Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring for voice and ethernet.

Hi!

How's this drawing look? For voice, we have a PSTN line. I took a CAT 6 patch panel (punch down style) I had laying around and daisy chained all pin 1's to pin 1's, all pin 2's to pin 2's, etc. This way, the ports are all distributed to each other. We run our various lines to the patch panel, crimp an RJ-45 end on the end, plug it into the patch panel. We take our incoming phone line and crimp an RJ-45 end on the end, plug it into one the ports. Then all of the ports receive the incoming line(s).

For any of the voice jacks, we're wiring to the USOC standard.

For ethernet, we're wiring to the TIA-568B standard.

Does it look okay?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Re: Wiring for voice and ethernet.

I cannot edit my first post, because too much time has passed. I've added labels for the various colours.

I'm not 100% sure on the voice stuff because I've never used ethernet for voice before. Does it look right?

Essentially, if you came over to do some work on the telephone lines, knew that we had a PSTN type phone system, when you removed a wall plate and seen the blue and white / blue wires, would think line 1? When you seen the orange and the white /orange wires, would you think line 2? When you saw the green and white / green, would you think line 3?

That's what I'm attempting. Trying to wire everything up like most people do. I know most people will have a VoIP system, and we will one of these days, but for now, I'm working with what we have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spork Schivago; 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM. Reason: Forgot to add white background to label boxes.

Comment

Re: Wiring for voice and ethernet.

I had a bit of a mishap. A two-part pinout tester I was using to check the cables was showing pins 2 and 3 were switched. Took a while before I realized the cat 3 cable we crimped with RJ25 connectors on each end was crimped wrong! One end had the black and red wires switched!

Man, that was a headache trying to figure out where I went wrong!
      Last edited by Spork Schivago; 12-03-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X