No red suddenly on Envision EN9410e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No red suddenly on Envision EN9410e

Need some help with one of my monitors. Turned off my computer overnight the other day and turned off my powerstrip (Just got a new cat, worried about wires.) When I turned it back on, my monitor was displaying this horrible dark blue tint. I played with everything, even tried resetting it back to it's default settings, nothing has helped. I hooked up my other LCD (17" Envision, exact same model as my 19" but smaller) and it works perfectly fine. When I hook up my 19", I still get the same problem. It's like the BSOD color. I've played with all the settings and nothing helps. I even tried setting all the same monitor settings as the 17" and it doesn't help. I've only had both these monitors for a year. The 17" is giving me the worst headache now and the settings were the same as what I used to have on my 19". I haven't gotten a headache since I bought the 19" over a year ago and the past 2 days my heads been killin me!

I was just able to pinpoint it down. It's not displaying red. It's the monitor, not the video card or any video card settings as my 17" works fine. I've also tried switching the VGA cable from the 17" monitor and still get the same problem. The cable from the 19" monitor works fine on the 17" monitor so that rules out the cable being the culprit. I've also tried changing the vga/dvi adapter (video card only has dvi) without any luck.

Any idea what could've happened to it and how to fix it? If it likely needs a part, I'm more than willing to take it off the 17" as I don't have much use for it if the 19" is working.

Thanks guys,
    Hutch

Re: No red suddenly on Envision EN9410e

Did you check the connector(s) for bad pins?

Comment

Suddenly not displaying one colour is usually a cable or connector issue. This would be the first thing to check. I know you have checked the cables, it could possibly be the connectors. I am not sure what the problem is if you eliminate the plug on the monitor as the issue. I am no display expert, unlike some of the others here!

Comment

You might need to check the PCB in the monitor - the input part that begins with the VGA connector.

Comment

I was going to suggest the VGA cable - had one go bad on my old CRT and I had to replace it - but sounds like you already swapped the cable. I'd start poking around the PCBs.

Comment

Yea I've checked the cables and both work fine on the 17" and both give the same problem on the 19". The two monitors are identical, with the only difference being the size. I haven't had really any experience with monitors, I don't think I've even taken one apart before. That's about the only computer part I haven't taken apart and modified/fixed/tweaked yet but I'll have to learn.

Could shutting off the powerstrip with the monitor in orange mode caused something to blow internally? The screen is just extremely dark blue tinted. When I went into my mobo bios with both monitors hooked up in clone mode, all of the red background was being displayed as black on the 19" and red (normal) on the 17". When I turn the monitor on and the VGA cable isn't plugged into anything the little 'no signal' screen still shows all 3 colored squares (red green blue) fine. I've played with all the display settings on the monitor and nothing gets rid of the horrible blue tint.

Thanks for the help guys,
            Hutch

Comment

This is a guess.
              Dried out caps can stop functioning once cooled after a long shut down.
              Techs have been known to warm up caps with a hairdryer inorder to get a board to post.
              At this point, look at the caps.

Wish I could offer more.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvanized
                This is a guess.
                Dried out caps can stop functioning once cooled after a long shut down.
                Techs have been known to warm up caps with a hairdryer inorder to get a board to post.
                At this point, look at the caps.

Wish I could offer more.
                Very well could be. This was the first time in 8+ months that I've even had my computer off for more than 4 hours and the first time having the monitor completely powered off for any amount of time.

Comment

I had this same problem with a color TV. On mine the plug on the rear of the CRT was dirty, and pins were somewhat tarnished. After removing the plug I polished up the pins on th CRT using a very fine scotch bright pad. For the plug I used tunner cleaner spray. I still don't know how I did this without getting electrocuted! I nothing about TV's and nothing was discharged! After plugging it back together its been working fine for over a year now. I'm a fool for messing with the TV. It does have enough voltage to kill you. If you don't know what you are doing like I don't, it may be better to send it off to one of the Pros on this forum for repaires!
                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                  Rod Serling

Comment

since the osd is ok i bet its a problem at or near the vga input.
                    busted pin on the female socket?bad solder joint at the same?
                    time to dig in.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                      I had this same problem with a color TV. On mine the plug on the rear of the CRT was dirty, and pins were somewhat tarnished. After removing the plug I polished up the pins on th CRT using a very fine scotch bright pad. For the plug I used tunner cleaner spray. I still don't know how I did this without getting electrocuted! I nothing about TV's and nothing was discharged! After plugging it back together its been working fine for over a year now. I'm a fool for messing with the TV. It does have enough voltage to kill you. If you don't know what you are doing like I don't, it may be better to send it off to one of the Pros on this forum for repaires!
                      Good thing is it is a LCD so there isn't near the same high voltage in there, and the only high voltage is to the backlight (which is usually marked and easy to tell what it is).

BTW, the high voltage on a CRT is mostly through the big red wire, if you don't touch a bare connection from that you are usually fine

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                        BTW, the high voltage on a CRT is mostly through the big red wire, if you don't touch a bare connection from that you are usually fine
                        ..provided you don't touch the power supply - more especially the main PSU capacitors - which in fault conditions can hold sufficient charge to kill you, where as the CRT even when working will [generally] just give you a very nasty kick and make your head spin for an hour.

Don't go playing unless you know its safe.

Comment

Well, I guess you have completely ruled out the possibility that the monitor can not reproduce the red colour. It now looks more than ever like a simple issue and you should check out the stuff that kc8adu said. All of them are rather simple problems that would cause the problem that you are experiencing.

Comment

Working...
                          X