Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM Netvista 6266 N3A with bad caps !!

Hello All,

I have an IBM Netvista 6266 series model N3A with Pentium III 800EB CPU, Intel 810E chipset and 64Mb RAM it always seems to crash with BSODs on bootup or after windows 98 starts.

Installing windows 98 is a pain on it as it always fails somehow.

Well, i had received this computer from a friend after he said it had no video on bootup and also was freezing up at certain times. Luckily i saved it just before it went into his garbage bin.
    Well, i opened it up at home only to find that it had Chhsi caps inside it, and 2 caps around the CPU were bulging and also 1 cap next to the RAM sockets was bulging.

The caps around the CPU say 1500uf 10V Chhsi WG (M), -40 +105 , the caps in the middle of the board look fine but as they are Chhsi, im guessing they are dead too, they are 1000uf 6.3V Chhsi WG (M), same with the RAM socket cap.

I inspected the FETs and they look fine, nothing smells bad, unless they are caps of course.
    I then spotted 2 100uf 10V Tayeh caps around the Serial ports and 2 Teapo 1500uf 10V caps next to a coil. They still look good and dont smell bad at all.

My main question is that i have bought some Hitano caps from Wagner components. Unfortunately i live in Sydney, Australia and RS components wont sell me the Panasonic FCs unless im a trader.
    The Hitano caps are EXR series. The 1500uf are correct size and length and best of all, Low ESR. Same goes for 1000uf caps, but they are 10V and 10MM wide instead of 8MM. I bought more than enough caps, 8X 1500uf 10V and 6x 1000uf 10V, which caps should i replace, i really dont want those green Teapos to go, they still look good?
    Also is my Weller Soldering station powerful enough? it is 60W and grounded with a fine tip..... unfortunately it is quite old from April 1989 to be exact.

Ill try to attach pics one day ..... the server returned some error to do with HTTP?

Thank You
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: IBM Netvista 6266 N3A with bad caps !!

Replace all Tayeh and Chhsi - they're crap. Teapo is better than those two, but it can fail quietly without bulging, so it's best to replace the Teapos as well at one shot.

Comment

Thanks Linuxguru, ive just recapped the motherboard and it actually boots!!!!
      My first recapping is actually successful. I replaced all the Chhsi caps i didnt have time to replace the Tayeh or Teapo.... i'll get to them one day. It was a hell of a job, taking 6 hours!!.... most likely because i didnt have a solder sucker or a dentists pick.... i just " poked" the new cap through while heating the old solder hole.... but nonetheless.... it works again. Ran 98 and is hard as rock.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Ok, now it's 1.21AM.... I just finished re- recapping this board. I had to fix all the solder joints.... This was the first mainboard i did so there were a lot of cold solder joints.... but they have all been fixed.
        I'll upload photos when I get up in the morning. Now I have 8 Hitano EXR caps on the board, 1 Chhsi 470uf and 2 Teapo 1500uf. The board has run solid since the previous recap job.... and even after fixing the joints.... it still runs great.... in fact i'm posting this on it now.
        I think this IBM Netvista has an MSI motherboard.... The model on the board is MS-6188 VER: 3.... I think the MS is for MSI models because i once had an MSI motherboard and it had MS- in the model.

Comment

You are correct in your assumption, MSI marks their boards with the preceding MS prefix

Here's a link to MSI's product page for that FlexATX motherboard HERE
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
          X