Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Yeah I still can't stop singing the praises of mint 17, i put it on a hp mini at work with 1gb ram and a atom n270 1.6ghz, actually even played youtube okay, wasn't smoothest experience I guess you could call it peppy.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      "Microsoft originally had its own Unix called Xenix which was later sold to SCO (Santa Cruz Operation)."

Microsoft bought Xenix from AT&T and later sold it to SCO.
      Wrong, Microsoft "licensed" version 7 Unix from AT&T in 1979, they did not buy Xenix from AT&T.

Xenix was a version of AT&T UNIX, ported and packaged by Microsoft.
      Xenix was Microsoft's version of Unix intended for use on microcomputers; since Microsoft was not able to license the "UNIX" name itself, they gave it an original name.

It was first offered for sale to the public in the August 25, 1980 issue of Computerworld that it would be made available for the 16-bit microcomputer market . It was originally priced between $2000 and $9000 per copy, depending on the number of users. The initial port of Xenix to the Intel 8086/8088 architecture was performed by The Santa Cruz Operation.

MS owned the Xenix trademark and had a master UNIX license with AT&T, which allowed them to sub-license Xenix to other vendors.

Xenix varied from its 7th Edition origins by incorporating elements from BSD, and soon (for a time) possessed the most widely installed base of any Unix flavor due to the popularity of the inexpensive x86 processor.

Microsoft did not sell Xenix directly to end users; instead, they licensed it to software OEMs such as Intel, Tandy, Altos and SCO, who then ported it to their own proprietary computer architectures. Microsoft Xenix originally ran on the PDP-11; the first port was for the Zilog Z8001 16-bit processor. Altos shipped a version for their Intel 8086 based computers early in 1982, Tandy Corporation shipped TRS-XENIX for their 68000-based systems in January 1983, and SCO released their port to the IBM PC in September 1983. A port to the 68000-based Apple Lisa also existed. At the time, Xenix was based on AT&T's UNIX System III.

Xenix was licensed by a variety of OEMs, and then either bundled with their hardware or sold as an optional extra. Ports were available for a variety of different architectures, including the Z-8000, Motorola 68000, NS16032, and various Intel processors.

In 1983, IBM contracted with Microsoft to port Xenix to their forthcoming 80286-based machines (codenamed “Salmon”); the result was “IBM Personal Computer XENIX” for the PC/AT.

By this time, there was growing retail demand for Xenix on IBM-compatible personal computer hardware, but Microsoft made the strategic decision not to sell Xenix in the consumer market; instead, they entered into an agreement with a company called the Santa Cruz Operation to package, sell and support Xenix for those customers.

Even with outsourcing retail development to SCO, Microsoft was still putting significant effort into Xenix:

Ports to new architectures, the large majority of the core kernel and driver work, and extensive custom tool development were all done by Microsoft. By the time of the Intel releases, there was significant kernel divergence from the original AT&T code.

The main Microsoft development products (C compiler, assembler, linker, debugger) were included with the Intel-based releases of Xenix, and there were custom internally-developed toolchains for other architectures. Often, the latest version of the tools appeared on Xenix well before they were available on DOS.

The character-oriented versions of Microsoft Word and Multiplan were both ported to Xenix.

MS had a dedicated Xenix documentation team, which produced custom manuals and tutorials.

Version 2.0 of Xenix was released in 1985 and was based on UNIX System V. An update numbered 2.1.1 added support for the Intel 80286 processor. The Sperry PC/IT, an IBM PC AT clone, was advertised as capable of supporting eight users under this version. Subsequent releases improved System V compatibility.

As late as the beginning of 1985, there was some debate inside of Microsoft whether Xenix should be the 16-bit “successor” to DOS; for a variety of reasons – mostly having to do with licensing, royalties, and ownership of the code, but also involving a certain amount of ego and politics – MS and IBM decided to pursue OS/2 instead. That marked the end of any further Xenix investment at Microsoft, and the group was left to slowly atrophy.

In 1987, SCO ported Xenix to the 386 processor, a 32-bit chip. Xenix 2.3.1 introduced support for i386, SCSI and TCP/IP. SCO's Xenix System V/386 was the first 32-bit operating system available on the market for the x86 CPU Architecture.

The final Xenix work at Microsoft was an effort with AT&T to integrate Xenix support into the main System V.3 source code, producing what we unimaginatively called the “Merged Product” (noted by the official name of “UNIX System V, r3.2”.

Once that effort was completed, all Intel-based releases of UNIX from AT&T incorporated Xenix support; in return, Microsoft received royalties for every copy of Intel UNIX that AT&T subsequently licensed.

It will suffice, perhaps, to simply note that this was a good deal for Microsoft.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Almighty1; 10-03-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/blo...dows-use-unix/

Comment

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

It would be intersting to see someone create an entirely new OS for PCs.
            Last edited by SteveNielsen; 10-04-2014, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Would be more interesting if someone made a new OS that was rock solid in stability and can run apps for any existing OS out there.

Comment

I've read that this version will drop floppy drive support (even from USB drives) - but Arduino could come to the rescue here.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

^
                  About time they dropped it. FDDs needed to die long ago.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Even though i was still using a floppy drive 2 years ago, i agree. It's too old, too slow and too unreliable. Good riddance.

Nowadays it is extremely easy to create a bootable USB flash drive for DOS or Linux or whatever else, so floppies are simply not needed anymore.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

A friend of mine said that they were so embarrassed with Windows 8 that they just skip Windows 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        Even though i was still using a floppy drive 2 years ago, i agree. It's too old, too slow and too unreliable.
                        Ironically cheap flash drives are also slow and unreliable...
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          ^
                          about time they dropped it. Fdds needed to die long ago.
                          qft!
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

How about fixing the problems with 8.1 first? Half the users, including myself, are still having internet issues. I dream of the day when I can permanently switch to Ubuntu. Sadly, at this point, there are still things I need which only run on windows.
                            ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                              A friend of mine said that they were so embarrassed with Windows 8 that they just skip Windows 9.
                              Windows NEIN

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with floppies? I still use them for BIOS flashes and such. A lot easier than making a boot CD or a boot flash drive. I've found that formatting flash drives drastically reduces the write performance.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                  How about fixing the problems with 8.1 first? Half the users, including myself, are still having internet issues. I dream of the day when I can permanently switch to Ubuntu. Sadly, at this point, there are still things I need which only run on windows.
                                  I'll tentatively suggest WINE although I'm guessing you want to run things that need direct hardware access etc.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  Hey, what's wrong with floppies? I still use them for BIOS flashes and such. A lot easier than making a boot CD or a boot flash drive. I've found that formatting flash drives drastically reduces the write performance.
                                  I like floppies too. But formatting a flash drive shouldn't slow it down, unless the formatter did some thing weird with sector size or something.
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                    I like floppies too. But formatting a flash drive shouldn't slow it down, unless the formatter did some thing weird with sector size or something.
                                    No, this is a known phenomenon when re-creating partition tables on USB drives. The manufacturers put some sort of custom variables, and if they're reset, the drive writes very slowly. Some manufacturers even offer a utility to reset the partition tables to stock which solves the problem.

It's possible to insert a MBR to the stick without a complete re-format, but the whole idea of possibly damaging the stick in the aforementioned manner just makes the whole thing risky. And if I had to keep-re-formatting USB sticks, I'd just as well use a portable floppy with disposable disks. I picked up like 100 disks for a dollar a garage sale some years ago.

Now I need to find a low-level floppy formatting utility that isn't 16-bit. The previous one I used won't work in Win x64.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                      Now I need to find a low-level floppy formatting utility that isn't 16-bit. The previous one I used won't work in Win x64.
                                      Here you go: http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/29...in-Windows-x64
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                        I'll tentatively suggest WINE....
                                        I'd need something far stronger than wine for me to forget how much I hate Windows 8/8.1.
                                        ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                          I'd need something far stronger than wine for me to forget how much I hate Windows 8/8.1.
                                          But you know what I mean, right? https://www.winehq.org/
                                          Doesn't work for everything, and likely won't work for anything that needs direct serial, parallel and USB hardware access, but it's still pretty good though...
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X