I found the bad cap, looking at replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the bad cap, looking at replacements

I want to replace the low quality caps in the 5v 2a adapter my rpi uses (I did make sure it can do 2A, not sure how long it can handle it with how hot the 470uf caps get, but it did so with 0 vdrop; that test was done with 18awg wire soldered to the board, not over a micro usb plug)
    it had 2 caps fail, both are 470 uf 16v, they are by far the hottest running component in the unit
    they lasted about 1.8 years, i guess that is not bad for low grade caps but, they were under a 25% to 50% load and able to get passive airflow
    given i want the longest lasting part i can fit get in there

since it only has 4 caps and none are quality brands i figure i will replace them all; i would like to keep the caps the same or smaller diameter and the height 17mm or less (if i can get much longer life i can put the cap on a wire [max 18 awg] and give it more space)
    IF i am gonna pay $5 for shipping lets be sure i don't need new caps any time soon

CAP A: 400v; 10uf; 10mm Diameter; 17mm tall; 5mm lead spacing (appears to be fore 120V mains after being rectified)
    CAP B: 25v; 47uf; 5mm Diameter; 12mm tall; 2mm lead spacing (idk what this is for)
    CAPs C & D: 16v; 470uf; 7mm Diameter; 12mm tall; 3.5mm lead spacing ( these are dead, look to be for 5vdc regulation)
    here is a picture of the board

so while i was search mouser i found this cap
    https://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...67-EEU-EB1A471
    later i was thinking about the ripple current and thought what if this is not generated ripple it is a tolerance, after looking into that it sounds like it is a tolerance, and very low ripple current rating mean it will heat up more
    so then i found this one:
    https://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...250ELL471MH15D
    Am i making a mistake?

BTW there is a issue i have been having, it may be a software issue, but it could be a noise issue in my power, on occasion i get a odd noise in my audio over-wise it is seems spotless, so if there is something i can do to make the output cleaner i would like to know; i have already tried using aluminum foil to shield stuff from power lines, i did manage to get a voltage measurement during this event and only saw a variation of 0.01v; so far nothing i have done has had any effect, i also tried a ferret core on my audio cable

Re: I found the bad cap, looking at replacements

you cant use EB series caps on a psu - you need low impedance.
    that's why they ran hot.

try FR series.

Comment

Yup, as stj said you can't use general purpose caps here.
      This would be good: https://www.mouser.se/ProductDetail/...c/EEU-FR1C471/

The small cap is the startup cap, it can be pretty important to match it's specs well.
      So is there anything written on the caps to help identify them?
      Perhaps you can take a photo from the opposite side?

P.S: You can't put caps on leads: it will completely fuck up the unit (it wont regulate well).
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-22-2017, 01:00 PM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

5mm 47uf having "specs"? you must be joking - it's going to be a chang/chong/cheng-x type junk.

Comment

I know but it might still be important to match whatever is there.
          Case in point: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...102#post666102
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I would also have to mention that a lot of these startup caps, must be a low leakage type. Don't cheap out and use the cheapest one, and it's usually safe to go up in cap max voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              5mm 47uf having "specs"? you must be joking - it's going to be a chang/chong/cheng-x type junk.
              All those caps are fake Chongx or Chengx caps. The print is wrong, there is no series denotation and there is no lot number. They're blatant fakes. I've found fake ChengX/ChongX etc in many power supplies that were branded and UL listed etc. Obviously they were lower end ones, but nonetheless they'll still make it.

The fakes fail a lot sooner than the real ones, Chong and ChongX are spinoffs of the actual caps ChengX and Chang which ChengX being made by Bentex and Chang being made by Yang Chang.

Oh yeah, keeping in mind that they're fake. I found out fake caps are usually highly deprived of electrolyte. They reduce the amount to reduce costs, this is easily seen by taking a fake and a real and opening the fake one and the real one. The real will have much more electrolyte than the fake. The fakes also commonly have a very clear, (sometimes) odorless electrolyte.
              Last edited by jazzie366; 11-22-2017, 03:03 PM.
              Popcorn.

Comment

I think if you use caps that are physically larger then they will be able to handle more current with less heat.
                Disclaimer: Don't trust a thing I say-I am frequently wrong!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

Some of the things I've fixed:
                60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Comment

I know others on here disagree, but I don't think it matters which brand you use. especially on cheap chinese parts like this.
                  Disclaimer: Don't trust a thing I say-I am frequently wrong!!!

I have tons of spare parts, some used, some N.O.S. ham transistors and caps. Message me if you need any parts.

Some of the things I've fixed:
                  60" Vizio-bad LED's. iBook G4: Resoldered VCC Plug. Geo Tracker ECU: Swollen / Leaking capacitors. Windows Laptop: Soldered broken LVDS wires. Dryer: Burned contact on temp switch. Oven in R.V.: Bad contacts in relays-Exploded by the looks of them! Samsung Oven: Burned contacts on Relays. MSI Motherboard: BSOD-Swollen capacitors, bad graphics card, Moved SATA Input from SATA 1 to SATA 2 plug

Comment

your wrong because the idea is NOT to have to fix it again later.
                    i would use a 47uf 35v/50v panasonic FR in it.

Comment

@stj you hit the nail on the head with the brand part (Changx)

I have 2 questions about the series
                      1. do you have a link to what each means/ intended use
                      2. which series do i want for each cap

I do have 3 of these units (replacing caps in all), 2 have the same garbage caps, one has different caps, the other has Jwco, the larger 10uf caplooks to have a actual number on it (CD11G brand appears to be jw)

I have not replaced any caps yet, all i did was swap a in a spare board
                      the original caps run hot, but to be far the adapter puts out 5.25v and i used 2.4 Ohms (5 Ohm 10% 10W x2) resistance and it did maintain 5.25v and it is rated (more accurately labeled) at 2A
                      we all know anyone using knockoff/fake caps does not care how long the unit last

I want to make sure i get the correct/best caps

@Per Hansson
                      After looking at that cap, wouldn't this one be better/last longer?
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail.../EEU-FR1E471Y/

@stj
                      as for the 47uf cap, this is the only one matching what you would use:
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...67-EEU-FR1H470
                      It is a tad wider but i think it will fit

and about that 400v cap, does that need to be fr as well?
                      i had this in my cart, i know it is only rated at 160v, but it should only be getting used at ~125v
                      https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...47-UCA2C100MPD

Comment

Check temp rise on that little transformer- bet it's cookin' at 2A out w/o the PCB in the enclosure.

Sorry to say that looks like lots of cheep "fone chargers" I've EOLed. That has potential to kill if the transformer overheats and shorts pri-sec. It'll keep working with 5V across the output leads while line voltage is present to external GNDs, including YOU.

R- PI is the next frontier in cheep POS supplies, after gray/black market tablets/ fones & aftermarket chargers.
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

the transformer seemed warm, but those 470uf caps were cookin and it was not a very long test, maybe 60 seconds
                          for actual use this board is only outputting 0.5A and at most 1A or 0.5+ what ever it takes to charge a old 2ed gen ipod shuffle
                          Last edited by evilkitty; 11-22-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

You cannot go wrong with PANASONIC caps FR, FM series .

'and about that 400v cap, does that need to be fr as well?
                            i had this in my cart, i know it is only rated at 160v, but it should only be getting used at ~125v'

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...47-UCA2C100MPD.
                            Nope, do not using 160VDC cap! the dcV on the cap after the rectification is about 120VAC x 1.414 = about 170VDC!, they use 400VDC cap because that adapter is probably made to handle 230VAC as well. Never go lower Voltage than the original.
                            Last edited by budm; 11-22-2017, 10:44 PM.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

for the 10uf,
                              i'd use rubycon LLE series 10uf 250v (on 110v mains only!!)
                              that range is intended for led lamps and has incredible rated lifetime!
                              i use them in my radio chargers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

sadly mouser does not carry rubycon
                                i ordered from digikey once but they charged me way too much in shipping, they sent be a box full of packing paper, almost entire cubic foot of it
                                *looks at life span *

if i use mouser i guess that limits me 1 one of these 2 with only about 1/2 the life
                                https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UCY2G100MPD (400v Nichicon)
                                https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...XG201ELL100MJ1 (200v United Chemi-Con)
                                Last edited by evilkitty; 11-23-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evilkitty View Post
                                  I want to replace the low quality caps in the 5v 2a adapter my rpi uses (I did make sure it can do 2A, not sure how long it can handle it with how hot the 470uf caps get, but it did so with 0 vdrop; that test was done with 18awg wire soldered to the board, not over a micro usb plug)
                                  it had 2 caps fail, both are 470 uf 16v, they are by far the hottest running component in the unit
                                  they lasted about 1.8 years

First of all to me this a garbage power supply I would just take the low voltage power supply cord off of it and use this power supply after you replace the caps inside of it is very easy it has one screw that hold it together

Here is the link where you can buy one
                                  One note every so often they run a sale on these power supply for $5.00 each some times they have a limit to how many you can buy and sometimes do not

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G20394

If you want to see the inside of this power supply look at this post at the top of the page

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t+Power+Supply

One thing that nice about this power supply is that it has an adjustment for the output voltage

The range is 4.75 to about 5.75 volts

I use this power supply for all of phones and tablet it works very good and this power supply run cool when pushing 2 amps while I am on my tablet surfing the web and charging the battery

I have pushed this power supply to 4.5 to 5.0 amps and dose get a little warm to touch
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-23-2017, 09:11 AM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

even fc will do on the output.
                                    eb are fine on the input.
                                    since i stock fc to simplify stock i use them for the startup.
                                    they always work.
                                    if you got hot output caps in 60sec they are backwards or rectifier leaky.
                                    digikey offers usps 1st class and i dont mind the big flat box small orders come in.
                                    great for shipping tcon,mains,frc,ect.
                                    i reuse them.
                                    agreed on that being a shit power supply.and a transformer failure may make the output live with line voltage.
                                    Last edited by kc8adu; 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

While i do agree with that, but with how i am using the one that failed, that very nice unit is a bit large to fit in addition to being overkill
                                      https://i.imgur.com/CyOkW3C.jpg
                                      i have a 12v and 5v adapter in there

Comment

Would it be easy to take a photo of the 12 volt & 5 volts power supply board I am curious of the quality of that power supply seeing the quality of the 5 volt board is to me is crap

Just a thought
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X