Bad cap on nforce3-a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad cap on nforce3-a

Hello i'm new here, I was wondering if a bad cap could cause the motherboad not to post. Its sometimes posts and other times it acts like a dead board. i can remove the ram sticks and i get beeps. I located a bulged cap next to my northbridge. The cap is a 6.3v 1000uf OST. My question is would it be hard to solder in a new cap?

Re: Bad cap on nforce3-a

just solderd in a new cap and it seems to be running fine so far.

Comment

You have to replace all of those (especially OST) caps. Replacing just one will place all the filtering load on it and cause it to fail also.

What brand and series did you use to replace it?

Also, check the power supply for more of the same problems. Improper power will also cause a no post or "flakey" problems.

See this for a list of bad cap manufacturers:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388
      Last edited by Toasty; 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM.
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I got the motherboard from my brother after it it started freezing on start up. I replaced the cap OST 6.3v 1000uf also same height and width that i took out of a old motherboard that i don't use anymore. It's been up and running strong for the past 2 days strait. I looked at the rest of the caps on the motherboard and there no sign of leaking or bulging so is it safe to assume it might be ok now?
        Last edited by superdoyle; 03-18-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Again -
          What brand and series did you replace it with? If you replaced it with a known bad series, you'll have problems again shortly.

Again-
          You have to replace all of those (especially OST) caps. OST's will FAIL without bulging or leaking. The one you replaced MAY be shoring up the others for the time being. It won't last.

If you have ANY of the brand/series on that board that are listed in the link in my last post, you have more work to do. Check all of the caps and refer to the list.

Did you check the Power supply (open it and LOOK)?
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

Looks like more work then i want to do, My whole board is OST with the exception of 3 by my heatsink that is black and gold don't know what brand they are without pulling the board out of the case. Also everything is new in the case except the motherboard.

Yes i did replace with a known bad series i should smack myself for that.

About the power supply i really don't want to open it cause it would void the warranty as its only under a week old.

Comment

OST come in black and gold too.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X