Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new laptop, recomendations?

Hi

Im in the process of buying myself a new laptop but ive had big problems finding anything that matches my criteria. So i was hoping someone would have a few suggestions on brands and/or models that might fit.

First of all i want a gaming capable laptop, screensize should be somewhere around 14" or smaller and the resolution should be somewhat high. Most laptops with small screens have really crappy resolution.

And lastly, what brands build something that really lasts and is not built to blow up after a certain time? Do they even exist anymore?

Re: Buying new laptop, recomendations?

Check out Alienware

Comment

which is just a dell......... with a premium price tag of course.

Comment

avoid HP, Acer, Toshiba, ASUS.

They will either die on you, break on you or they will screw you.

Dells are kind of "alright." Dell own alienware therefore alienware is kind of "alright."

Sonys are decent since I don't seem to get them that often for repair, maybe for software work.

I have no idea about IBMs Lenovo. I've work on few and fix a few, especially one that looked like someone used it as a bat.

I know MSI and samsung makes some laptops.

Take your pick.

Comment

Alienware if you can afford it.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
            which is just a dell......... with a premium price tag of course.
            I would recommend Lenovo but he is looking for a GAMING laptop... an Intel HD 3000 isn't going to cut it obviously!
            That's why I would recommend Alienware because they are oriented for gaming, and they aren't that much more expensive!

Comment

personally I won't recommend alienware but I would recommend Asus which i know goes against the grain of this website. I have had great luck with Asus and have had 3 alienware laptops lately that have had issues in for repairs.

and I can read he is looking for a GAMING laptop

Comment

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude. You must have taken that the wrong way.

My Asus laptop is fine but it definitely isn't perfect... As such I wouldn't neccessarily recommend it.

Comment

I don't think any new laptops with a screen smaller than 17" have a screen resolution above 1366x768.

I would not buy an HP/Compaq or Toshiba. I haven't used any Samsung laptops, but all other Samsung products suck.

Comment

it's cool Shovenose just a bit tense today. I have just had great luck with my asus and a few others that people have picked up. I have had problems with Alienwares overheating. But it's just personal opinion and experience no hard facts to put behind my findings

Comment

Dell XPS14.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

As with buying any computer know, it would be something to consider and ponder about when talking about the Ivy Bridge processor options. I am excited with it though I don't think I would be obliging to upgrade this soon with a newer hardware just acquired recently.

But it would be very interesting to see what the new additions and upgrades come packing with.

Comment

Finding one with those criterias isn't easy.. and usually not cheap either.
                          Depends on what you mean with "gaming" though.. (what kind of games)

While digging through my favorite price comparison site (which has an awful lot of filters to get rid of the junk you don't want), I only found one model that kinda fits the sub-14" gaming criteria (has a half decent GPU) and doesn't cost 1k+ euro.

The comparison site is cool because you can filter stuff out and end up with a list of laptop models that fit the bill, and then look around elsewhere to buy them (as the comparison site is only designed for a handful european countries).

Link to the laptop
                          Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E320 (13.3", Core i5-2450M 2.50GHz, 4096MB, 320GB, Radeon HD 6630M, Windows 7 Home Premium, red (NWYA8GE))

The aforementioned comparison site
                          In English
                          or German (even though I doubt it's of any use for a Swede :P)

Just ignore the price comparison aspect for the most part (apart from getting a rough idea of what it would cost) and use it as a "generic laptop finder" of sorts
                          (to find the actual laptop model numbers, like for example "NWYA8GE" for the Thinkpad above, and search for them on local webshops)
                          Last edited by Scenic; 06-14-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

First you need to be more clear when you say a gaming laptop, what games? Do you mean gaming like farmville on facebook or do you mean gaming like Crysis 2? I will warn you now Laptops are not for High End Gaming. Yes you can get a High End Gaming Laptop that will run High End Games but they are not cheap and do not perform anywhere near a high End Gaming Desktop. Figure on spending about 3 times what you would on a desktop for a laptop that will run the games you want to play if your talking High End Games.

Comment

When i say gaming i mean real games like Diablo3, World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and so on. The screen dont have to be smaller then 14, but around there. 14.2 or 13.3 is both fine. I just dont want a huge 15.4-17" one thats barely movable

Comment

Working...
                              X