MS-6340 v1 - really weird problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS-6340 v1 - really weird problem

I have a MSI MS-6340 v1 board with a really weird problem. When powered up, it works fine. After a couple of minutes, it starts to do silly things - characters displayed at wrong place in text mode, crashing, hangs, then it sometimes hangs before POST. When powered down for some time, it cools down and works again for a while. Never seen this before. Checked CPU and chipset voltages and they're OK.
    I guess that this is not capacitor problem. The board has 6 big 3900uF/10V Yageo caps and although there are some smaller craps - one 2700uF/6.3V Tayeh, six 1000uF/6.3V Chsi - they all look fine.

Re: MS-6340 v1 - really weird problem

Check for ripple on the voltages, too.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I would if I had an oscilloscope

Comment

What buck controller does it have? I have a socket A MSI mATX (don't remember the exact model number and can't check it right now) that had SC1155 and was unstable and did all kinds on weird things.

Comment

SC1155CSW... Maybe adding some ceramic and tantalum caps will help. Looks like I really need an oscilloscope
          I've read somewhere that many of these boards have stability problems - maybe not only from bad caps but also from this.

Comment

Does the buck controller get hot? Mine got hot when the board crashed. I read in some kind of Russian message board that replacing the inductors would help... But there were no values given or something.

Comment

Don't remember if it gets hot but letting fan blow on the board make it run a bit better.
              Yes, the inductor looks really weird - never seen anything big like that on any other board (the caps are huge too).

Comment

All I did was replace the 2700uF-6.3v cap and now it runs fine

Comment

I've already replaced that Tayeh (only one on the board) but it didn't help at all so I put it back.

Comment

Knowing that those SMD 10uF/16V caps go bad on MSI boards, I checked them on this one too. ALL of them were bad, of course - ESR at least 100 ohms, some completely open (>300). I replaced them all and also all 1000uF Chhsi caps, one 100uF and one Tayeh 2700uF. And guess what? No change!

Comment

Working...
                    X