Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LG 55LD650 Display Good Won't Load Past LG Boot Screen.. Firmware??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 55LD650 Display Good Won't Load Past LG Boot Screen.. Firmware??

Another firmware question....

Got a really nice LG 55"... Powers up, backlights good.. Freezes at the LG Boot Up logo....

I am thinking firmware issue..

I have another identical board that has a display issue.. Thinking (hoping) that the firmware is good..

Now to identify the firmware chip...

Inspecting all the chips, an IC # caught my eye..

24C02RP

Turns out it's an 16Kbit, 8Kbit, 4Kbit, 2Kbit and 1Kbit Serial I²C bus EEPROM

Would that be my firmware chip???
    Attached Files

Re: LG 55LD650 Display Good Won't Load Past LG Boot Screen.. Firmware??

Wonder if this model could have same problems as this e55? something to check maybe. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53880

Comment

Don't think that's it.. I have had those B2 problems as well... But with mine, it was completely dead.. This LG comes up and works fine.. Just can't get past the bootup logo...

Thanx for the reply...

Comment

Common problem with the XXLD560 and XXLD650 series.

Reflow that square chip in the middle under the heatsink using a heat gun. If youre not sure how, im sure theres tons of other threads with the same problem.

Comment

I would not have thought a reflow would be a possibility..

I am a BIG fan of reflows.

I'll give it a shot and report back..

Comment

Well, I'll be deep'ed in sheet!! It worked!!

Never would have thunked that...

Many thanks...

I gotta say.. Working on a TV outdoors in this adds a whole new exciting Degree Of Difficulty..
            Attached Files

Comment

How long did you cook it?

Comment

Got it up to around 230c for 90 seconds with an infrared pre heater..
                Attached Files

Comment

Glad to know you have the tools and ability to reflow.

However it's known that the problem often re-occurs. The initial cause is cracked solder joints under the BGA chip due to heat stress and a reflow is only a temporary fix.

LG used a small heatsink poorly contacted with tape adhesive for the cooling mechanism. You might want to use a liquid thermal adhesive instead to make good contact with the heatsink. And even better, swap the original heatsink for a larger one. Bear in mind that a larger heatsink might interfere with placing the rear panel back on.

Comment

Thanx for the info.. Yea, as I mentioned, I am a BIG fan of reflows..

Got my rig back when the XBOX RROD was the big thing.. Was tickled pink when I realized it could be used for laptop MBs with BGA issues and TV Main Boards..

I think I put about $400 into that rig 10 years ago and it has paid for itself a hundred times over..

Thanx again for the advice..

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                      Got it up to around 230c for 90 seconds with an infrared pre heater..
                      Thanks, that bigger better thermal pad sounds like a good course to take, thinking about doing that with my 42 lg before it even starts to act up. Hard to beat the picture on LGs, I think its even a little better than my sony and samsung.
                      Last edited by nomoresonys; 12-09-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                        Thanks, that bigger better thermal pad sounds like a good course to take, thinking about doing that with my 42 lg before it even starts to act up. Hard to beat the picture on LGs, I think its even a little better than my sony and samsung.
                        Yea... As a repair tech, I LOVE LGs.. That one series that always has the LED strips going out... That's a big chunk of my business..

Yea, but LGs do have a great picture..

Comment

Working...
                        X