Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Welcome to the Badcaps.net Tech Forum! > Announcements & Related News
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #18621
circuitmonkey

City & State: Defiance, OH
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Thank you for adding me. I am a noob, but I can change. I have come to the component level repair game late in life(When I was born the Dead Sea wasn't even sick). I have been building a lab for the better part of a year and learning as much as I can about PC, Laptop, TV, ect.. I have tinkered for years, but this has become a serious affliction in the last year. It seems one of the biggest tools I am missing is a reliable schematic database and each time I use the Google machine to find one or some obscure piece of information, I wind up on Badcaps.net.
I am currently learning hardware hacks via Bus Pirate and trying to figure out how to reset BIOS, TPM, among other things(the local check cashing business has a seemingly unlimited supply of machines they took on pawn, and of course they are locked in one way or another even though they have not been reported stolen). I have been able to make basic repairs(some not so basic) with micro soldering components, circuit repair, and basic install/upgrades to operating systems. When I make a sale, I buy more equipment. I spend a weekly budgeted amount on things that are broken and try to make them work again. This forces me to look up data sheets on board components and by proxy learn how the device works. I think I have the basic equipment and I try to learn more about it everyday. The spare room in our house has been turned into an electronics diagnostic and repair lab. It has been equipped with a full sized office desk, a custom built PC(MSI/AMD EBAY SLAP TOGETHER) with a 55in monitor(fixed EMERSON), and this desk is stuffed with every incidental I have needed to buy in order to progress, plus things I just thought I would need while I was semi-intoxicated. As I accumulated more, a work bench was constructed at the same height and depth as the desk, but 6ft long. I filled it the first day. It holds a Lenovo desktop(Had no operating system, $10), Hakko Iron, Quick 861DW, Amscope, Tektronics 2430A, Wavetek 270 freq. generator, GW Instek DMM, some random 150Mhz frequency counter, Sweepwave Ultrasonic Cleaner, a toaster oven(if you don't know, don't ask. You won't believe me), copious amounts of alcohol and assorted chemicals, solders, fluxes, solvents, component kits, dental tools(you see? Why I couldn't just develop a cheaper habit like cocaine is beyond me), and so much more it makes my head hurt.
I also work a 60+ hour per week job that has NOTHING to do with electronics, so some days are less productive than others. I have no idea what some of this stuff is capable of, but that is the fun part. Also, my life long friends have no interest in any of this and I have no one to talk to that knows more than me(I am a monkey with a soldering iron, I KNOW NOTHING) and I fear that places me in a bubble of stagnation. It is frustrating to say the least.
I also would like to get to the point where I can contribute by reverse engineering boards. I looked into Boardview awhile back, but it seems to be geared toward MAC(I have zero interest in MAC) and I never really got further than realizing it wasn't working at the time. Maybe I should revisit it? Maybe there is something better? This is why I am here. To gain knowledge from a community that lives in the circuit world. So, thank you for your support in advance and I apologize in advance for the stupid questions I am bound to ask. Thanks again.
circuitmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #18622
krazyspank

City & State: Westminster, Md
My Country: usa

Hi My name is Danny. AKA krazyspank. I am new to these types of forums and hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I recently broke my leg in 2 places and needed surgery, I have been going crazy just sitting around doing nothing while my leg is healing. My TV blew up, smoke coming out! and with not working money is scarce, my son had a tv that was knocked out in a power surge. I got it out and watched a few you tube videos, sent the board out and it was fixed.
So now I found a few free tv's friends have given me to see if I could fix.
Something to do until I can get back to work.
So any help or guidance will be appreciated.
krazyspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #18623
specialedge

City & State: Fort Worth, Texas
My Country: United States

Good evening companeros. I found this forum via a google search for Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 board, and am glad to be here!
specialedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #18624
BernBlaze

City & State: Ontario
My Country: Canada

HI, I’m kind of new to the whole electronics repair, but I came after a search to repair me tv led me here. I am an electrician by trade, and have a basic understanding of electronics.
BernBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #18625
dpl

City & State: Brooklyn, MI

Hello all:
looks like a very informative site.
Thanks for all the posts and expert information.
dpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #18626
basskilla

City & State: BP
My Country: Hungary

Hello!

I'm a hobbyist in technical world,and I would like to learn more in this forum.
basskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #18627
KPC

City & State: Kittanning PA

My first post, came here by the recommendation of shop jimmy for tech support regarding a tv with no backlight
KPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #18628
amarkula

City & State: Satakunta
My Country: Finland

rgr this rq, hello, over'n'out.
amarkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #18629
ed.zwirs@ericsson.com

City & State: netherlans
My Country: Hilversum

Let me introduce my self
I am Ed and I am 57 years old with a lot of experience in Panasonic equipment.
An I like the badcaps.net too share information.
ed.zwirs@ericsson.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #18630
caig20

City & State: Aberdeen
My Country: Uk
Smile Old Dog but New Tricks

Hi All,

recently retired and looking to relearn old skills. I have worked on electronics from way back but as you progress through your career you lose connection with hands on skills. Started in 1970 working, relay systems, electronics and computer 1975, moving onto computer science and automation by 1985. Now with micro electronics in mobile devices I see a new challenge that I will enjoy in repairing devices as a hobby and also other consumer electronics goods.
caig20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #18631
bioschi

City & State: Texas

Hello everyone!
I've been working on computer repair and cellphone repair for over 8 years, and started doing micro soldering about 3 years ago. But still learning, and that's why I am here.
bioschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #18632
johntomswift

City & State: Overgaard

hello folks, john here, looking for info on a hp monitors pile'o caps... Seems to be a pretty good forum, lots of info... experience wise I may describe meself as a semi-noobie (snubie) just fixin stuff that folks happen to bring around. My dayjob was a foam flipflop patcher (no leather please) retred of course.. Longing to bring happiness to those lives I may trip over :-)
johntomswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #18633
js205

City & State: Charlotte, NC

This is my first post. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to post. I guess I just need to be smarter.
js205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #18634
disgusdad

City & State: mn
My Country: usa

Greetings and salutes.
I have been tinkering and inventing since the 70's. Thank you for the resource.

-gus
"Knowledge is good"
disgusdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:03 AM   #18635
alpersen

City & State: izmir
My Country: turkey
Line Voltage: 220VAC 50Hz

Hello, my first post. Was searching for how to fix my parents tv (sony kdl-40w5500) i came across this forum. hope it will be an interesting journey
alpersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #18636
winternacht

City & State: California

Hello everyone, looking forward to learning a lot more about the fundamentals of electricity so I can fix more things.
winternacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #18637
duke2k

City & State: BC

hello. found this site by searching for gl752vw schematics.
duke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #18638
Dhandyman4u

City & State: HAYWARD
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz

Hello. My name is Dave and let me begin by thanking you all for welcoming into your forum. I stumbled upon your forum while researching and troubleshooting a Panasonic plasma i have become obsessed with trying to repair. I utilize forums of various types all the time but i dont tbink i have found one that is as useful and relevant as this one, while at the same time maintaining a community vibe that is so positive, supportive, inclusive, and just friendly and fun.

Anyway, i dont want to blather away too much but a bit about my background. Professionally i am a plumber and a handyman and literal jack of all trades. I am especially passionate about electrical work and consider enrolling in a a program to get my electrician's certification. I am an OCD problem-solver and get literally absorbed into the various puzzles and quests, treasure hunts and wild goose chases my obsession for fixing things leads me to. I am a lifelong, daily learner who hates to see good things simply thrown away and wasted....when they can often easily and cheaply be fixed with a little effort and patience. I absolutely abhor how disposable and consumption obsessed our society has become. This of course drives me at times to hoarder-dom, as i just accumulate all this useful crap cause i cant seem to let it go to the landfill.
But i digress.....the caveat is that my actual electro ics and components experience is limited, but i am an eager and enthusiastic learner. And i am excited to learn from each of your iwn wisdom and insights....and hopefully share some of my own....eventually.

Well i guess that's about it....except to add based on the first few posts in this thread that my very first computer was an old Tandy Trs-80 with a cassette drive i used to write little Basic programs for. And then i got a Commodore 128....which to my mind absolutely sucked compared to the Commodore 64....but at that point i guess all i wanted to do was play Ghostbusters and didn't realize that the computer had already begun its evolution into the personal desktop computers that would change the world forever once the Macintosh and Pc's began to fully take root in our homes.

Thanks again.
Dhandyman4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #18639
elektronikrep

City & State: Aabyhoej
My Country: Denmark

Hello Badcaps Forum.

My name is Anders and I'm from Denmark.

I've been trying to get into the art of repairing LCD/LED TV's the last two years or so. Finding my way to get to know TV's, troubleshooting and so on, I have come across a lot of forums, with various content, badcaps seems to be the place to be, thoug!

I have my education in repairing electronics, including maintenence and a bit of software. But mainly I'm a hardware guy.

Generally I seek info on troubleshooting TV's, as the request from family and friends keep growing.

I hope to get accepted, and I really do hope I can help other badcappers, with other problems.

Thanks!

Best

- Anders
elektronikrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #18640
Tupp

City & State: BC

Hi, trying to fix my dell 2007WFP monitor
Tupp is offline   Reply With Quote