Recapping a DFI nF4 Ultra-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recapping a DFI nF4 Ultra-D

I know @momaka and @dan81, thanks for advices.
    Right now I use:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tin-L...976726377.html,
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...451710871.html, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-A...216881681.html
    http://static.mivarom.ro/catalog/images/9830b.jpg
    https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...fxm4lr1nr_Iu4a
    I hope the board to split the disquss in the proper sections.
    Last edited by alindumitru46; 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Okay, that right there is what you should NOT use. Solder sucker / vacuum pump / desoldering pump is only good for single-layer PCBs (like in cheap PSUs, for example). For multi-layer modern PCBs, it simply doesn't work.

My recommendation is to use the method listed below for two- or three-legged components:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=23

Once you have the component out, you can then clear the vias/holes on the PCB with a needle or some other sharp object like that. Basically, heat the holes on one side and push through the solder with the needle on the other side. To make it easier, you don't even need to clear the hole completely - just push some of the solder out, and then you can use the above method I again to "wiggle" in the component.

Comment

This method was recommended to me the first time, when I asked about what to do. But I never have met four capacitors in one place, so stubborn to leave the place...

Comment

Originally posted by alindumitru46 View Post
          This method was recommended to me the first time, when I asked about what to do.
          Which one? The one I showed or the method you are using with the desoldering pump?

Either way, just keep practicing and you will get it. It might also help if you grind/sand your soldering iron's tip so that it is chisel- or bevel-shaped. Do that only if it's a copper tip, though. If it's brass, you shouldn't sand it. Brass tips are usually iron-plated so that solder can stick to them more easily. Once the iron plating is gone, the tip becomes very hard to use.

Comment

I mean was recommended exactly the same method you recommended here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=23
            I would like to think that because I worked in a period with low temperatures (below -5 degrees Celsius), my workroom having around 10-15 degrees, soldering iron is too weak, fail to compensate the temperature dissipated too quickly by motherboard.

I thought for about two months to manufacture copper tips, but I have not found 5mm diameter wires, as I need.
            Now I spoke to someone to prepare three pieces of pure copper, with different geometric shapes, to escape from the nightmare that tip.
            Last edited by alindumitru46; 02-21-2016, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I would like to think that because I worked in a period with low temperatures (below -5 degrees Celsius), my workroom having around 10-15 degrees, soldering iron is too weak, fail to compensate the temperature dissipated too quickly by motherboard.
              Yeah, that could do it for weaker soldering irons. I can barely do anything with my 30 Watt iron if the board is cold. The heat gun really can do miracles, though. Even a hair dryer might work okay.

I thought for about two months to manufacture copper tips, but I have not found 5mm diameter wires, as I need.
              Now I spoke to someone to prepare three pieces of pure copper, with different geometric shapes, to escape from the nightmare that tip.
              Yeah, that would be quite nice to have. I'm thinking about doing the same to a cheap digital soldering station I have that uses really crappy 900M tips. These ones, in particular:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=559411

^ They sit loose on the heating element and have no heat reserve whatsoever. Once I touch the board, they loose the heat. Have to crank the station all the way up to solder any reasonably bigger joints.

The home improvement stores around here sell long solid copper rods meant for use as ground rods. They are about 1.5 m long and 13 mm diameter (so quite a bit of copper ). If I am not mistaken, they were selling at $10 each last I checked. Perhaps see what your local home improvement stores have. It doesn't necessarily need to be copper wire. Can be copper anything.

Comment

Hi mitchmaster,

What where your initial symptoms may I ask?

Where you perhaps getting the 4 LEDs of death (no boot) problem?

I bought a nF4 Ultra-D with a 4 LEDs of death problem. I know from the fact that this can be caused by corrupted BIOS. Having another working DFI board, I reflashed the BIOS hoping I would fix the motherboard, it didn't help. Then nF4 Ultra-D is known to be finicky with what PSU you use, but I have OCZ PowerStream 520W which is known to work with this board. I tried using various sets of RAM, TCCD and BH5, and tried different working CPUs, no help.

When 4 LEDs are lit, it means that the board is trying to detect and initialize a CPU, some people would get 4 LEDs of death if their CPU wasn't plugged, or the heatsink wasn't seated properly on overclocked CPU, or even they would get it due to seized chipset fan.

I get 4 LEDs of death and there are no shorts as the system remains powered up. I tried the famous 8 hour CMOS clear etc with no help, too bad dfi-street.com doesn't exist anymore.

I myself tirelessly inspected the board and I do not see any crushed or broken ceramic capacitors. All of the electrolytic capacitors are in great condition. I'm really out of ideas what could be wrong. I would really like to resurrect this 939 board.

I stumbled upon this site, even though don't recall signing up back in 2008, I'm thinking of perhaps reflowing the nForce4 chipset and 939 socket (if that's even possible), I noticed that the socket level sounds rather squeaky?

Can anyone help me or recommend what I could do, I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Hi, yes I would get four red LEDs and the board wouldn't boot.

You should consider replacing at least the seven KZG caps on your board, they may have gone bad even without showing any signs. Check the diagram in the first post to see which ones they are

Comment

Thanks for prompt reply, I unsoldered majority of the electrolytic capacitors, all of them tested good so far, the rest of caps are in between PCI and PCIe slots that I'm planning to unsolder soon.

The odd thing about my Ultra-D is that it will always power on by itself as soon as PSU in switched on, I'm not sure why that is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by nfm View Post
                      The odd thing about my Ultra-D is that it will always power on by itself as soon as PSU in switched on, I'm not sure why that is happening.
                      I don't know, that would point to a short somewhere between the front panel pins and the PSU.

Comment

Working...
                      X