Gigabyte K8VM800M - Attack of the bad KZGs continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte K8VM800M - Attack of the bad KZGs continues

Got this in tonight from my first floor neighbor. It stopped booting into Windows, would display random lines in text mode instead of the XP bootscreen. He thought the onboard video could be going out, but a look at the board revealed something else.

I know this is a low-end board but that's some serious cost cutting. The VRM has all of THREE caps. All three 3300uF 6.3v KZG, all three had gone bad. 1.3 ohm, 0.74 ohm and 100 mOhm. If the third cap had gone any worse it's likely that the thing wouldn't have even POSTed anymore. It was only running a Sempron 2800+ CPU, not some power hungry dual core. And this is a well-cared for machine, i mean just look at it, there's almost no traces of dust, that's a low power CPU and the caps still failed. The whole board is KZG btw, with a couple tiny Teapos thrown in the mix, but knock on wood, the rest of them seem to be fine.

I was out of 3300uF caps of any kind but i found something else in my cap box, take a look at the pics. Booted up first time, passed IntelBurnTest, so we can call this another successful poly mod. The OSCONs have 17mOhm ESR each, so with 4 of them i get 4.25 mOhm. The three KZGs (assuming they ever met their spec of 12mOhm) woulda been 4 mOhm. The difference is insignificant. It doesn't seem to complain about the change in capacitance either.

You should see the insides of that joke of a power supply, but that's for another thread... Anyway, it'll probably stay in spec given the consumption of a Sempron with onboard video, so it doesn't worry me that much. It also has a partially seized fan, but i ain't fixing that for free. I'll suggest him to get another power supply, whether he takes my advice or not isn't my business.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Re: Gigabyte K8VM800M - Attack of the bad KZGs continues

nice

good thing is this kind of shit is slowly but surely stopping. I have a hard finding any new board that dosen't have AT LEAST the the (output) vrm poly'd
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

KZG are failing like crazy here too! It is like the electrolyte breaks down whether the caps are kept cool or not, working hard or not.. Just a matter of time.

Comment

Yeap. I have a Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 board to fix. It had mostly KZGs, with a couple of small Nichicon HMs. A few of the ones on the VRM out were bulging. I polymodded the VRM with 470uF Nich LF on the VRM in and 1500uF OSCON SPEC on the VRM out. I'll replace the rest with Nich HM when they come. I'll also put a 40mm fan on the chipset heat sink, since it has an nVidia chipset.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

nvidia chipset?

put it out of its mysery right now
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I just noticed a font I never noticed before on one of the KZGs.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Good news. Got paid for the cap swap, AND got a free IBM Netvista Pentium 4 machine on top of that. He told me smoke came out of it. It's most likely the weird form factor Hipro PSU as the mobo is Gigabyte and looks okay.
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                I know this is a low-end board but that's some serious cost cutting. The VRM has all of THREE caps. All three 3300uF 6.3v KZG, all three had gone bad. 1.3 ohm, 0.74 ohm and 100 mOhm. If the third cap had gone any worse it's likely that the thing wouldn't have even POSTed anymore. It was only running a Sempron 2800+ CPU, not some power hungry dual core. And this is a well-cared for machine, i mean just look at it, there's almost no traces of dust, that's a low power CPU and the caps still failed.
                According to cpuworld, AMD Sempron 64 2800+ for socket 754 is rated for 59W TDP. It's not power hungry indeed, but it's not a tame dual-core Intel either. That aside, I think the problem has more to do with the cost-cutting like you said. I've seen better filtering on many old Pentium II motherboards. Heck, 3 caps is not even cost-cutting... it must be a joke really .

I see you didn't change the caps on VRM high side... hope they last somewhat otherwise your neighbor might come back. Bad PSU + heat from MOSFETs + heat from CPU can dry them out fairly quickly. Given that the board still posted with 3 bad caps on the VRM low, at least it doesn't seem like a picky board.
                Last edited by momaka; 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I see you didn't change the caps on VRM high side... hope they last somewhat otherwise your neighbor might come back.
                  I don't think i've ever had to replace any of those yet.

Comment

They do fail, but rarely.

I had to replace them (3x 16V 1800uF Nichicon HN with bad date codes) in a GX270 motherboard. Also seen many bad Teapo in that section of the Asus P4SD motherboards found in HP DC5000 and D530's SFF computers. But those things are mini-ovens that cook Rubycons and Nichicons too, so I guess not much surprise there.

The 3x 6.3V 3300uF Ost RLX on VRM high in my ECS P4VXASD2+ run scorching hot when the CPU goes to 100% usage. In contrast, the 4x 6.3V 3300uF Ost RLX on VRM low run very cool. Similar thing can be observed on a Jetway N2PAP-LITE I have (it still has the original GSC ME caps in it, too).

Comment

Working...
                    X