Replaced caps but monitor doesn't come on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced caps but monitor doesn't come on

I just replaced three caps on a Dell GX270 motherboard but when I put it back in and turned it on the monitor doesn't engage. The computer boots from what I can tell, with the hard drive light looking like it is running through the start up process but no monitor. Was wondering if another cap might be bad that I could tell was bad and didn't replace. Also since this was my first attempt at soldering a motherboard I may have gotten her too hot and burned a circuit near one of the caps that I changed.... Is there any tests or process where I can tell what I might have done or is this motherboard basically just toast? Thought since these boards had such a problem with caps that someone might know quite a lot about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Replaced caps but monitor doesn't come on

If you notice hard drive activity (other than the normal POST process), the odds are you didn't do permanent damage. I'm not familiar with this motherboard, so some of my suggestions may not apply.

The first step is to double check ribbon cables, the monitor, video board, etc. You wouldn't be the first guy to hook up a ribbon cable wrong.

Next, I'd suggest using a good magnifier and looking over the area around the caps you replaced. Look for solder splashes, solder 'bridges', and damaged traces.

If that still doesn't fix the problem I'd suggest taking this discussion to the forum area dedicated to motherboard repair!

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Re: Replaced caps but monitor doesn't come on

Thanks Bill
      I did two other boards afterward and they worked fine. I will get back on this one probably over he weekend and see if there is any hope. I could see a small spot on the board where I got a little hot with the solder iron. Thought I might have burned a circuit or maybe didn't get a good solder joint connection on one of the caps.... I'll look it over and try posting on the motherboard repair board as you suggest. Thanks again Ed

Comment

Working...
      X