H.P. wireless printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.P. wireless printing

My wife is using a HP laptop with vista home premium, really the only problems we have had is with wireless printing.
    We're using a HP 4700 series photo printer; it worked fine for about the first year.
    Recently it's like her laptop cannot wake up the printer. If I go in as administrator and cancel all documents and then reprint, it will sometimes start to work. Also sometimes if the printer is powered off and on it will print the document.
    I have installed all the windows updates, and the most recent HP driver for the printer.
    Hp also has a network diagnostic utility that has been run and it not finding any problems.
    Has anybody run to this?
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Re: H.P. wireless printing

Did you try connecting the printer directly to the laptop with a USB cable and run the HP configuration utility?
    I had to do this for a friend after her 6 year old router died (wireless died).
    Ran the configuration utility and its working fine with the new router.
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I will try that.
      The thing that really bugs me is that as long as there no documents pending to be printed, I can go into printer properties and print a test page every time I request one.
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Are you printing to the printer via its built-in wifi function, or are you printing to it via the wifi network, where it's connected via ethernet?

If you have the option of connecting to the router via ethernet, that's a much more reliable option, you then just print to its IP address from the laptop which is connected to the network via wifi.

Comment

No to the wifi, The printer is is instaled through the router.
          I have installed the drivers on A Win 7 system I have see if the problem shows up on the win 7 computor.

Comment

Well an update on this, the printer was in its glory this morning. The wife needed to print a shipping label and it would not print, I also was unable to print a test page. I was able to print from the win 7 computer with no problems.
            I don't really understand this but the vista computer was using a WSD port, And the Win7 was set up on a 192.1……Standard TCP/ IP port.
            I switched the vista to a 192.1….. Port and things seem to be working as they should.
            If anything changes I'll let everyone know.

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
              Well an update on this, the printer was in its glory this morning. The wife needed to print a shipping label and it would not print, I also was unable to print a test page. I was able to print from the win 7 computer with no problems.
              I don't really understand this but the vista computer was using a WSD port, And the Win7 was set up on a 192.1……Standard TCP/ IP port.
              I switched the vista to a 192.1….. Port and things seem to be working as they should.
              If anything changes I'll let everyone know.
              Well I am going to call this fixed.
              When the printer was set up on the Vista computer the instillation disc chose the wsd port.
              After changing to a 192…..TCP/IP port everything have worked as it should

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                When the printer was set up on the Vista computer the instillation disc chose the wsd port.
                After changing to a 192…..TCP/IP port everything have worked as it should
                Hmm, this is the first time I have heard of WSD, but from my quick look at the implementation, there could be a couple of things.

1) Buggy implementation of this newer protocol.

2) WSD uses UDP for some of its handshaking. UDP is unreliable and in a congested wifi (at my place, I see up to 19 wifi routers), it can easily never make it to the destination.

TCP is reliable and thus works better in a congested wifi environment.

3) A protocol sniffer/analyzer would quickly resolve the problem.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                X