Do I need an exorcist?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need an exorcist?!

Gigabyte GA-M51SME-S2. Few CHemi-Cons already bulged, did complete recap but input VRM (Rubycons) and one 470 uF/16 V (Nichicon).

OK, so when I finally assembled whole computer (board tested off course independently, turned on so it looked like its OK), after like 10 minutes it suddenly turned off itself. I even managed to see screen of XP shutting down so it recivede some signal.

Since than, its like obsessed with evil. It turns itself on and off randomly, sometimes even after couple if minutes to turn off right away again. What the hell?! There is no obvious short, swapping processor and erasing CMOS did not help.

ADD// got new name for it: syndrom of Gigabyte evil obsession! Already e-mailed that to our local GB PR

Well, now it is in lasta stadium, not even POST card talks to me, I guess I will have to scramble it and say some not just nice news to the girl
    Last edited by Behemot; 07-19-2012, 12:05 AM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: Do I need an exorcist?!

Short between layers of the PCB that manifests only when that area heats up?

Gigabyte recently made an announcement that they're using a new pcb material where the fiber strands are more densely packed, because it makes them less sensitive to humidity.

They were saying in a press release that they got larger than average returns from India and other countries where the humidity is a bigger factor and when they checked the boards, there were shorts between layers of the pcb due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
      after like 10 minutes it suddenly turned off itself. I even managed to see screen of XP shutting down so it recivede some signal.
      That's what my Acer TravelMate 4200 laptop does with dying battery. I think the battery is bad.
      Because no problem with an HP AC adapter.

And with a desktop, I would check the ATX power switch.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Today it even fired up, but still the same behaviour. I have the boad on ground, no switch connected. Its more like there may be some strange connection directly on the board, when I measured voltage on PWR_ON pins, there is just arround 0,4 V and its oscillating like hell. Maybe Super IO?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
        X