Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epox 8rda3+ crap cap job - need values

Anyone here got one of these boards?
    Just brought one, but it has being sloppily recapped with Matsushita NHG caps - which i believe are general purpose.
    Am also suspicious that a few of them are the wrong value/size/voltage, when comparing photos of the board

If you have one of these boards floating around, could you please have a look and let met know the values (capacitance, voltage and size),
    so that i can recap it properly

Thanks

(the photo is not of my board, but rather, what the original would have being - same model and version)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by socketa; 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM.

Re: Epox 8rda3+ crap cap job - need values

In your circle you have the CPU VRM. Fill that area with 2200uF 6.3v caps of good make (Rubycon MBZ/MCZ, Nichicon HM/HZ, Panasonic FJ/FM/FL) and it will be just fine.

Those Matsushita/Panasonic NHG are likely to be fake and you should replace all of them.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Th3_uN1Qu3
      So, am i right in saying that these caps are not suitable for a motherboard?
      Have attached 3 photos - do they look like fakes?
      Just went back and did another search and found exactly what i was looking for - courtesy of member, Per Hansson
      So yay! - made my day.
      Interesting to note that the VRM output caps are 3300uf, and that there is 6 of them - because on the microstar boards that i have, there is usually 6 X 2200uf on the vrm output, and 3 X 3300uf on gigabyte
      Why is there 6 X 3300uf on this board, rather than 3?
      Attached Files

Comment

You have no way of knowing what and how many caps were there originally. Maybe they were 2200uF but whoever did the recap decided to put 3300uF ones instead. The Panasonics you have there look to be genuine, but indeed, they are not suitable for use in the VRM of a motherboard.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
          Anyone here got one of these boards?
          Just brought one, but it has being sloppily recapped with Matsushita NHG caps - which i believe are general purpose.
          Am also suspicious that a few of them are the wrong value/size/voltage, when comparing photos of the board

If you have one of these boards floating around, could you please have a look and let met know the values (capacitance, voltage and size),
          so that i can recap it properly

Thanks

(the photo is not of my board, but rather, what the original would have being - same model and version)
          Here is a list of the stock caps from a board that I have, hope it helps.
          Attached Files

Comment

i forgot to post the link
            Here is the link

like you, and from what i have seen on other boards, i was thinking the vrm output would have being 2200uf, but they were indeed 3300uf

seeing the 3 chokes, i assume that the vrm is 3-phase
            would that be a reason why there is 6 X 3300uf, rather than the 6 X 2200uf on my other boards, which are probably 2-phase?

thanks for that list Sparkey

Comment

socketa: You might be interested in reading these two threads aswell:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7689
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9807
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by socketa View Post
                i forgot to post the link
                Here is the link

like you, and from what i have seen on other boards, i was thinking the vrm output would have being 2200uf, but they were indeed 3300uf

seeing the 3 chokes, i assume that the vrm is 3-phase
                would that be a reason why there is 6 X 3300uf, rather than the 6 X 2200uf on my other boards, which are probably 2-phase?

thanks for that list Sparkey
                If it helps, my old EPoX 9nda3J has the same VRM layout and were all Sanyo WG capacitors. The first row was 6x 6.3v 3300uf, the back row consisted of 3x 16v 1500uf capacitors.

The majority of the other next smaller sized caps down across the board were all OST RLP 6.3v 1000uf with a small peppering of Teapo SH 16v 470uf capacitors.
                Last edited by chozo4; 09-30-2014, 10:01 PM.
                Even crap caps can be useful... such as blank rounds for prop gunfights.

Comment

Working...
                X