Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making an adaptor for a non standard ATX pinout HP Z400

Hey guys

I have a rather nice 1366 socket board from a HP Z400 workstation here and it has a non-standard pinout:

There are 3 pins different.

I have seen someone make an adaptor that daisy chains a molex to change the voltage of the pins to 12V and a ground.

I can do that but IMO it is messy.

Would it be possible to just feed 12v from the existing 2 12v pins already in the ATX socket?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bungz; 07-18-2015, 09:56 AM.

Re: Making an adaptor for a non standard ATX pinout HP Z400

PIN 20 (-5v) is obsolete, it's no longer used in modern systems. In new ATX power supplies, the pin is not connected to anything. That's probably why HP replaced it with a ground wire. You could probably leave the pin in the HP connector unconnected, as there are enough ground wires already in the ATX connector.

The two extra 12v... it's a bit strange that they replaced a 5v wire with a 12v one, I would think it a bit risky but I guess they figured they don't need that much power. I can understand replacing one 3.3v wire with 12v but two..

No, I wouldn't recommend splicing wires into the existing wires going to the connector, the wires seem kind of thin (AWG 20 maybe) so if the motherboard uses a lot of 12v the wires may overheat or they may be too much power loss through those cables.

If it were up to me, I'd cut a 6pin pci-express connector and solder the 12v wires to those 12v pins and be done with it. That improvization with the molex connectors also works.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

The board only has a single 12v 4pin CPU power connection oddly enough, I may mod a 4 pin extension to use as the 12v pins as all modern psu's usually have a 8 pin split for the CPU power connection.

Comment

Take a look at ATX-GES standard, could be what you are looking for.

Comment

If you had a pin extractor you could swap the pins around.

Comment

Swapping the pins around would be ideal but there are not enough 12v lines, hence needing an adaptor.

I made a fairly neat one running off the 2nd 4 pin 12v CPU connection, it works a treat!

Work in progress but is coming along, has a 2.1 SLIC key for Windows 7 so I made a HP OEM disc and it all activates legit for the incoming free widows 10 upgrade
            Attached Files

Comment

it's a Downgrade, not an Upgrade.

Comment

May well be, I can't stand 8/8.1

But this gives me a legit way to try it

Comment

Hello
                  I have built the adapter ATX-> hpz400 but I have problems with the USB ports. with the old power supply hp USB ports feed the external HD, but with the new PSU that does not happen. Also very often the computer, while I'm working, it turns off and on again by itself.

I tried two new power supplies, Seasonic 620W and EVGA Supernova 750G2.

If food motherboard with the old PSU hp and video card (nVidiaGTX670) with the new PSU, all is well.

I do not understand why all this is happening. You have the same problem or will it all works.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hello

I haven't used a external with the machine but it has been solid as a rock for the last year, if it is fine with the stock PSU I would think there a problem with the adaptor?

Comment

I used this thread to mod my Z400 that way with a new PSU, but it doesn't work.

Any Idea what I did wrong?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Forgett it, I just tried it with the CPU Cable, but now when I used the Molex Cable, it's working. Thinks by the way, my PC is now much more silent then with the default Power Supply!

Comment

Working...
                        X