.

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                +1

On that note, the easiest route is to probably get a bunch of quality old PS/2 keyboards and use a PS/2 to USB adapter.

If you're afraid of getting old used keyboards because they are dirty, have no fear: old keyboards can be easily taken apart and the top part (keys) washed. I did that with all of mine and they look pretty much brand new (aside from the key wear on some of them).
                                Last edited by momaka; 02-05-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X