Wine Fridge Power Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine Fridge Power Board

I found a couple helpful articles on here from people having the same problem as myself. I have the dual zone Wine Enthusiast 12-bottle fridge that lost cooling on one side. There was no power to the fan so I knew it wasn't the thermocoupler. I purchased a new board before finding this site but I immediately replaced the caps on the new board with Nichicon. Things were great for a few hours and then the other side died. Instead of another new board, I bought all new caps, diodes, and transistors to try and fix this myself. It powered right on and worked for about 15 minutes before the fan stopped. I can hear a high pitch beeping coming from the board but I can't tell where exactly. It is not outputting power. If I unplug it and wait a bit and then plug it back in, it works for a few minutes before stopping again with the beeping. Does this ring any bells?

Re: Wine Fridge Power Board

So you replaced ALL the caps except the large main filter cap? Pictures?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

No, I replaced every single cap. I'll get a pic later.

Comment

I'll probably have to pull this back out for better pics...not sure if you can tell anything; or if there is anything to even tell.
        Attached Files

Comment

Check to see if the 12 volt supply is not connected both to the fan and Peltiers with Ohm meter and unit unplugged. I think your power supply is being told to turn off. This could be with the thermocouples or the connectors from them to the power board could not be making good contact. Also the rheostats that adjust the setting could have bad connectors. You could see if the heat sink is getting hot when the fan is off. That would indicate a bad connector to the fan. Also, you could break one line going to the Peltier device and see if it pulls current when the fan is off. I believe you will find that the fans and Peltiers are connected directly to each other, at least the external fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jkessler00 View Post
            There was no power to the fan so I knew it wasn't the thermocoupler.
            This assumption may not have been much help to you. No fan power doesn't eliminate a bad fan!
            I purchased a new board before finding this site but I immediately replaced the caps on the new board with Nichicon.
            Don't understand your logic. Why wouldn't you install the new board and re-evaluate?
            Things were great for a few hours and then the other side died.
            I am not a professional appliance repair guy, but a quick failure of the new board would definitely point to something outside of the control board. (i.e. the fan, or other external part.)

It powered right on and worked for about 15 minutes before the fan stopped. I can hear a high pitch beeping coming from the board but I can't tell where exactly.
            Points to a faulty fan or other external part in my opinion. Most new appliances use brushless electronic motors. If you have the means, pull the fan and monitor the current while running it on the bench. Ditto on the cooling device. Probably draws too much current from the control board, heating up various parts. I would definitely get a service manual at this point. Let us know what you find.
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

I have been messing with this on and off for a couple weeks now. I didn't mention every little step but I confirmed the fan was good when I noticed it wasn't running. I didn't have a quick failure on a new board. This unit has two boards and the other died (or so I thought) after replacing the first board. I replaced all caps, diodes, and transistors on the second board. I had the same issue so I decided $48 for a new board was better than the time I had already wasted to this point. I plugged the new board in and now it does the same darn thing; runs for about 5 minutes or so and the fan goes off. I hear a beeping coming for both boards; both of which are brand new. I can unplug the fridge, plug it back in, and it'll run again for a bit before the left side shuts down. The left is the only one that shuts down even though both beep. It's the most aggravating thing...
              I'll try to record the current draw on both sides.

Comment

May be your Peltier module is bad?
                Never stop learning

Comment

Assuming the (new) power supply board is working, something to check would be the Peltier cells.
                  Look for shorts - from the module to chassis ground, and for corrosion from moisture on the cold side. Cheap cells do not use solder inside and are a bit fragile.
                  If originally the fan died, the Peltiers could have then overheated. They can get damaged, but usually a controller has an over-temp shutdown which might be what you are seeing trip. Five connectors and a few wires on your PCB; do you know what they connect to?

You can measure the Peltier voltage and current before/after the unit shuts down. My guess - either the cells are failing when hot, or the PSU is making an executive decision based on the temperature sensors.

Comment

If it is the left side you could connect the right power board to the left side peltier and see if the same thing happens. If it runs OK than try connecting the left thermal couple to the right power board and see what happens. If it still is OK then try connecting the left rheostat to the right power board.

Comment

I had a spare Peltier that I swapped in this morning. The fridge stays running now but the left side throttles down after a bit. The voltage is exactly half the right side to the Peltiers. All connections are tight. The only thing I am not certain on is the single wire that connects to both boards. I have to connected to CN4-Fan on both. I have the fans connected to CN3-Fan. I still hear beeping from both. It sounds like a hearing test; high-toned and very faint.

Comment

You should check the current draw of the Peltiers, most of the time it shorted out and tries to draw lots of current and causes power supply to go into shutdown/restart cycle.
                        Never stop learning

Comment

Well, now both boards and both Peltiers are new. I changed the first chip with the first board. I am at a loss.

Comment

What's it doing or not doing now. One or both sides cool, fan runs etc.
                            Does it have a door switch?

Comment

The left side runs but throttles down to half speed after 20-30 minutes. The right side stays running fine. Both sides cool. I don't believe there is a door switch but I'll double check.

Comment

I checked everything over again tonight. I did find that the two big caps that I replaced on each board were 220V instead of 200V. I'm not sure how that happened but that is the only thing left I can find to try is to put the originals back.
                                I did this because I've heard over and over that these boards come with junk caps so I replaced all with Nichicon.

Comment

I would double-check the polarity and value of the new caps, and their soldering. Then I would confirm the cables/connectors didn't get mixed up. A felt pen mark or two helps.
                                  220V primary caps are OK. It wouldn't give troubles you are seeing.

I found a schematic for a wine-cooler power board that looks similar to what you might have, except that extra socketed-DIP IC. I can't read PCB part #'s in your pics.
                                  That circuit shows it's an always-on 12VDC 5A power supply and a thermistor/op-amp with power transistor (somewhere) linear? controlling the fans and Peltiers, which are all in parallel.
                                  The temperature sensor on CN1 has something in series on CN2 which I think is a door switch.

You can try warming up the temp sensor with your fingers or a lighter and the voltage to the Peltiers/fan should ramp up. Or apply ice and it should back off.
                                  Can you check the 12VDC is always good, LEDS not flickering etc.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by redwire; 12-29-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

does the cooler have a compressor?,or just fans?,ive known compressors to draw too much current on fridges/freezers and cause problems
                                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                                    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
                                      does the cooler have a compressor?,or just fans?,ive known compressors to draw too much current on fridges/freezers and cause problems
                                      RTFT
                                      Peltier cooler.
                                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

S.t.y.f.a.ole
                                        fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                                        please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Working...
                                        X