Another Epox 8KHA+ w/Bad Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Epox 8KHA+ w/Bad Caps

My computer recently had been giving me BSOD's upon shut down. I didn't think too much of it b/c I had installed a shitload of stuffs on it and thought might the cause of it. A few days go I took the PC's apart to do my annual cleaning and too my surprise 12 of the 2200 uF capacitors are bulging with leaked rusty residue on them. The worst part is that my brother and I have about 5 Epox boards altogether. Now, I am wondering if I should do the recap myself or ship them to Epox to fix. I have never done any soldering in my life before, but I am pretty good with handy stuffs. Also, I am wondering is it worth for me to invest in a soldering tools to fix these boards myself?
    Last edited by gambit; 03-16-2005, 11:43 AM.

The soldering is not too difficult, just use common sense when removing the old caps since the 6-layer PCB absorbs a lot of heat.

Get all the new replacements (Rubycon, Sanyo or Panasonics are good) ahead of time. EPoX will charge return shipping at least but are committed to replacing the bad caps if within warrantee period.

Tools: a 25 watt soldering pencil, sewing needle and needle-nose pliers are all you need.

I replaced all the GSC caps on my 8RDA+, took about an hour to relace ten.
    (but I practiced on an old board first)
    Last edited by bETAbILLY; 03-16-2005, 02:42 PM.
    EPoX 9NDA3+
    A64 Winnie 3200 @270*10
    2-512 Corsair TwinXMS 4400
    6800GT

EPoX 8RDA+
    Barton 2500 234*10
    2-256 Twinmos BH-5 3200
    R9700 Pro

ABIT NF7-S 2.0 239fsb
    XP 2100+
    2-512 Corsair Value Select 3200
    R9500np softmod to 9700

"USE THE N-FORCE 3, LUKE"

Comment

Originally posted by bETAbILLY
      The soldering is not too difficult, just use common sense when removing the old caps since the 6-layer PCB absorbs a lot of heat.

Get all the new replacements (Rubycon, Sanyo or Panasonics are good) ahead of time. EPoX will charge return shipping at least but are committed to replacing the bad caps if within warrantee period.

Tools: a 25 watt soldering pencil, sewing needle and needle-nose pliers are all you need.

I replaced all the GSC caps on my 8RDA+, took about an hour to relace ten.
      (but I practiced on an old board first)
      Thanks for your reply. I think I'm gonna take your advice and recap them my self. Anyway, what do you think of this solder iron? Will it do the job?

Link To The Solder

Comment

Cool, and you can get very small gauge solder at your nearest RadioShack but it would be nice to pick up a anti-static wristband while you are there.

You will see plenty of cap changing advice in this forum and the BC.net home page. Forget the solder sucker, a sewing needle is much better.
        EPoX 9NDA3+
        A64 Winnie 3200 @270*10
        2-512 Corsair TwinXMS 4400
        6800GT

EPoX 8RDA+
        Barton 2500 234*10
        2-256 Twinmos BH-5 3200
        R9700 Pro

ABIT NF7-S 2.0 239fsb
        XP 2100+
        2-512 Corsair Value Select 3200
        R9500np softmod to 9700

"USE THE N-FORCE 3, LUKE"

Comment

Originally posted by bETAbILLY
          You will see plenty of cap changing advice in this forum and the BC.net home page. Forget the solder sucker, a sewing needle is much better.
          Yup. I use a stainless steel dental pick, works like a charm. A sewing needle will work just as well, just not as easy to handle.

Last edited by Topcat; 03-18-2005, 05:54 PM.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
          X