No announcement yet.

A Lesson In How To Recap Profesionally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Lesson In How To Recap Profesionally.

Oh dear Lord, this is so ugly to say the least.
    I don't claim to be an export in soldering technique, but damn dude.
    I think he did not use flux and couldn't get the solder to flow so he used butane torch thinking “oh, it just need all little more heat”.
    I'm sorry for rude comments, but some people need to do basic research on soldering before messing with soldering equipment.

Comment

I wouldn't consider a blow torch soldering equipment unless you're working with copper pipe .
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I didn't say that blow torch is considered soldering equipment? Did I?
        I sad he does not have a clue on how to use soldering equipment and flux that is why he needed a blow torch to "GET MORE HEAT" thiking it would aid in solder flow.
        Last edited by User; 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by User
          Oh dear Lord, this is so ugly to say the least.
          I don't claim to be an export in soldering technique, but damn dude.
          I think he did not use flux and couldn't get the solder to flow so he used butane torch thinking “oh, it just need all little more heat”.
          I'm sorry for rude comments, but some people need to do basic research on soldering before messing with soldering equipment.
          that reminds me of a situation i was in a while back. We were putting a new faucet assembly in for the shower/bathtub and the pieces/fittings had to be soldered into place. I had someone come over to help me and I asked if he knew how to solder pipes. he said yes and then asked where the soldering gun was. Im like huh?? Ended up finding out that he thought flux was something that you put on after you soldered to give a second layer of protection to make it water tight. He did not even know that flux was used to clean.. I took the stuff and said i would do it myself. Considering the bathroom was on the second floor, i did not need the mess... if you know what i mean..

Comment

Imho Fail!!!!!!!
            Real Bad Soldering Skills!

Comment

I don't think the word skill was even anywhere near that guy when he did this LOL

Comment

Originally posted by hardwareguy View Post
                I learned to solder when I was 9.... I built speakers from cheap Radio Shack 5" full range drivers and plywood with dad.

Initially my joints were HUGE, sloppy and I had no concept of cleaning flux off of anything. Tinning the leads happened by accident because I used solder like I used hot glue but at least I didn't fry my speakers or melt the leads too much.

So you can tell him that his "IT guy" got beat by a 9 year old kid.
                I built my first power supply when I was 12. The 5 volt one from "Building Power Supplies" by David Lines. Got that book from radioshack when they were still worth something. Still have it, too. Its original Nichicon filter cap is fine

Ya liked building speakers as a kid, like me, hardwareguy? How many times were you told to turn it down?

Why the hell would that 'IT guy' open the PS and check the caps? He probably buys antec's "it's normal for the ripple to exceed spec after a year" bullshit. Just the person NOT to ask "can you fix my 'puter."

-Paul
                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                Originally posted by shango066
                All style and no substance.
                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

All I can say is damn. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but usually it's on a dead board............

Comment

Well, you have to give the guy credit for the fact that he tried to use solder, rather than glue, or squashing the bulging capacitors down flat again.

Still, those photos make me cringe...
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      or squashing the bulging capacitors down flat again.
                      That doesn't work? oopsie...
                      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

This thread always gets me every time it resurfaces. However, I showed Mom the photos (and she does not even do electrical work!) and her response was "That's horrible."

Showed my sister after that. On the first and second photos: "What did he use to fix this, a flamethrower or something?" On the third photo: "It looks like a forest where all the tress were burnt down." Priceless.
                        Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                        I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                          Well, you have to give the guy credit for the fact that he tried to use solder, rather than glue
                          That would be funny if it weren't true.

Years ago, this knucklehead in school assured me that he could connect wires with Elmer's glue. Another kid and I made 'flashlights' out of bulbs, wire and two D-cells. Those two worked. The 'wannabe' thought he could 'invent' a new method of connecting the wires. He promised he'd have it done over the weekend.

Well, Monday came and no third flashlight. Maybe if he used conductive glue!
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                          Originally posted by shango066
                          All style and no substance.
                          Originally posted by smashstuff30
                          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Haha, what a Although I did say it because I know people have tried it.

Also I recall one of 'The serviceman' articles in EA detailed someone who had reconnected wires in a tape deck back together.. by tying them together.... in knots... and without removing the insulation first...
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Just saw this thread for the first time. You guys just ain't as old as me.
                              He cleary used a Black Beauty 500 Watt iron. A 400W would have been enough.

Comment

Haha this thread made me lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X