Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happened to this digital lcd display?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happened to this digital lcd display?

please refer to the attached pictures. seems like the liquid crystal has leaked inside the lcd, making it impossible to see what is being displayed. i pulled the lcd and it looks like the darkened part of the lcd is translucent when i hold it up to the light. is this digital lcd bust and i need a new digital clock? anyway to revive/fix this digital lcd before i toss it? thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: what happened to this digital lcd display?

there is a pattern that looks like the glass is cracked.
    did it get crushed?
    if not then maybe some type of thermal shock.

to answer the second part - it's dead jim.
    no bringing that one back to life!
    Last edited by stj; 07-26-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Not repairable.

Comment

I've been waiting to get a definitive answer on this question! I've seen many LCDs end up like this and always knew it was fatal, but still have no idea why -- which layer was the fragile layer, because the substrate, front glass, and polarizer still look okay...

Comment

Yeah, but the most important layer, the glass display, is broken. So irreparable.

Comment

Well we know it's not repairable, but what...and therefore WHY it broke, so we can avoid it next time.

We all try to prevent mechanical damage, but despite not dropping our LCDs stuff like this happens...what else to not do?

(BTW: I've personally never had an LCD succumb in this fashion, though have come across other peoples' problems...)

Example: WTF happened? (Note this is NOS!!!)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by eccerr0r; 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

its not cracked or broken. it was very well handled and never dropped or roughly handled. not sure why after several years, the glass seems to disintegrate or sumthing due to the heat here (stj suggested thermal shock) and the liquid crystal ends up leaking out.

also, in case u wanna know, its NOT the batteries leaking and doing this to the digital lcd. i opened it up and it was dry and there was no leaked battery water inside. neither on the pcb nor on the lcd.

ah well, its been fun while it lasted me. had it for around 15 years and time to say goodbye to it. will take a few photos of it for a keepsake and for memories, then its off to the e-waste recycle bin.

damn thats the second time now the hot weather here killed my electronics. first, my mom's old dell laptop and now my digital clock. grrr! well actually, its the umpteenth time, not the first or second. lots of dead video cards, mobos and hard drives here.
              Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 07-26-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Perhaps it's just poor QC, but I've had an LCD in cars that last quite a long time too, and they suffer huge extremes...

Plus that broken one I took the picture of... not sure what trauma that took...

Comment

maybe the glue bonding the glass layers together failed.
                  either age or thermal.

Comment

Working...
                  X