ECS K7SEM (V3.0C) Where is the socket??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS K7SEM (V3.0C) Where is the socket??

This PC was a freebie. It had some interesting stuff.

ECS K7SEM (V3.0C) without a CPU socket I 've never seen something like this before. I can't remove the cpu! It is soldered to the motherboard! Why would anyone do that??

Btw the motherboard has OST caps in VRM. Good choice for ECS.... The medium size caps are G-Luxon.

There is a KA7500B ic on the motherboard!! Why?? This is used in switching power supplies!

Another highlight is the SDRAM dimm with a heatsink. Firstly I thought it was a Rambus dimm!

There is also a 40GB Ide 7200 hard drive unknown brand "ExcelStor" with a "Jupiter" logo. On the bottom side the controller has IBM ic.

Finally, a PCI USB 2.0 card provides 4 USB ports at the back of the PC and 4 USB ports at the front side, by taking a 3.5 slot.

The power supply is the Macron Power OEM posted here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=373

What do you think?
    Attached Files

Re: ECS K7SEM (V3.0C) Where is the socket??

ECS released a bunch of boards with "onboard CPUs" back then.
    They either had Durons or Via C3's on them, and the BIOS reported ridiculous numbers like "1800 PRO CPU" for an 800MHz Duron.

Yours has a 950MHz AMD Duron, so i bet it'll report 2200 PRO or something in the BIOS lol

Excelstor HDDs are mostly IBM/Hitachi OEM drives (made under license).
    The RAM really is oddball though.. that's exactly the same heatsink style as used on RDRAM/RAMBUS.. what the hell
    Last edited by Scenic; 12-04-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
      There is a KA7500B ic on the motherboard!! Why?? This is used in switching power supplies!
      The CPU VRM is also a switching power supply. They just cheaped out instead of using one of the dedicated, higher efficiency controllers, as on such a board it is not needed.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

At least this isn't the "2000+" board. It used an 800MHz VIA C3. A 400MHz K6-2 is faster.

That computer looks like it was assembled with the cheapest parts they could find. They even used a generic hard drive.
        Last edited by lti; 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

The processor is reported as "Pro 1400+". Its actual speed is 997MHZ, measured with THG clock.

The cpu fan was making a terrible noise and was not running well. I put some oil at the bearing and it got better.

There is also integrated SIS graphics card, automatically enabled when there is no VGA at the AGP slot. I put a Geforce2MX 200 32MB instead.
          Attached Files

Comment

lol.. so they overclocked the 950MHz duron that's on there

Comment

I saw so many dead SEM's when I worked for goodwill computer works. like 8, usually bad caps or a burned out cpu
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                Btw the motherboard has OST caps in VRM. Good choice for ECS.... The medium size caps are G-Luxon.
                With only 4 caps on VRM low, I don't see how that's a good choice at all. And these are OST RLP, which if I remember correctly are close in specs to Chemicon KY - in other words very underrated for the application. They should have been at least OST RLS (about equivalent to Chemicon KZE and Rubycon ZL).

That's a good computer for testing stuff, and maybe some office apps, but not more.

Comment

Using that number of caps on AMD boards is not so unusual though. From what I have seen there was no need for ultra low esr back then at the time of P3 and Athlon cpus. I agree that it is a little worrying and I am not a fan of ECS boards, but if you take into account that this mobo comes with on-board Duron cpu, which is not so power hungry, it may get away with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X