X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 500S

F.Y.I.

Just adding to the fray...

Uses an Intel 865GLC motherboard. Will try to get pictures of the bad capacitors in the next day or two. Called Gateway and the front-line techs don't know anything about bad capacitors on motherboards. Shown have pointed them over here. They said they would be calling back in 24 to 48 hours to let me know what they are doing to do about this. The unit was out of warranty on 8/29/06.

Re: Gateway 500S

you can send them this link
    http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...tes/193414.htm
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanx, willawake!

Comment

What are the brands/series of the failed caps on the Gateway - the usual Nichicon HN/HM or are there are some NCC KZGs also in the mix?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
          What are the brands/series of the failed caps on the Gateway - the usual Nichicon HN/HM or are there are some NCC KZGs also in the mix?
          I'll check that out when I get home after work.

Comment

Black and gold. Marked with HN(W) on the side. It's still in the case and there are other capacitors right next to these, so it's hard to see a brand. So, probably Nichicon HN/HM?

Comment

Yup - HN(M). If you look carefully, you'll notice that the text on these caps is smudged (at least in comparison to other Nichicon series). There's some speculation that manufacture of these caps was outsourced by Nichicon to some other firm, probably Nichicon subsidiary Taicon.

If you have to have them recapped, good substitutes are Rubycon MBZ/MCZ, Panasonic FK/FM, Nichicon HZ or Samxon GC/GD.
              Last edited by linuxguru; 11-17-2006, 11:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
              X